• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b21ft turbo exhaust manifold question

BryantTF242

so i removed the heat sheild, and all 8 bolts holding the manifold on, but it wont come off, any tricks or ideas on how to break it loose from the block? it wont even wiggle, it is stuck on there, i dont think anyone has ever taken it off, everything rusted on like mad, i sprayed some WD-40 on the bolts before and after removal to.

There are 2 bolt holding it on from the bottom. Look underneath by the o2 sensor and you will see the bracket.

Put a big screwdriver down between a runner and head. Gently start applying prying pressure to see if you can pry it loose to get it off.

not that i can see? just one bolt for that itlle peice of flimsy metal used as a heat shieald near the alternator. i tryed prying it, its wiggling off, got it not touching the exhaust gaskets anymore, but still doesnt wanna come free, you have any pictures or diagrams of all the bolts? how many am i looking for, i took of the 8 from the cylinder head, and in all my books i cant find any pictures or discriptions on how many or were to take off the bolts.

i see one bolt, ill undo it. also would the turbos oil return line give me issues? it seems pretty still and i dont know if it will flex enough to hold the header away?

Later cars have a support bolted to the block and the bottom of the manifold similar to 740s. 81's have a ring bracket that I honestly can not remember how it attaches to the head/block, but I remember it being a pain to get off.

Oil return shouldn't be an issue, but you may find it easier to pull it off now instead of pulling the whole assembly out if you're going to re-use it. Its easy to bend.

2 bolts hold a bracket to the block, 1 stud goes through that bracket and holds everything together. You can't take the manifold off because the bracket is holding that stud in place even if you remove the bolt.

I went through the same thing, it is there.

ok found a bolt, just removed everything touching the manifold basically lol, still no support bolt though? got it off, new gaskets are in, engine bay is nice and quiet now. :)

Took it for a nice little drive, just got back, everythings nice, but some exhaust gas is still escaping from the manifold, can hear a fluttering under the hood at WOT around 2500+rpm (with the old gaskets it wasnt even a flutter it was just straight wooshing out the gaskets). During teardown i noticed cylinder number 1 has no bolts holding it on at all, and one stud on number 4 just at the tip (still enough to be used, but the small amount is still stuck in the nut), so im missing 3 nuts at the moment, gonna stop in at Volpar after school tomorrow and get the parts i need and hopefully it will sound better after that.

New studs and nuts all the way across the exhaust manifold will do you a lot of good. While you have everything apart swapping to a 90+ wouldnt hurt.

manifold itself is in good condition, no visible cracks, so ima stick with this one for right now. but yeah good idea, might aswell replace all the hardware. do the studs screw out or must they be drilled out?

Back