• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My $30 paint job (warning, #ruined content)

kevbot

illuminati confirmed
The original paint on my '90 745 had ben bugging me for quite some time. The hood and roof were extremely faded, and there were scratches/keymarks/gouges all down the sides. Figured it was time for something new, so last week I took action. Here's what it looked like before (sans roof rack):

3343BE87-6722-429D-8F6C-CF35DC023C84-4651-000003FC68A74262.jpg

And after $30 and about 3 hours of effor in my garage one night, here's the finished product:

DSCN0802.jpg

DSCN0810.jpg

DSCN0804.jpg

DSCN0830.jpg

DSCN0834.jpg

DSCN0848.jpg

This was with Behr outdoor paint from Home Depot, rolled on with foam rollers, and I used one of those small 1" foam brushes (like we used during arts and crafts in elementary school) to get in the tight areas, behind the door handles etc. Two coats. I used less than half a gallon of it for both coats. Wheels were done with Rustoleum gold metallic, two coats, and then a coat of clear. Prep included: removing decals, pressure washing and taping. Didn't sand anything. Once everything had cured I slapped the euro stripe kit I recreated back on, this time in matte black vinyl.

I'm very happy with how it came out. Up close it's not perfect, but it looks much better than it did before. It definitely needed paint and I couldn't justify spending hours of bodywork filling in scratches and hundreds of dollars on a professional paint job just for it to eventually get backed into in the Walmart parking lot one day down the road. If it were to get scratched or damaged now, there's nothing stopping me from breaking out the can of paint and touching that area up.

Hope you like it! And for those of you who don't, sorry I ruined a rare 745 ;-)

How drab :-P

Nice job though. I think you may be able to use plastidip glossifier to even out the finish if you are so inclined.

I've heard of people painting their Jeeps with rollers using Rustoleum. The one I saw was orange and the dude spent a lot of time sanding and polishing afterwards to get a gloss shine.

Saw a car painted with a 3" brush using TCP Global base/clear, holy wetsanding, but turned out as good as a sprayed. It was solid color, no pearl or metallic. He said that he spent enough on paper to buy a gun, and rent a booth with a compressor. He was hoping to save money, but really didn't.

I dig it! I have a guitar that matches too (for a national touring artist)

large.jpg

;)

Saw a car painted with a 3" brush using TCP Global base/clear, holy wetsanding, but turned out as good as a sprayed. It was solid color, no pearl or metallic. He said that he spent enough on paper to buy a gun, and rent a booth with a compressor. He was hoping to save money, but really didn't.

This is the absolute truth here. You can get away with "cheap" ways of applying paint if you're willing to wetsand and buff but you're just making 100000x more work for yourself.

Pretty sure this is house gun with a house paint left at the end of a job. Dont reallly know, it was the PO's work, and I never met him. I replaced the worst oversprayed windows and stuff.
20140106_161838_zpsc5d3fc40.jpg

Back