• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

For those who have converted power to manual steering...

BudGT

I'm going to gladly junk the PS pump in my 242 and loop the lines on the rack. But I've heard people say that they have drained "most" of the fluid. How much is most or how much do I leave in?
Thanks.

I also absolutely LOVE mine, and it is even my daily driver. I personally think it handles better, I feel like I have more control over my car. I would highly recommend this mod to anyone, it was well worth the time...and all the lost weight too! :lol:

Sounds good, looks like its a go! :D
My PS rack is a pre-79 unit, are the 79+ racks stronger and a worthwhile upgrade?

This makes me wonder.. if my rack is leaking a fair amount.. might i be better off to just take out the pump, drain out as much as possible then let the rest just leak out and be good to go for awhile before i get a new rack?

I guess my main question is, when you are trying to park or a something will i swear and say i wish i had power steering? Or is it not to much of a prob. Do you need to have two hands on the wheel to corner all the time?

I had a '78 GT that had a bad rack, and I went through all that trouble to swap in a manual rack.

I had 195/60/15s and the smaller GT wheel and the only time I missed power steering was tight parallel parking spaces. Even then I didn't curse it...

I still remember the smile on my face when I threw it into a sweeper. Anyone do this mod on a 7 series?

-Dylan

Hello

We took out the p/s on my car before MD inspection. It wouldn't pass without a properly working pump or a manual rack. I purchased the manual rack thinking that I might just keep it instead. No way. It sucked big time, way too slow a ratio. As soon as the car passed inspection, the old rack went back in, sans p/s of course.

Chris

wait. so u can just convert your current PS pump to manual by draining the PS fluid? someone mind elaborating? i was considering buying and installing a manual rack. whats betteR?

you can remove PS pump and just loop the input and output hoses on the rack. if you decide that you'd rather have a manual rack, this mod will have cost you nothing.

242GTMD said:
We took out the p/s on my car before MD inspection. It wouldn't pass without a properly working pump or a manual rack. I purchased the manual rack thinking that I might just keep it instead. No way. It sucked big time, way too slow a ratio. As soon as the car passed inspection, the old rack went back in, sans p/s of course.

Ah, that sucks! Mine passed VA inspection just fine w/o PS, no rear seat or rear seat belts, a burned out license plate light, and my rear turn signals painted red. I really like that inspection station!

thnx doug and applejuice. that seems pretty cool. question? while i'm at it, you know taking out the PS pump and such, can i just drop out the compressor also, that is assuming i don't want AC. this way i can lose the belts and the weight. seems like a real nice cheap mod to me. thnx again.

Can the pump be removed and leave the compressor? I have to take a better look at the car tomorrow.
If I do take out the compressor, what else to I have to remove from the AC?

Dump it all!

my_engine_edit.jpg

Back