• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Knocking/binding while turning revealed something strange

wishicoulddrift

First post, here we go!

The first time I did a u-turn in my 76' 245 there was a strange popping/tire draggin/chassis wigglin sound coming from the front suspension. It does not happen in the act of turning the steering wheel (spring binding or upper strut mount failure), but once I reach full lock turning to the left...

My order of operations has been:

1. Wheel bearings - checked bearings and repacked them. The problem continued
2. I then found a post about worn rod ends causing noise and some play, mine ended up being fine.
3. Inner rods...same
4. Ball joints at the base of the shock, also good
5. The bushing look a little suspect, and while I was inspecting them I found this. (note the washer to nowhere and additional hole?)

MtNluRz.jpg

Which caused me some pause... so I took the bolt off and found this...

hRhTOFi.jpg

Why would this have been done? Both arms look the same and nothing seems to be bent, so I cannot wrap my head around it... Also, could this rotate the ball joint and mess with the suspension geometry enough to cause the issue with my left tire feeling like it is binding or dragging when turning to the left?

Thinking I should just buy a new arm, new ball joint, put some poly or delrin bushings in and throw this arm in trash.

I think you answered your own question..gotta take it back to where it should be. Then if there is a problem it will make itself clearer

Someone installed the wrong lower ball joint and drilled the lower arm to make it work.

I suggest replacing both the lower arm and the lower ball joint.

To help clarify it looks like the ball joint for the opposite side of the car was installed there and since it wouldn't line up as Planteman says. They had to drill a hole to make it work. that would make the caster incorrect and I'm thinking the binding you are noticing is probably the tire rubbing on the antisway bar or inner fender.

Thank you all for your replies. After seeing planetman's reply i looked into it and came to the same conclusion dl242gt. I did not see any obvious areas of wear in those locations, but to be honest, I did not investigate too closely.

My brake booster just decided to go the way of the dodo, so I will be fixing that first and will update this thread once I get to the arms.

-Stephen

Back