• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 Canadia 245

Broke4speed

In 1994 I had an 85 244 GLTic as my very first car. I brutally murdered it, due to lack of knowledge of car repair/maintenance. I then got into watercooled VWs, and stayed with them until recently. I sold my restored/modified 1983 VW Rabbit and used some of the funds to buy this:

564092_10151952685890038_163811745_n.jpg

1987 245, M47, full of woodscrews (PO), in need of floor and rocker repair, and no current ownership. That last one is first on the list. The PO is looking into replacing it, but I have an affidavit already drafted and waiting...just in case.

Plans include a stripdown (already started), a T5 swap (deeworks adapter on the way), management conversion (Motronic 2.9 from an OBD1 VW 2.0...XDF and Ostrich ready to go), and boost. I'm big on hybridizing, and am the author of the XDF for that particular bit of management, so hey...why not! :)

[edit]Grr, photobucket is not co-operating[/edit]

Last edited:
Looks good. Met Jen and Jay yet? And Matt and John, too, I guess :p

I have a nice(ish?) '90 that I drive up there a couple times a year to visit the wife's family.

I'm actually outside the city, in Marionville (near Russell), it's easier to say Ottawa because nobody's ever heard of Marionville, lol. I work at the old RCMP HQ on the Vanier Parkway, so I'm in town all the time.

It's not a bad place to live, IMO. Half an hour to the city, (40km) and I'm 10' outside Ottawa's limits.
Not to mention I've got a nice driveway for parts-car stripping...which brings me to ask: anyone have a parts-car they want to get rid of? I need a few things for my 245 :).

Hey I know a guy who works for the forensic dept. at the RCMP near Ottawa!! And we have a shop in Moose Creek that I have to visit from time to time. Acres and acres of corn fields!!!! :-P

Started tearing into the driver's side rocker, which was full of fiberglass (PO). Yeah, I love the way Volvo ran the floor pans right to the outer rocker lip, and seamsealed the inner rocker to the pan. Rotten from front to back, sigh. I was going to fast track this, but I think maybe now it will get stripped and flipped on it's side for a full redo. Did it on my Rabbit and never regretted it. For me, project cars are just something to keep me busy, and that type of job usually covers a year or two, lol.

Made a trip to the scrappers and found a 91 240, with the AW55 auto of all things. Very odd. I snagged the passenger seat to replace my driver's one, the rails switch easily. I'll have the tilt/lumbar on the inside now, but that's not a deal breaker. I really like stock 240 seats, so it's worth it :). I also got a replacement center console, and some proper bumper trim to remove the nasty rubber flaps woodscrewed to the fender by the PO. I may go back for the entire front bumper, since it was in better shape than mine, which is tweaked slightly. There's also a 940, so I was thinking of grabbing the diff, but that's really low on the priority scale. If I can dig up a cordless sawzall, I may cut out some chunks to fix mine with.

Nice to see more ottawans! Or surrounding area anyway. We just moved from boons between carleton place and Smith's falls. We're moving again close to the airport. There's 2 other guys close to there, bonerjams240dl and turbomatic2010. 1983volvo245 in almonte is super cool. EUROmotion is downtown, there's a pile more just spitting out the ones that i see at least semi regularly. If you're keen on wasting some time head over to OT and hang in the Ontario thread. Ottawa 's Volvo scene is growing lol. I have a 1983 244 you're welcome to take or just pick the bones of.

The same ones I pulled the glove box out of? And hopped the rear end? LOL

If that 940's a 91-92 GLE, check under the hood. Might be a 16v, which I'm kinda looking for >_>

Where'd you find a yard that has 240 stuff? I haven't had much luck finding one.

Kenny U-pull Ottawa has a single 240 (91, LH2.4 w/black ignition box), AW55 tranny, B230F. It's got a good black interior, but the seats are missing (I took the pass seat, the rest were already gone).

There is a 940 B230F automatic non-turbo, and a 960 w/the whiteblock inline 6. A few 850s and S70s as well. All non-turbo :(

The only other yard I could recommend is Europarts in Aylmer, but everything you get there is the owner's "last one", so you need to have a desire to haggle, lol.

Nice to see more ottawans! Or surrounding area anyway. We just moved from boons between carleton place and Smith's falls. We're moving again close to the airport. There's 2 other guys close to there, bonerjams240dl and turbomatic2010. 1983volvo245 in almonte is super cool. EUROmotion is downtown, there's a pile more just spitting out the ones that i see at least semi regularly. If you're keen on wasting some time head over to OT and hang in the Ontario thread. Ottawa 's Volvo scene is growing lol. I have a 1983 244 you're welcome to take or just pick the bones of.

Cool, thanks :). I'll keep poking and see what I end up looking for, lol. Right now I'm in the middle of fighting with the front bumper shocks, which started out with me wanting to get the bumper mounted straight. The PO loved to smash into things it seems, because the pass side is tweaked slightly and the driver's side 22mm bumper bolt tore out of the sheetmetal. It's tough to get a socket on a bolt when the head is sunk through the metal it's supposed to be mounted to, sigh. Then I find out the captive nut is loose too, so now I have to cut open the channel and re-tack it. I swear, I never had this much issue with my VWs over the years...it's a good thing I'm really into this project, lol.

Howdy! I can't see the pics (work blocks out ALL picture hosting sites :( ), but I'm sure they'll be familiar, lol. I don't mind the welding/metalwork, I just HATE using grinders. Had a cutting disc shatter on me a few years back while doing a bit of contract work at a local garage (engine swap in a VW) and the only thing that kept me from being blinded was the shield I was wearing. Luckily I was wearing a long sleeve work coat because the shrapnel tore everything from my wrists to my shoulders to shreds. Now I'm a bit gunshy when it comes to cutting metal. C'est la vie I guess, in this hobby, lol.

Tonight I'll hopefully get that #%$&#*!! bumper shock out and I can start straightening everything. I'm sure the wife will love it when I tell her that I've got to buy some torches to fix the car. Ah well, what can you do...happy wife, happy life doesn't apply in the garage ;).

I. OWN. STUPID. UFCKING. BOLTS.

In a rare moment of calm and rational thought, while carrying the tools of destruction towards the car, I walked back to the toolbox and got out a 'modified' 22mm open-ended wrench I had for working on VWs. 10 minutes later, the offending bolt is out :D. I now see I am going to need a new driver's side bumper shock, as it's definitely destroyed. The bracket is bent, and the shock itself is in multiple pieces. What I thought was the passenger side being too low was actually the driver's side being too high. Looks like I'll be making a trip back to the scrappers for a replacement bumper shock...and a passenger headlight assembly :oops:. Got a bit too frustrated yesterday...

I think my Deeworks T5 adapter is in! I got a parcel ticket in the mailbox today, and Roger said that it would probably go out thursday or friday last week...

Can't wait to see what SantaPost has for me tomorrow morning! :D
I also get to go pick up the ownership, which the PO had misplaced but jumped through the hoops to replace for me. Today is a good day.

Back