• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

KL Racing 8v NA Header 2017

jsdevel

My quest to purchasing one of these originally started out as a group buy feeler for a KG Trimning Type 2 Header. Ronald (culberro) sold me on KL Racing. Total cost was $288.48 (after shipping). It's essentially the KG Trimning Type 2 Header with the exception that the collector is advertised as 2.5" OD (just a smudge above 63mm). I placed the order on their website on November 18th, and received it December 1st. 13 days isn't bad considering it shipped from Sweden to Phoenix, AZ over Thanksgiving weekend and made it's way through customs!

Packaging

Here's how it came. Didn't appear to have any dings. Right around 3' in length.

sbPAcfg5xPp9CGsKSPDFrkK1ObC8DGkvfyYveQIPBnpS4AahmRrVQs3oh7wscYAQL_i8makcB4tJUH2-glFpBkrJAcKdJx9JnT44dNa9YLRxXQ8xnPt1b-RN51vgi-5XdKsoKEE3sQ

It also came with a sticker and a bottle opener. Free swag anyone?

VCK1B8zZ9F60NbwaOre0UtVRdkLgAxN6ZHlQNgxEcCrbt8tyMlasCPVTY6KHa4t4zjvajRmAiEMGHedGfreuNsFYDpfUc9kXhIgkGSIwrYx9UBO79rcnxw1FkawxfagjgADL8Y36Ig

Collector

Measuring the collector:

wMMe8FYAuWnWq54DasrpFOKOQfebNWIbWCP-zb4vhuDZ9XlSewNAuswUIPr4M9qO61riG8L8cO7Cyh4LFTjNDNTS6rrHgGioGZmNeq-WAXAB3OQvE7Av0x3l67LxHVNhzTRab1D9SA

I like the flow inside the collector:

i8tMn_HljesiGP4qsTjyHu9I5gS6gziN8jj3d9nsM5dPIgqBzLVW-T3_3DROF3BXJ76X1u0ya_fTY0EtA1lpD-uJjpFBI0ZQ2-DQEiw4zKgZGGKoVgcAQshUvuOd6a1-vHplu2-VBg

Size Comparison

Comparing it against the stock header assembly. The secondary and primary tubes are clearly longer:

dUsb4Z8jlF1dRLO3b9Z5Yzi0huPRYoF0498t9NOzvAnONWmGNyRbaFboHfiH51w4oo6-LGRUHrk2fL0WFkKlSra7cXGRfh4u0XPvg8pUynp5Kn_rhtmwNfBR0PL-H1VWTHBjVhChCA

Weight Comparison

I wanted to compare the weight with the stock header assembly.

Weight of the stock header assembly was roughly 27.7 ibs:

6AHHGYRoH2YOVLEUnxNK8Rjh66u7EsvYVHlAY0uw_BFTHwz7y9PhPzKk0lMy0BQ-aWVzMjmMmASZcgYDrSGIgro8jY8NziIPtsKOZOI47v0sqFdsahAqLTYZewuQm55DAn3LEvYtPA

Weight of the KL Racing header was roughly 13.8 ibs. 14 ib reduction isn't bad!

MBJ1CYfNmzVL8bWzj6F-71InuKCocka6nDW5a0vf4Wm0ZK0H2syS76y_swki6n3ndpgKswSlqRj9ybcyyAoN4XmfZBVM1G5o3-aDoSfcq6Hef0JNaOZNhV9jvcb7xoZjJtUi-qU6Wg

Overall I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

Missing Bell Housing Bracket An Issue?

G0cJkLt_dGOEtjwHZ2GBxH2hvEN3MmfxJqlmFqJ2ZDnxDwpggfT52nGsVEbMiZirZ3S1qywXzOCfS4rCg9zbHWnChGUD-uyjPLt2MlT0TFVJUeeD_j1DRKT1wnYfk7cT1SGocYs3sQ

Has anyone had any issues without the bracket to stabilize the header to the bell housing?

Not needed with the 1 piece header?

Looks good. Nicer than the Folkrace header I installed on a 745.

I made a bracket to support the header. Just a piece of 6-8mm thick steel stock welded across both runners (secondaries) and a threaded hole in the plate. Mating to the original springy-wire style holder. Fits like stock.

Nice weight savings! Might have to pick one of these up for the daily.

I would probably weld on a tab to mount it to the bellhousing, just for peace of mind.

It is less weight though

Yea, I think I'm calling BS on the bracket with the new header. I mean, look at all the hooker headers out there for 350 Chevy's. You'd think if headers cracking was an issue then they'd have brackets on them as well, but they don't.

Do yourself a favor and have is ceramic coated . It will add years to the life. Also post thought and gains in performance and mileage. Real interested in one

Yea, I think I'm calling BS on the bracket with the new header. I mean, look at all the hooker headers out there for 350 Chevy's. You'd think if headers cracking was an issue then they'd have brackets on them as well, but they don't.

Yep. Replaced A LOT of header gaskets over the years. It isn't going to break the header, but the additional support would take the stress of the bolts to head- that is welcomed even if a lot lighter. Less movement at the gasket interface. YMMV
If one did not want to weld on the nice, new header, an exhaust clamp could be used with a fabricated bracket.

Yep. Replaced A LOT of header gaskets over the years. It isn't going to break the header, but the additional support would take the stress of the bolts to head- that is welcomed even if a lot lighter. Less movement at the gasket interface. YMMV
If one did not want to weld on the nice, new header, an exhaust clamp could be used with a fabricated bracket.

Dang. Well, I think this alone is going to make me weld on a bracket. The exhaust pipe I picked up is fairly heavy. I could see the lack of a bracket causing unneeded pressure on the header bolts.

Curious what mods you've made to the car.

• MS2 - Full sequential, ls2 coils deeworks 8v bracket, modified firmware to cut AC compressor at TPS Flood Clear setting
  • Single in tank fuel pump, AN line, ADC fuel pressure sensor
  • cold air intake, K&N filter
  • IPD VX Cam
  • IPD Lowering Kit, Konis, 5spoke 940 turbo wheels, IPD sway bars
  • 940 electric fan conversion
  • Parallel flow condenser with custom AC lines

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and have is ceramic coated . It will add years to the life. Also post thought and gains in performance and mileage. Real interested in one

Yes. I'd really like to have it coated. A local coating company said the lead time was about 2-3 weeks as ceramic coating is a bit of a process.

In addition to improving velocity (due to a reduction in heat loss through the tubing), the engine compartment should stay cooler. In Phoenix AZ that would be huge.

Dang. Well, I think this alone is going to make me weld on a bracket. The exhaust pipe I picked up is fairly heavy. I could see the lack of a bracket causing unneeded pressure on the header bolts.
I don't think it is a structural issue per se. It would take a lot to break the bolts and the header for that matter (although weird stuff happens with steel, high heat, and cracking). My recommendation was purely from the annoyance of gasket replacement. There is a reason that bracket is there from the factory.
Look forward to updates.

headers come loose because the gaskets relax in never put a header on anything that didn't need to be tightened up later, everything from cheap to 1000 a pair

Yes. I'd really like to have it coated. A local coating company said the lead time was about 2-3 weeks as ceramic coating is a bit of a process.

In addition to improving velocity (due to a reduction in heat loss through the tubing), the engine compartment should stay cooler. In Phoenix AZ that would be huge.

Ther is a place in Jonesboro Ga that should be quicker. Do t remember the name but I have spoke with them several times but found some one local to do it cheap on a plus 90. Problem is he stopped doing it. You all got me wanting to order one and my money is funny right now. Going to trim some fat and will see!

Back