• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1+1=245

That's all you did today?
yup and hung out with the kids. Anticipating this weekend :run:
At least I will finally replace my "noisy-since-new" 10k mile TO bearing :grrr:

I don't get it.????1985m???? No smog???
All my cars are smog "exempt" - I only have to smog them when I sell them. They are all registered in middle no nowhere Siskiyou county

the main bolt I get....but the chain link!?
With no damage to anything - car was a daily driver to the PO

He will sell everything, but not a car, :-P

I make more $ selling parts

yesterday I found out that the formula for the Rustolum hammered paint has changed and brake clean takes it off........:raincloud:

I stripped the block and pan again but this time used Duplicolor engine paint.

IMG_4857_zps9fe53c1e.jpg

much better
IMG_4861_zps77d14718.jpg

This morning Im here - went inside because it's hot

IMG_4858_zps42a48244.jpg

went out for 40min in the afternoon and did this
IMG_4860_zpse998fee4.jpg

Last edited:
Good call on the duplicolor engine paint, the clear coat for the engine paint really helps the resilience to chemicals btw, if you haven't done that already.

too late :( - although clear tends to turn yellow

Yesterday I feel a little behind schedule after swapping over bunch of little things to the new block and going to the JY for a timing belt cover (b21-b230 are different)

This morning I got the engine and trans mounted up
went together like magic on the first try :cool:

IMG_4863_zpsc8dd150f.jpg

turns out I also been panning for gold with the old engine
IMG_4864_zps60255c2f.jpg

I made my own clutch alignment tool - I cant find my old one
IMG_4866_zps26ef7405.jpg

and a hybrid b21 to b230 head rear timing belt cover to get the timing marks
IMG_4865_zps2c6e8c29.jpg

Last edited:
Dood its been like one day with no updates. Did you give up?

no crushing just yet:-P

It's all the little thing that keep slowing me down.
- trim coolant hoses
- fabricate turbo oil drain - (b230 drain is longer than needed for a b21ft block)
- thunderstorm rolled in while I was working :grrr:
- install correct hard lines for turbo - even though this one came off a b21ft it was jerry-rigged at best

I still need to
-set timing
-fabricate exhaust

IMG_4867_zps322e0c09.jpg

IMG_4868_zps74020c41.jpg

Got it running and driving but only with an open donwpipe (modified 940)
way way too loud.

I still need
- sort out a couple of vacuum hoses
- solder in a ground for AMM
- install early windshield washer reservoir in passenger butt cheek
- get a BOOST gauge
- get a proper filter - not some $3 JY special
- finish installing exhaust

IMG_4871_zps00941535.jpg

IMG_4872_zpsee4071a9.jpg

You need these...

photo%25201.JPG

I had the ends for a TD04 turbo, welded to my B21FT oil lines...for a direct-fit, bolt in solution, that's as good as factory.

^ I made my oil drain pipe already - see 2 post above
The oil "feed" line I will make out of AN stuff eventually. I just wanted to get this thing running ASAP since it's my DD

I spent most of my day rolling around in the dirt fabricating the exhaust from 4 different setups
Catback is IPD sport pipes with ANZA muffler

I still need to sort out some hangers - currently hangers and bailing wire in few spots

Modified downpipe
IMG_4875_zps52b297c8.jpg

IMG_4877_zps788f77bf.jpg

This was a perfect opportunity to get rid of the leak-prone oil drain hard line by incorporating a flex section (and would have required no welding) oh well.

Curious what it sounded like open downpipe. I was concerned about my exhaust being too loud (940 dp --> 2.25" straight piping over axle) and I was amazed by how quiet it is, mufflers on turbo Volvo's almost seem like a waste of time (on stock diameter piping at least)

Also curious about this washer resevoir install, as I have not yet found a suitable replacement for mine yet.

This was a perfect opportunity to get rid of the leak-prone oil drain hard line by incorporating a flex section (and would have required no welding) oh well.

Curious what it sounded like open downpipe. I was concerned about my exhaust being too loud (940 dp --> 2.25" straight piping over axle) and I was amazed by how quiet it is, mufflers on turbo Volvo's almost seem like a waste of time (on stock diameter piping at least)

Also curious about this washer resevoir install, as I have not yet found a suitable replacement for mine yet.

- leak prone oil drain - The set up that I replaced had a flex section that was leaking.
I didnt know these are prone to leaking - My 850 leaked everywhere but from that line :rofl:

- sound - If you ever seen the b21ft tractor video it sounded just like that. I drove around like that and to my surprise no one even glanced at the car :omg:

- muffler - said muffler but I cut it at the base - I get what you're saying but I installed it because on rare occasions I want to hear my kids in the 3rd seat
cbm0.jpg

- washer reservoir will wait a week or eight - Its small, maybe a quart and it came on pre 1980 245 (i think)

-
- sound - If you ever seen the b21ft tractor video it sounded just like that. I drove around like that and to my surprise no one even glanced at the car :omg:
Not gonna lie, I think my favorite part is the burbble, crackle and mini-backfires on decel, combined with the fact that sitting right next to a cop they will look everywhere else for where the sound is coming from :lol:

- muffler - said muffler but I cut it at the base - I get what you're saying but I installed it because on rare occasions I want to hear my kids in the 3rd seat
...and here I was thinking that main reason for placing children in a rear facing 3rd row seat was to NOT have to hear them ;-)

Not gonna lie, I think my favorite part is the burbble, crackle and mini-backfires on decel, combined with the fact that sitting right next to a cop they will look everywhere else for where the sound is coming from :lol:

...and here I was thinking that main reason for placing children in a rear facing 3rd row seat was to NOT have to hear them ;-)

I also love that BUT I already have an 850 with 3 inch full exhaust that does that
and a supercharged t100 with headers and very short exhaust that also does that

Kids still sit there for that reason, :nod::nod: Now, they just don't have to yell to let me hear them.

That muffler install looks super cool. How's it sound?

Thank you, I also like it
Inside the car it's very quiet - I hear the intake suction to about 4k then exhaust comes in

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sv4Ah9s7DkE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back