• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kenny's 1990 740 GLE, goin' for 9's

thanks to gary's link in the adapter thread :hifive: I've got some thinner adapters coming to hold me over I think. Might require some light recessing of the new wheels to clear the oe studs, but should move things inward juuuust enough. we'll see. going from 32mm to 24mm. a bit of a balance struck between what I really want, and what's fairly safe. We'll see how it works out whenever they get here.

I ain't scared of adapters, they did fine in the big wreck of '10. but that link and that site is awesome.

got the front brakes replaced (pads, rotors). uneven wear on the old stuff, probably build up from rust and other ****. bouta re-do wastegate hoses and fittings, and then re-check the duty cycle tables. giggidy (I think)

Having dealt with em, I was impressed. Couple years ago when I got the set for the STI's they had 1 machine down, still had my stuff cut and delivered in around 8 days. He said they normally run 2-3 days to make, then they ship em out, plus they were getting an 3rd machine in within a couple weeks. Even the guy on the phone was cool to deal with.

sweet.

so, had to update the firmware on goldie this evening, this fixed a number of small issues I was encountering. also enabled tuning mode for the bias table.

everything was great up to 270kpa, bumped the target to 290, it went to 310ish, but not after tickling 47psi (timing induced creep). made some adjustments, and then lost the signal line going to the solenoid. and the line going to the fpr and cbv. (oops). tickled 50psi, only took it about a second to go from 10 to 50 lol. Even without the line going to the fpr, it was a solid 11.1 afr, probably would have been like 5:1 with the additional pressure hahahaha. (side note, the boost pressure was higher than base fuel pressure)

anyway, after sorting some things out and ****ing with stuff, I think it's time to do some high speed tuning at the track. It took the abuse today like a champ.

and the brakes oh mahhhhhgawwwwwwwd no steering shake at all anymore sooo nice. too bad the rest of the interior is a post-katrina disaster.

loaded up n waitin'

162570158.jpg

gotta stop by the parts store on the way (some brake cleaner, smaller zip ties, nitrile gloves, and spark plugs).

not really anticipating anything crazy, just wanna get in some tuning and seat time, try and hash out the off-spray ignition map a little bit. It'd be nice if it trapped over 130, but's probably a bridge too far at the moment. I anticipate 2nd gear traction to be a very limiting factor, but with the newly discovered launch method maybe I can at least cut some sub 2.7 60's on the street tires (not wheel spin, btw, that would be turbo lag). I'll be fairly happy though if everything goes well and the car doesn't break.

So, some good, some bad, and some work to do. Traction comes easier with functional traction control (which the 940 has, the gold car, not at all). no amount of shenanigans could help the cause at the top of 1st and most of 2nd gear. On the best pass, I let it get all the way up in 1st, shifted to 2nd briefly and went to 3rd and let it eat. I tried a couple of times to hold 2nd out longer, but as amusing as drifting down the dragstrip is, when it's side ways at 75mph and not at all trying to straighten back up there's just not much there. I should've pointed the camera backwards to see all the shenanigans.

Anyway, I do have some mechanical/electrical gremlins to work out, rather than spend the afternoon tuning timing and afr's, I spent more time verifying that the TDC angle hadn't changed for whatever reason it keeps changing. First pass I noticed it, it had drifted off by 20 degrees. two passes later, it'd drifted 10 degrees. The good(?) side of it is it always retards, so I don't end up with 10 degrees of extra timing. It's unnerving though when you shift to 3rd at 25psi and it makes odd noises and doesn't go anywhere, and then won't idle worth a ****.

In spite of all that, I put a whoopin on an ls1 camaro and turned in a 12.3@124.5. By far the best no spray performance this car has ever turned in, and only ~4 mph off from what it ran last year with slicks and spray. The 60's were worked down systematically, but the problems arose at about the 63 foot mark when it would actually get going, blow the tires off violently, and refuse to hook back up until 3rd gear was selected. Ahhh, what fun street tires are.

Boost was rock steady though at 25psi, so I have that going for me.

162574459.jpg

first set of slips. the 14.1@101 was the pass where the timing shift was the greatest (-20 degrees or so), it spun and wheel hopped in 2nd, shifted to 3rd and it just laid over so I lifted out of it. haven't found the video from that, but I did panic a little and thought I'd blown something up. it was running like total garbage, wouldn't idle really, wouldn't accelerate off of idle really, I thought I'd done it up but good.

162574460.jpg

second set. two passes getting it to make a consistent 25psi (and it did!), third pass I re-verified and re-set tdc angle, and bumped it up a degree or so above 5000 rpms. made mucho bettero powero.

currently wondering if it's possible that the engine vibrations are causing/allowing/making the cas move. I can't get it to budge by hand, but vibrations they do funny things.

Think I'll test this theory by rotating it full lock in one direction and marking it, see if maybe it moves (or the timing drift stops). if it's not that I really can't even begin to imagine what the problem is.

it's all basic ****, set up per the ms3pro docs. I flipped the edge on the cam input just to see, and it caused all sorts of havoc once the rpms got over about 3400, flipped it back and it's been fine. I sent an msq/datalog and questionaire to diy asking about it, but I doubt very seriously that it's a problem with the box. when it's set, it's flawless. not even the slightest amount of jitter at the crank or the cam marks.

got some wrench time today, and surveyed a couple situations. I appear to have over-filled the transmission a little, that would be the primary cause for leakage. there are a few smaller issues that I'll resolve another day (you gotta kinda dedicate a day to transmission stuff, it just plainly sucks to fall into that out of necessity), mostly due to the un-finished atf catch-can I cleverly put down by the trans mount and failed to vent up. lot of mess there. Minor mess by one of the trans cooler lines, I think it may just need to be snugged up though.

clocked the cas all the way in one direction, so if it moves, I'll know (or, if it moves in the direction it's bumped up against..well it just won't move now will it?). Also finally got around to installing my yoshifab breather adapter plate. got a little too deep into that project before I realized I did not in fact have all of the fittings and hoses needed to fully improve upon what I had, so its.. better, but I'll have to redo the drain hoses after spending some money with summit. no biggie.

it's amazing how much better the car is running now than even a week or so ago. gotta stretch those legs more often.

apparently my cas is sending mixed signals (well, unequally timed ones at least) at steady rpms. will swap that dude out with the hot spare and see if it's better or worse. If that doesn't work, well something else is on the way that oughta hopefully maybe do the trick.

the current best is 5 years old I think, 10.4@128ish. The *current this year* is 12.3@124 (or 12.4 or something like that). street tires no spray no traction.

I'm waiting on wheel adapters before I order stickies, then I'll see what I can do without having to short shift to 3rd.

swapped the cas from the 940 on. tooth logger shows more consistent triggering at constant rpm, so that's nice. May go on a test drive a little later. going to try and get the tractor stuck in the mud first.

Back