• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tell me about the 2.4L D5 Diesel engine...

mike114

I am contemplating a transplant in my otherwise mint 1990 245 Wagon w/M47. There are two reasons for this: 1. To have Diesel/TDI bragging rights, and 2. To possibly start drifting the car (just for fun :nod:), and I assume the torque will help with this.

Has anyone ever put one of these into a 240?

I guess these are also considered "whiteblocks," so the difficulty in transplanting one of these into a 240 should be about the same? (The oil pan needs to be modified, I guess?)

Can I have this bolt onto my M47 or is it better to get a M90 adapter plate with a T5 transmission? (Even if I can bolt the M47, I am guessing it will grenade pretty quick due to the torque?)

Is the conversion pretty much the same as a whiteblock conversion?

So many questions...

Try finding one in the States 1st, then see if you can afford it.

TDI in a 240 has already been done, no bragging rights for sloppy seconds.

I'd research what transmissions have the ideal gear ratios along with the strength.

You want a D3, the D5 is a 550Kilo 4.7L monster.
img_3814_3.gif

Torque varies by generation the new ones will lunch your M47 pretty quick
Got 3000+ Euro for a standalone ECU from Bosch? You won't get off idle without it.
Maybe the marine ECU wold work, but probably not well.

They do it in Sweden.
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-M3P3kLFTQY?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

for the new model which is mechanically different;
http://www.volvopentastore.net/files/t_d3_190_i_b_utg03.pdf

Last edited:
There is some info about it floating around on TB. I think Otto_B had some good first hand info about the management side.

Used D5 (car) engines are roughly 1000 euro here if you want it with accessories and turbo/mani etc.

Such an engine in a 240 would be nice. i think the fuel pump, which is located at the back of the cylinder head, will interfere with the firewall. For the rest the swap will be like any other whiteblock swap, no rocket science and possible to do with many Volvo parts to keep it easy to service etc.

You want a D3, the D5 is a 550Kilo 4.7L monster.

Just to clarify - I think he means the whiteblock-based D5 motor that FWD cars got in europe.

It would probably be expensive to get the motor here. Before you start, I would get Vadis and dig up a couple of D5 specific part numbers, then call a couple dealers and try to order them. If the dealers will order you parts then that helps, but just keep in mind that either way, getting replacement parts will be an ordeal.

I always thought a 5 cyl diesel from a Sprinter van would be cool.

Just to clarify - I think he means the whiteblock-based D5 motor that FWD cars got in europe.

It would probably be expensive to get the motor here. Before you start, I would get Vadis and dig up a couple of D5 specific part numbers, then call a couple dealers and try to order them. If the dealers will order you parts then that helps, but just keep in mind that either way, getting replacement parts will be an ordeal.

I always thought a 5 cyl diesel from a Sprinter van would be cool.

According to wiki the first gen D5 motor is from 2001 onwards. So what is the volvo diesel that was in earlier v70s? My dads 98 V70 has a 5 cylinder turbodiesel (in the UK), that I always thought was known as a D5. It certainly looks like a whiteblock to me. Any significant differences there to the later ones? Easier electronics for the swap? That motor is pretty sweet, its not "fast" but it still gets 35 mpg towing a 1500 lb trailer and will pull hills at 70 mph while doing it with 300 k on the clock. No amount of loading seems to slow it down. In a 240 it would make a great road trip vehicle.

According to wiki the first gen D5 motor is from 2001 onwards. So what is the volvo diesel that was in earlier v70s? My dads 98 V70 has a 5 cylinder turbodiesel (in the UK), that I always thought was known as a D5. It certainly looks like a whiteblock to me. Any significant differences there to the later ones? Easier electronics for the swap? That motor is pretty sweet, its not "fast" but it still gets 35 mpg towing a 1500 lb trailer and will pull hills at 70 mph while doing it with 300 k on the clock. No amount of loading seems to slow it down. In a 240 it would make a great road trip vehicle.

Yeah, there's another one. Probably the same motor that was in the "850 TDI" as well. Probably VW based. Maybe similar to the spinter van motor. Either way, you'd still probably be better off starting with the variant that came in Sprinters, so that you are at least dealing with a motor that was supplied to the North American market and aren't shipping a 500+lb motor overseas. Cars eventually end up needing parts. Parts are typically easier to get hold of if your engine was actually sold on your continent.:)

According to wiki the first gen D5 motor is from 2001 onwards. So what is the volvo diesel that was in earlier v70s?
D5 Penta is a large genset motor.

D3 Penta is a high speed diesel whiteblock boat motor strangely called a D5 in the car, but you can buy it in the US as a D3.
2011?D3 redesign shares no mechanical parts with prior ones, but is good for 220 HP continuous.

The earlier cars had a VW 5 cyl just like the D24, but with TDI head and pistons.
2 and 7 cars in some markets had the D20 earlier version of this in IDI form, as did Audi.
This is the only one you'd be able to run a mechanical pump.

Yup, that's the one I was looking at. I'm (somewhat) local so I can go check it out. Please let me know if thre is anything I sould be looking out for while I'm there. Thanks.

Do you have Audi 5 cyl diesels in USA? Same that Volvo 850 diesel had. That is nice swap to RWD Volvos. For a diesel.

This is one beautiful project

http://www.vrcf.fi/foorumi/index.php?topic=10788.0

In finnish but much piccies.

No. AFAIK, Audi does not use the 5-cylinder in their cars for the US market, and certainly no 5-cylinder diesels. IIRC, Diesels only started coming in Audis again in '09.

Back