• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Aftermarket speakers

Volvo OEM speakers are sized between 6.5 and 5 1/4. 6.5 doesn't fit without cutting door frame and speaker edge. Speaker hole in door card is too big for 5 1/4. I'm inthe middle assembling 6,5 speakers in my 940. Will mount directly to the doorframe with 9 mm plywood adapter.

I've read that 6" will fit under the speaker grilles, but you'll have to trim some of the frame off the top and bottom of the speaker frame. Someone here has pictures...

I put my 6.5" behind the doorcard so the grille would fit with out any issues. Also you'll probably need to cut some sheet metal to fit a decent magnet

Volvo OEM speakers are sized between 6.5 and 5 1/4. 6.5 doesn't fit without cutting door frame and speaker edge. Speaker hole in door card is too big for 5 1/4. I'm inthe middle assembling 6,5 speakers in my 940. Will mount directly to the doorframe with 9 mm plywood adapter.

Good idea on the spacer...but do yourself a favor and DON'T use plywood or MDF. Get some expanded PVC, AZEK, or ABS plastic instead. Won't soak up moisture, rot, or breed mold/mildew.

You're welcome

Plywood should be ok, it's reasonably moisture resistance, especially painted. The cargo cover in the wagons is already made of plywood and it holds up well. MDF is definitely a bad idea though.

I used 5 1/4 on my 91 and they fit great. Need to put a couple new holes but everything is behind the speaker covers. If you want pictures pm me and I'll take some.

I did too, same speakers now in my '90 were in my '87, 5.25" Polks, no modifications to the car except for screw holes to hold the speakers. Fit perfectly under the stock grills.

lol I know. For their age, they're not that bad but it's definitely time for a replacement now that I'm running JL Audio 12" sub

Back