• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Re-attaching vent window latches

driedle

Hey everybody:

The driver's side vent window latch came off on my 1971 164.

I looked at lots of different ways to re-attach it, and finally found the way to do it.

First, you have to purchase a Permatex Extreme Strength Rearview Mirror Adhesive kit. It must be the extreme strength version, but is's less than $6.00 US. This is the same product that is used OEM for many automakers.

81840.jpg

Remove the vent window, and fill in where the latch attaches on the outside where the latch button attaches so you know where to put it.

Flip the vent over and scrape all of the old, failed adhesive with a razor blade. When the glass is completely clean, wipe it down thoroughly with acetone so the glass is spotless. Do not touch the area with your fingers once it is clean.

Make certain that the vent window mount is turned clockwise all of the way by pressing the lock down and rotating the button. This will make certain the vent window is set up correctly to be attached in the locked position, and it can be unlocked by pressing the lock button.

When the button is set up correctly, scrape all of the old adhesive off. When that is done, take a piece of 400 grit sandpaper. wet the back, and place it on a bench or table. The water will keep the paper flat. Gently sand the button so that the entire surface is roughed up. Clean the button with acetone, and do not touch it once it is clean.

Remove the treated towel from the foil pack and wipe vent window where the button is to be attached. There is an adhesive activator in the towel. It takes two minutes for the activator to get ready.

In the two minutes the activator takes to work, clip off the end of the small adhesive tube and apply ONE drop to the center of the vent window latch button.

When the two minutes are up, press the vent window latch to the vent window, using the black area showing through as a guide, and hold it in place for one minute. Make certain that you place it in the correct place, because you will not be able to remove it from the glass once it is attached.

Once the latch has set up, set the vent window aside for 24 hours. This is very important. You can attach a rearview mirror after 30 minutes, but high-load applications like vent windows require 24 hours to full cure.

After 24 hours, reinstall the repaired vent window and enjoy!

David Riedle

True.
Only use "one" drop as stated. More is not better in this case.

Also, I have found that you should not clamp the latch after gluing.
Holding it by hand has worked better for me. Clamping seems to squeeze out too much glue.

You are right, you should not clamp anything. The glue sets in about a minute, so its not really important to clamp anything. The important thing is the preparation, and allowing it to cure completely.

David Riedle

Back