• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Front Caliper Lower Pistons Not Releasing

DpetersVolvo

1985 B21FT.

Replaced both front calipers with rebuilt; front drivers side not releasing all the way - after driving a bit the wheel heats up and you can feel the car won't glide like it should.

Popped out the brake pads and the lower two pistons will not retract together - if you push in on one, the other pops out, but if you hold one the other cannot be forced back in. Uppers are fine. Also the bleeders for the lowers don't bleed much.

I loosened the lower line and the pistons both retract normally, with fluid squirting out at the nut. Same if I open the bleeders. So the fluid is not flowing back to the MC.

Suspected it might be the junction block, but reading here it seems like this is not a failure mode associated with that fine part. I find it kind of hard to believe the line would stop up enough to prevent the brake from releasing, but could it be anything else?

Internally swollen hoses are common.

Brake_plug1.jpg

Make sure the master is retracting fully. You could check that by loosening the nuts holding it onto the booster and let it float a bit away from the booster. Get the brakes binding first, then see if the pistons retract when you do that.

I don't know why this would change if you didn't work on the master, but it is not hard to check.

Internally swollen hoses are common.

Brake_plug1.jpg

Roger that, makes sense. The flex lines are all old. I was able to crack all the fittings back to the junction block; inboard of the flex line I got no juice when I gave the brake pads a squeeze, but outboard of the flex line I got fluid when I loosened the fitting and did the same.

I'll get new flex lines on order. Fittings are all pretty clean.

May be a while before I follow up, but I will do so.

Your car takes 4 front hoses and 2 rear. It's a good idea to change them all if they're the same age.

Back