• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need my diff welded

Ill give you a call tmr john and we can figure out when to do this. Ive still got to do some stuff to my car still before i drive it to far anyways

Heard axle shafts like to break with welded diffs, keep one in the trunk.

Very true. I'm on my 3rd set. Try to keep both tires on like/smoothish surfaces. All mine I've broken have been from questionable conditions... ie: sliding onto pavement/gravel or washboard gravel roads

I'm not sure about keeping it in trunk though, I've done ~30miles twice in one wheel mode. Just don't let the good wheel spin :lol:

And if you break one, replace the other. I promise it isn't far behind ;) The shaft that doesn't break will have a wicked twist in it.

I'm one more broken axle from doing the 8.8 swap though...

use a 110 volt welder if your going to weld it.

it's not an issue, welded the diff in the drag car with my lincoln 135, it's seen many a broken axle.

He is young..... He will love it. Just don't get it wrong! Tires will only squeal on warm days. It will ALWAYS be easy to get sideways..... Practice will quickly have OP so that when it gets sideways his heart doesn't jump into his throat. That is good experience that the rest of you should have for your driving!

OP you have somewhere you can practice being a savage without getting in trouble? You will need to get up to speed.

OP will have to sign a release..... I'm not going to get introduced to that unpleasant person by the name of 'SUE' should he join the Rainbow Bridge Club after wrapping it around a tree cuz he got sidewayzzzzz.

LOL

they chatter and bang and pop and are generally not that much fun at very low (parking lot) speeds, this is what makes them undesirable in a DD type of car.

My biggest gripe with my short time with a welded diff was that my car got really pushy on corner-entry. Since I prefer to trailbrake into slides (I just think it looks better and is more fun than handbrake or clutch-kicking, like a respectable gentleman's way to drift...), the welded diff had to go. In fact, the only time I liked the welded diff at all was once the car was fully sideways, other than that it just made my car understeer and chatter all over the place.

Mike

My biggest gripe with my short time with a welded diff was that my car got really pushy on corner-entry. Since I prefer to trailbrake into slides (I just think it looks better and is more fun than handbrake or clutch-kicking, like a respectable gentleman's way to drift...), the welded diff had to go. In fact, the only time I liked the welded diff at all was once the car was fully sideways, other than that it just made my car understeer and chatter all over the place.

Mike

Mike is 100% correct. It is somewhat undesirable (low speed), but if you're a clutch kicker like me you'll love it. It will make the car push/understeer horribly, but this is easily fixed by kicking the clutch. I welded the diff in my 242, and I like it...but sometimes it gets old. If I were to mess with mine again I'd put an ARB locker in. :)

Welded> g80 IMO. I tried a stock g80 and a modified one. Didn't really care for either. Ended up breaking it. I snapped 1 axle with the g80 in my old 745.

weld it, slide or die, turn it into a daily drifter :p, if you dont have it welded by the time i get mine welded, ill tell you where im getting mine done

I've driven & drifted many a welded diff 240(Nissan)sx. Wicked fun!! But like everyone is saying its not a great DD (I know of 3 people who do it currently).. count on new rear bushings in a year or less.. not sure how it is on a volvo

I welded the diff in my E190 and fox body and HATED it. The tires broke loose easier on turns, and with the open diff the 2.3 hardly had enough power to spin one tire. When it comes to taking turns, if your tires lose adhesion with the road you will be slower.

Drifting might be fun, but by taking proper turns, maintaining adhesion and accelerating out of the turn you end up faster and your car is less likely to break. For street racing or drag a welded diff might help a little, but not worth the "side effects" IMO.

U wouldn't want a welded diff for drag racing or street racing.. do it proper so u don't get all fubar - just drifting ^.^ when breaking loose around corners is the goal

U wouldn't want a welded diff for drag racing or street racing.. do it proper so u don't get all fubar - just drifting ^.^ when breaking loose around corners is the goal

your post makes no ****ing sense at all, Are you saying that a welded diff is bad for drag racing vs an open diff? With no listed alternative to justify your blatantly ignorant statement I can only conclude that you've gotten high sniffing glue and are no longer cognitively attached to your hands as they post.

Back