home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 10-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
cookieboy
Board Member

Default Should I dismiss a 240 with a cracked airbag pad?

So there's a 240 with a salvaged title for sale at a small dealership but I noticed that the steering wheel pad where the airbag is was cracked in a few spots and I could see the airbag through the cracks. Is that something that I need to be overly concerned about and can it be addressed inexpensively or should I walk away ?
Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 AM   #2
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Pick n Pull is selling airbag wheels again.

Draw your own conclusions.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor

Or just install an aftermarket wheel.

Why was it salvaged?
"I think that man was put here on earth to live, not just to exist" -- Robert 'Evel' Knievel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted View Post
Can't be bothered to spell correctly?
Can't be bothered to speak in coherent sentences or use capitalization or proper punctuation?
Can't be bothered to find your tools to do some actual checking on your own?

...Go Fish.
Shifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
VB242
One hundred gift baskets

I wouldn't count on an ancient airbag to save my life anyway.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
lummert
Board Member

The air bag on my 88 765 is disconnected.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieboy View Post
So there's a 240 with a salvaged title for sale at a small dealership but I noticed that the steering wheel pad where the airbag is was cracked in a few spots and I could see the airbag through the cracks. Is that something that I need to be overly concerned about and can it be addressed inexpensively or should I walk away ?
Check the car closely for frame damage. Knowing what I know about these cars, if the air bag was deployed previously and it has a salvage title, I'd keep looking for a better car as there is a good chance that one is bent.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
swedefiend
Board Member

Quote:
There was a place in Birmingham, AL that charged $75 to place a car on a "frame jig" (not really so since our cars are unibody) and determine if the car is square.

For another $50, they would pull the car square (if not severely wrecked).

If the price is right, you might try finding a place with a similar deal.

Just my .02
swedefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
John242Ti
manofewords

I'd look for a car that has a clear title.

Also, don't limit yourself to 1990-93 240's. The 1989 models are mostly the same, but without the bomb in the steering wheel. I've actually downdated my family's '92 to an '89, since it had the 1st generation bomb installed.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. 1987 764Ti - beige, Aw71 (for sale). 1989 745Ti - red, Aw71. 1992 245 - white, Aw70 (for sale).
Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
dl242gt
Can play the blues

Check out the rest of the car and see if it is a good project. The air bag stuff isn't a big deal to either fix or remove.

I also removed the early air bag in my 93 wagon. After you remove the steering wheel, remove the clock spring and then bracket for the turn signal and wiper switches. Get the bracket from a 1981-88 model without air bag. the wiper and turn signal switches don't have to be changed. Then use what earlier steering wheel you like. I put a GT horn pad on one of my spare turbo wheels. Gave one of my friends the parts like the steering wheel, airbag, controller, and backup power supply.
1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear adjustable suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" rusty MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+. D&F Performance flowed 405 with enem V15 turbo cam, Clanky worn True Track diff. Flat hood 1979 242 front.

1993 245 Classic, 411k miles, enem V15. 5spd. IPD bars and chassis braces. New Simons sport exhaust from Scandix.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
cookieboy
Board Member

Quote:
Or just install an aftermarket wheel.

Why was it salvaged?
Good question, the seller doesn't know. He's a small independent dealer and he got the car from a donation station.
cookieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
cookieboy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John242Ti View Post
I'd look for a car that has a clear title.

Also, don't limit yourself to 1990-93 240's. The 1989 models are mostly the same, but without the bomb in the steering wheel. I've actually downdated my family's '92 to an '89, since it had the 1st generation bomb installed.

-J
Thanks John, I'm actually looking for one between 1987-93 So I definitely wouldn't dismiss the '89's and older. I thought I had found one but it sold before I could get down to see the car.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor

Stick with '88+ ftw, '87s still had the disintegrating wiring.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #13
cookieboy
Board Member

Quote:
Stick with '88+ ftw, '87s still had the disintegrating wiring.
Good advice, thank you. I couldn't remember what the cut off year was for that.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Somewhere in 87, [I think late in the year] so many of them are good in fact I wouldn't write off any of the LH 2.2 cars since most have replacement harnesses by now anyway...

Edit:

Or even a nice B23 / LH 2.0 car.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #15
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor

The other thing though is that even if the underhood wiring has been replaced, the same stuff was used throughout and tends to fail sooner or later, especially at flex points like door bundles.

Can't remember when in '87 my 745t was made but I had stuff starting to crumble everywhere.

Going down that road again I'd definitely dig into it here and there to see what kind of shape it was all in.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #16
cookieboy
Board Member

You know, something else I forgot to mention was that the shift light was on which wouldn't go out when I hit the button so I wasnt sure was if it was the OD relay or what because there was some wires taped onto the auto shifter from just underneath the knob and going down towards the tranny that someone had obviously rigged up for some reason so that left me hesitant as well. I spoke with the seller at the lot since then and he said that his mechanic got the light to go off and it wasn't the relay, but that the button has to be jiggled a certain way. But unless he took it for a drive, a I still don't know if it up shifts into fourth gear which of course leaves me rather hesitant on this car, what do y'all think ?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #17
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Sounds like a problem child.

Drive it and offer him maybe half.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #18
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
The other thing though is that even if the underhood wiring has been replaced, the same stuff was used throughout and tends to fail sooner or later, especially at flex points like door bundles.

Can't remember when in '87 my 745t was made but I had stuff starting to crumble everywhere.

Going down that road again I'd definitely dig into it here and there to see what kind of shape it was all in.
All I have is older 240's, mostly 83's. They are all fine except the engine harness or other usual problem areas that all 240's have.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #19
John242Ti
manofewords

^Yeah, it seems the biodegradeable insulation problem ends at the firewall, and typically avoids the body harness, except the constant idle harness pigtail on turbo cars (protip: if you need to replace that pigtail, find a 1981 49 state DL or GL with the aux. air valve - pigtail is there, but stuffed inside the strut tower, looking like new)...

-J
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 AM   #20
LloydDobler
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedefiend View Post
There was a place in Birmingham, AL that charged $75 to place a car on a "frame jig" (not really so since our cars are unibody) and determine if the car is square.

For another $50, they would pull the car square (if not severely wrecked).

If the price is right, you might try finding a place with a similar deal.

Just my .02
Given how little is adjustable on the alignment of these cars, usually alignment is all you need to know if the car is square or not. If it aligns, it's very unlikely that the body is bent. If a setting is too far out to be corrected that's a red flag.
'05 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car
LloydDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #21
cookieboy
Board Member

So what do you guys think of the Jeri rigged shifter with the wiring going from it down to the transmission ?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #22
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Good bones and a straight body are the problem pieces anymore, with the cars outliving their 20 year 'lifespan'.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #23
Harry Tuttle
Board Member

I think this car sounds like a problem. Is the price extremely low? Are you looking for a project? It seems like there should be other 240's for sale in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs
who cares, push start it if you have a man tranny.
Harry Tuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #24
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
Given how little is adjustable on the alignment of these cars, usually alignment is all you need to know if the car is square or not. If it aligns, it's very unlikely that the body is bent. If a setting is too far out to be corrected that's a red flag.
You can do a basic alignment and the car still be bent as !@#$. The front unibody bends quite easily on these cars during a crash.

Quote:
So what do you guys think of the Jeri rigged shifter with the wiring going from it down to the transmission ?
It's a turd. How many times do we have to tell you it's a turd before you get the message and move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Good bones and a straight body are the problem pieces anymore, with the cars outliving their 20 year 'lifespan'.
This. This. And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
I think this car sounds like a problem. Is the price extremely low? Are you looking for a project? It seems like there should be other 240's for sale in CA.
It's most likely this car since it's near him, priced low and has a salvage title.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ct...340740403.html
Old 10-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #25
cookieboy
Board Member

Well, I don't know what happened, but my post disappeared so I'll type it again. That is indeed the car. I Wasn't trying to beat a dead horse with the tranny question, I just wanted to clarify since there seemed to be some variance of thought on that but I have decided to leave it alone and search elsewhere. Better safe than sorry.Thanks again for your time and input everyone.