• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b23f 10.3:1 snapped timing belt

really.

Considering you probably used the starter or jumped on a breaker bar to take it off i don't see how you made the mistake of thinking 22 was tight :lol:

Reading comprehension much?

Torque wrench failed. Was set to 122, it clicked when it did. Didn't discover the issue later until I inspected the wrench while redoing the t-belt. Relegated said Craftsman torque wrench to breaker bar usage after it was replaced with a working copy.

-J

Found that TDC was 90 degrees off at the crankshaft. The crank pulley marks were off by 90 degrees. Looks like someone put the crank "balancer" on 90 degrees off. I removed the crank balancer, and put it back to where it should be, and of course the car fired right up and is back to it's old self.
Sorry, but it seems like there's something missing here. I always thought the B23f had a crank gear and hub, with a 2-piece pulley bolted to the front of them. With the gear keyed to the crank, it should only go on one way. So if the crank gear, cam, and intermediate gear are timed properly ("Belt is 100% timed. So no lame questions asking if I am incompetant and didn't do the timing belt replacement right"), just taking off the pulley and putting it "back to where it should be" won't change anything. UNLESS you meant to add "... and then I reset the cam &/or ignition timing using the newly positioned pulley marks", which would be even stranger, since the pulley should have 6 bolts, making a 90 degree turn impossible. :???:

Who the **** cares.

The car is running, the pulley notch is 90 degrees (or so off). But who cares, everyone has something to prove, especially on the internet. The 245 is running great once again.

Sorry, but it seems like there's something missing here. I always thought the B23f had a crank gear and hub, with a 2-piece pulley bolted to the front of them. With the gear keyed to the crank, it should only go on one way. So if the crank gear, cam, and intermediate gear are timed properly ("Belt is 100% timed. So no lame questions asking if I am incompetant and didn't do the timing belt replacement right"), just taking off the pulley and putting it "back to where it should be" won't change anything. UNLESS you meant to add "... and then I reset the cam &/or ignition timing using the newly positioned pulley marks", which would be even stranger, since the pulley should have 6 bolts, making a 90 degree turn impossible. :???:

Who the **** cares.
Jeez, lighten up.
How about anyone else who may have a no-start condition?
Or anyone who is trying to help someone else diagnose a no-start condition?
I guess we'll just tell them that all you have to do is rotate the pulley a few notches, and if that doesn't work, scrap the car.
Have a nice day.:neener:

Back