• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AQ130 (B20) rebuild for a 122

Yea... Still trying to make a decision on how proceed with this build haha. I know what the ideal build for would be, but I also know I could never personally justify the $4k+ It would take to do that.

If I do the budget build I'll be about $1,200 into it. That's everything including the b20 itself and new clutch. I could always come back later and put a hotter cam/lifters/springs.

Thanks man! I hope to make a decision about the build by this weekend and can let you know!

No problem. Let me know if you need it, shipping should be trivial.

Just got a really nice job offer in Seattle. Stay tuned,might be de-hoarding a bunch of push-rod stuff including a serviceable F-head. Might be a good option for you if boat head mods don't work out.

No problem. Let me know if you need it, shipping should be trivial.

Just got a really nice job offer in Seattle. Stay tuned,might be de-hoarding a bunch of push-rod stuff including a serviceable F-head. Might be a good option for you if boat head mods don't work out.

Yea, that might be a real good option! Is it together? Should already have hardened valve seats right? Keep me posted and thanks!
Also what brand is the head gasket?

It is a Payen, it is probably the same one that you have. Did you measure yours? It is probably 0.040".

I'll check it and will report back. When you say serviceable head, what does that mean? Haha

Also, congrats on the job offer. Seattle is cool area.

hey sspony - I emailed you pics of that cam. I also couldnt find that set of pushrods, sorry I might have mistakenly given those away, but anywho, the Isky "Hi Rev kit" from ipd can actually be had for about 180.00 on summit if you substitute summit lifters...
pushrods - ISK-MG-003
lifters - SUM-HT992

or you can do all isky for about 40.00 more
lifters - ISK-202H-8

Unfortunately due to time/economic restraints it looks like this project will be put on hold for now. At least that gives me a little time to come up with a more detailed plan.

Join the club, I've been adding parts to my b20 build stockpile for 2 years now... looks like this spring will be the final parts order for the b20... For the last year I've spent my money on getting the turbo set up and I figure that the B18 bottom end is about toasty, so its a good time to get my sh!t together and finish the b20 bottom end up.

Join the club, I've been adding parts to my b20 build stockpile for 2 years now... looks like this spring will be the final parts order for the b20... For the last year I've spent my money on getting the turbo set up and I figure that the B18 bottom end is about toasty, so its a good time to get my sh!t together and finish the b20 bottom end up.

You are running a B18 block with FI heads? Any detonation issues with the wider than piston combustion chamber?

My B18 is in great shape, PO had it rebuilt. Thinking about going with Jenvey ITBs as I want to keep the block and head as is. Jenveys are spendy, but cheaper than a new engine.

yep, B18 block .040 pistons, B18 HG. No issues with detonation up to 15psi, timing in that area is around 18* +/- 2* depending on RPMs. Idle timing is at 13*, and max is 38-ish at 40kpa/4k-rpms... Lately I've been noticing slightly louder than normal valve clatter, but its been 6 months since I checked them, its on the list for this weekend.

Last edited:
yep, B18 block .040 pistons, B18 HG. No issues with detonation up to 15psi, timing in that area is around 18* +/- 2* depending on RPMs. Idle timing is at 13*, and max is 38-ish at 40kpa/4k-rpms... Lately I've been noticing slightly louder than normal valve clatter, but its been 6 months since I checked them, its on the list for this weekend.

I put an E head on my 142 thinking it was a B20. Didn't realize it was actually a B18 until I measured the valves on the old head. Block was too dirty to read the markings. '69 was supposed to have a B20 and it looked like one to me, Alt boss etc. Turns out it was a High Compression B18. No idea where it came from. Runs well enough, bottom end is tired on that one though.

When I had it open last, I set the head on and flipped it upside down, the bore/cumbustion chamber looked like it was just about the same size, no real notable "mushroom", so I went with it. Its ran great so far, even under boost it has held up pretty well... I do get a little blow by, when its cold you can take the PCV hose off and it looks like a seamboat chimney :lol: I always planned to have the b20 bottom done, just never had all the stuff to get it together. Its been a "tax day" project, every tax refund gets me a bit closer, looks like this year it'll finally be all there.

That's awesome!

My daily drivers have destroyed my finances and time recently. 2 had bad transmissions and a slew of other issues. Then it comes down to projects and it's time to get something running that's been in my garage for far too many years. The 65' 122 drives for now at least. But my 66' mustang hasn't seen the road for 20-30 years (5 of which I've owned it) It's extremely close now, and I just need to finish it. Wish I had time/money/space for all of them.
However since the mustang was my first project car and started this whole car addiction it's time to give it life.

That's awesome!

My daily drivers have destroyed my finances and time recently. 2 had bad transmissions and a slew of other issues. Then it comes down to projects and it's time to get something running that's been in my garage for far too many years. The 65' 122 drives for now at least. But my 66' mustang hasn't seen the road for 20-30 years (5 of which I've owned it) It's extremely close now, and I just need to finish it. Wish I had time/money/space for all of them.
However since the mustang was my first project car and started this whole car addiction it's time to give it life.

mustang... whatcha doin to it?

mustang... whatcha doin to it?

X2 build thread link?

I back burner everything all the time. My 5.0 262 swap is dang close but new floors in the house, leaking roof on my house , my shop and the parents cabin have kept me from getting stuff done(on cars). Told my kid we will pull the B20 out of the Amazon this winter and seal it up, maybe some minor upgrades/repair. Hood is still closed save for a battery charger hook up. Poor thing sits covered with camping supplies.:oops:

Enjoying the thread!

Back