• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Distributor cap wear with Microsquirt?

VB242

I.M. Weasel
So I've been going through parts store caps and rotors fairly frequently, I'm ordering a new Bosch set today but I was wondering if coil settings or something might be accelerating wear. The cap is getting this black deposit were the rotor makes contact. The Advance brand fits and lasts longer than the Autozone, but both are Chinese junk. Anyone else experience something like this or have a solution? I'm using an LH2.2 4 slot distributor to trigger and distribute the spark,.

Have you checked rotor phasing?
The rotor should point at the center of the terminal at 25? BTDC.
This is a mechanical adjustment you need to make before setting the trigger angle.
After setting the distributor so it is at 25? use a timing light to check timing.
Using FIXED timing at 15? adjust trigger angle offset til the timing light shows 15?.
Then change MS back to "Use Table".

Check for other reasons that might drive spark voltage high, bad coil wire, etc.

Brass on the Advance cap, silver metal on the Autozone cap, I ordered 2) Bosch caps and rotors from FCP today. I don't think it's a problem with the rotor phasing, I used 12 degrees instead of 15, it operates properly from 5 to 35 degrees of advance per my ignition table. Here's a vid of my best run today at autocross, it failed on the way home, I scraped the corrosion/deposits off enough to get home then replaced with more Chineses junk and it ran better than below....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TGXmH6EnPZQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back