• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo d24t transplant

Hmm. D24T in anything is a great idea. but if you don't understand them and want it anyway, Get a D24T expert to assist you in your VW diesel education!

TDI's I don't like so much because of the computerization.

I must perfer The sound and feel of the IDI.

Last week on 26East I'm traveling a steady 55mph and this Red 850 I think it was an R model.
me in the D24T powered baby sh!t yellow '79 wagon Take notice, I raise the boost on him a couple times just so he can hear my larger TO4E compressor working(6psi) I hear him floor and try to walk on me, hah Auto heard it kick down into 3rd. I left mine in 5th (M47) so I slowly throw more fuel on the fire boost jumps up to 10 psi then I give it all, 14.7 psi (1bar boost) my diesel is working! I start gaining on him while he's still on it. I am amazed maybe his turbo isn't setup right.... But I thought 850 R's were pretty quick? (/end antidote)

I am in full support of this Bertone D24T idea. Definately man. You said to put it in a 780 Bertone? You'll need the D24T engine and the tranny! GEt a stick model.!!! but the ZF 22 isn't bad.. I kind of like it. You'll also need the Diesel cross member or failing that 16v crossmember because the drivers side lower mount is part of the crossmember. Otherwise you'll have to fab something.
(((EDIT:)))) hah I miss read you. 78 Bertone. BLack it all out and make it a Lone Bertone!!!
I bought this article off Ebay don't know where I put it. but it was the Lone Bertone. and I guess someone in California +Teed a D24 Way back in the early 80's and shoved that into a black on black 262c Bertone! Fricken cool. They even intercooled.

Last edited:
Here is my friends d24T in a 84 245. it only took 8 hours to do the motor swap and driving it end of the day. The car was already a diesel with the NA d24. Its has M46 it was bw35 really crappy in a NA. The motor was rebuilt 17,000 miles ago. runs great had no issues. He running full synthetic diesel rated motor oil.

We used a D24 NA oil pan on the D24T so it will clear the cross member, the D24T one WILL NOT fit in a 240. You can notch the cross member so the D24T oil pan can fit. Just used the same D24 NA motor mounts. If you decied to used the D24 NA pan you must drill and oil return line into the pan for the turbo.

These motors are really fun, Look out for water and oil leaks and fix them promptly:nod:

IMAG0302.jpg

Nice looking rig. Now you need an intercooler. I'm a new member as of today. I'm currently finishing adding an intercooler to my d24t 240 wagon. Can't wait to see/feel/smell the results.

Bumping a silly old thread but has anyone in the US done this in a 700/900?

Being a diesel head I was excited to read this thread and was surprised at the friendly and happy responses but then realized it's 5 years old. Ah, the good old days......

Have you heard of the Cummins crate motor that's supposed to be introduced in a month or so? Called the R2.8 Repower. It's a 2.8L 4cyl. turbo diesel. Supposedly plug n' play, electronic common rail, 50 states legal for qualifying platforms. 275 ft/lbs 160hp. I've tried to get more info than that but they're being pretty tight lipped until they're ready. I like mechanical injection especially over the TDIs gremlin prone electronics but I imagine Cummins would be reliable.

I'd do a mb 603 or 606 diesel
Me to, lol.

I usually agree with v8volvo, but I have to disagree to some degree on his statement that D24 is as hard to kill as a redblock, or harder. It might be true if both engines were maintained AND driven to spec, it probably is true if redblock is 16v block, but if it's 50:50 diesel vs 8v redblocks in 700/900 cars, like here, and they're poorly maintained, a D24 will meet its maker a loot sooner. Leaky injectors, clogged radiators, stuck thermostats, cracked heads, dampers not replaced with timing belt change and not torqued properly, it all kills a D24 pretty quick, while redblock keeps on going and going for as long as there is some kind of fuel and spark present. That said, it doesn't make a D24 a bad engine, just not nuclear-zombie-apocalypse-proof. Which, again, isn't exactly what most people look for in a motor...

As for OM603 vs OM606. OM603 is basically a plug and play swap in a Volvo when you sort the pan. Simple, reliable...no, dead reliable, and it can tow a small planet. But...long thin head, combined with bad casting leads to badly cracked heads, I might argue that they crack easier than D24 ones, and can not be driven that way for some lenghts of time, unlike D24's.

That being said, OM606 is far stronger, has no issues with heads, but comes with a whole lot of electronics which, if unwantend, has to be dealt with with a OM603 mechanical pump, but they can't deliver enough fuel, unless given bigger elements, and that's more work, time and money...

Being a diesel head I was excited to read this thread and was surprised at the friendly and happy responses but then realized it's 5 years old. Ah, the good old days......

Have you heard of the Cummins crate motor that's supposed to be introduced in a month or so? Called the R2.8 Repower. It's a 2.8L 4cyl. turbo diesel. Supposedly plug n' play, electronic common rail, 50 states legal for qualifying platforms. 275 ft/lbs 160hp. I've tried to get more info than that but they're being pretty tight lipped until they're ready. I like mechanical injection especially over the TDIs gremlin prone electronics but I imagine Cummins would be reliable.
Plug and play crate CR diesel sounds like a dream coming true. 2.8 liters I'd prefer in 5 or even 6 pots, not 4, but CR could smooth that out, and packaging should not be a problem with a 4 pot. Can't wait to see that come out.

nordmaschine;557754 Plug and play crate CR diesel sounds like a dream coming true. 2.8 liters I'd prefer in 5 or even 6 pots said:
--------------------------------

I'm putting off my TDI (AHU) swap until I know more about the Cummins. I had just found a complete engine, harness, cluster,, AND Acme adapter, new clutch, and Toyota 5 speed for a great price. I hope I don't wait, then find out that the Cummins is not legal in my 240 or costs $1M.
Cummins claims 503lbs. ready to run compared to approx. 545lbs. for the OM606. Plus the Mercedes 5 cylinder is longer, pushing the weight balance further forward. Either way there's a fairly substantial weight penalty over a red block (350lbs.?). Cummins won't speak mpg numbers but does say they've seen their Jeep/R2.8 test vehicle's mileage occasionally triple compared to the stock engine. Even if the stock CJ-5 got 12 mpg that would be 36 mpg with the diesel! I know, I should not be counting chickens.........

Crate motor would be rad but if I'm buying a Cummins it's going to be a 12v or a 24v with the 12v Peabody pump swapped. I would relocate the firewall to make that work. I have a serious soft spot for those straight 6 motors. But alas I doubt I can afford any of that on my budget so I was looking into the D24+t idea as I have someone relatively local to me with a couple d24 motors he is rebuilding. Keeps sending me videos of them running and I love the sound of old diesels.

The weight of the Cummins compares favorably with the D24T at 503 lbs. vs. 525 lbs.

Good to know. Has anyone ever commented on D24 equipped 240s having a handling handicap compared to a normal red block version? Was I accurate with the weight of the red block at 350lbs.?

Honestly an extra 200 lbs in the front end wouldn't be awful in my case. I think the 700 weighs in around 3200lbs with the redblock. My V70 weighs in around 3450lbs with a NA whiteblock....

I'm putting off my TDI (AHU) swap until I know more about the Cummins. I had just found a complete engine, harness, cluster,, AND Acme adapter, new clutch, and Toyota 5 speed for a great price. I hope I don't wait, then find out that the Cummins is not legal in my 240 or costs $1M.
Cummins claims 503lbs. ready to run compared to approx. 545lbs. for the OM606. Plus the Mercedes 5 cylinder is longer, pushing the weight balance further forward. Either way there's a fairly substantial weight penalty over a red block (350lbs.?). Cummins won't speak mpg numbers but does say they've seen their Jeep/R2.8 test vehicle's mileage occasionally triple compared to the stock engine. Even if the stock CJ-5 got 12 mpg that would be 36 mpg with the diesel! I know, I should not be counting chickens.........

I'm betting that motor will be mucho dinero (industrial diesel engine, betting north of $12k), and the trans adapters are either going to be for a massivetruck transmissions or non-existent.

The VW + toyota trans is a proven combination, and you already have it.

Last edited:
Interesting old thread. I worked at the dealer when they were new,even went to school in LA for them. Best I can remember almost all died early. A few from lack of maintenance. But the biggest killer was water ingestion. Local body shop that did all of our body work had a standing offer for the dead ones. I think the d24t was available in a 780 in Europe.

I'm betting that motor will be mucho dinero (industrial diesel engine, betting north of $12k), and the trans adapters are either going to be for a massivetruck transmissions or non-existent.

The VW + toyota trans is a proven combination, and you already have it.

I think Cummins is aiming these at folks who want to "repower" oldish, smaller vehicles, especially CJ-5s and later (small) Cherokees etc. It may end up being cool. I hope you're not right about $12K.

I think Cummins is aiming these at folks who want to "repower" oldish, smaller vehicles, especially CJ-5s and later (small) Cherokees etc. It may end up being cool. I hope you're not right about $12K.

Any new diesel will likely be tier 4, super high injection presslure, come with catalyst, maybe def and spendy.

Back