• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's orphan 220 amazon wagon

VVT no, hydro lifters yes. I don't know that they made a non-vvt engine with solid lifters? For my purposes the lifters are a-ok, these are whisper quiet too. I really don't know why on that last point. It should be more or less the same as what's in your race car.

VVT no, hydro lifters yes. I don't know that they made a non-vvt engine with solid lifters? For my purposes the lifters are a-ok, these are whisper quiet too. I really don't know why on that last point. It should be more or less the same as what's in your race car.

That motor blew up, the RN motor we put in to replace it has been less than impressive.

Ahhh I forgot about that. Yeah I don't know all the specific details between the two. I chose a 98 n/a engine because it's about as simple as you can get with these things.

Since we're discussing engines, here's an up to date picture of the engine bay from SE. It's "aged" to match the ****tiness of the rest of the car.

ESUOCgq.jpg

Well I've finally gotten over how ungodly loud this thing is inside. The exhaust is 2.5" all the way back from that header I made. I have been running a $30 Summit brand chambered muffler, a 14" resonator off of a random Civic exhaust I had laying around and a turn down. This weekend I sought out to replace that chambered muffler with something a little nicer.

I ended up with one of these:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40665/overview/

It's a Borla Pro XS, straight through, insulated muffler. I was worried about it being too loud still, but it's worlds better over what was in there. I messed up and got the 19" case length instead of the 14", but I was able to get it to fit. It's really close up under there, but it all fits really nicely.

Here's a comparison
UjvZ51Z.jpg

lOeCGhh.jpg

Reallllll close to the rear axle, but that's with it hanging on the limiters, so it doesn't hit. I have to run an under-axle setup since the axle itself is so far up in the car when I'm driving.
GPtld0C.jpg

View from the back, it doesn't drag!
Y154FoI.jpg

That really is a snug fit! I'm all about quiet these days, call me old, but I'm going to go crazy on sound deadening on mine. All I wan't to hear is that sweet sweet sound of intake noise from the four throttles ;-)

That really is a snug fit! I'm all about quiet these days, call me old, but I'm going to go crazy on sound deadening on mine. All I wan't to hear is that sweet sweet sound of intake noise from the four throttles ;-)

I mean idk if it's really "quiet" but it's much better than before. I don't worry about hearing damage on the highway now lol

I need to get a video hosted, I'll try and work on that soon

Small updates here. This thing is driven regularly and is now really reliable. I don't really have any complaints apart from rattles and comfort issues still, though it could stand another windshield seal. I'm not sure what's going on there.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on another parts car this weekend:
LlmN4DP.jpg

qeZk7sM.jpg

The poor thing had a tree fall on it. The owner was super cool, and mainly wanted the parts to help another 122 live on. I can help with that.

So naturally I did the important things first...like fitting an og washer bottle and bracket! I'm way more stoked about this than I should be. The wipers are useless on these things, and I think having a washer would make it even worse. Especially since all of the washer solvent will just leak inside of the car. Anyways:

qkQCGSp.jpg

3HL4tWu.jpg

Me paying way too much attention to **** that doesn't matter yet again:

kHAIgbu.jpg

RiPFE9p.jpg

P9nkLzs.jpg

There's something to be said sometimes about having the "right" stuff. It's more or less mounted where it came from the factory as well.

Not controlling it, just left unplugged... I had been assured by Ben Mcnally that its fine that way. :roll: car doesn't feel fine.

It's not. The intake cam will be fully retarded at all times if accelerating if it's an S motor. The only thing that controls the phaser position is oil pressure...

I recently acquired a used set of Bosch motorcycle H4 7" rounds for this thing, so I thought I'd add that up here. I drove with them for the first time tonight and man, they're so much better than sealed beams. Here's an article about them: https://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html
There is a strict "automotive" version of these lights, but these were readily available, and are a 100% improvement over sealed beams. The ones I have run about $40 each.

Sealed beam on the left, H4 on the right.
KmWvB5d.jpg

They have a really nice cutoff. Note though that the aiming of my headlights is terrible. I'm not even sure if I can adjust them due to rusty hardware, but I need to get on that.
XKZU6zm.jpg

iIcJoqC.jpg

Decent high beam too. This will 100% improve when I actually aim them.
naYK5EG.jpg

Last edited:
Back