home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-29-2019, 04:24 PM   #1451
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Nothing much new to report on this. I still haven't bothered to run that disconnected hose up to the air cleaner yet - but so far, it doesn't really seem to be putting out oily air that I need to worry about much.

Mostly just doing some Autotune and boost. The map is needing lots more fuel at the top-right corner. Makes me think the DW300 might be running a bit short on capacity? I intentionally set the base fuel pressure a little lower to help it out (40 psi), I might lower that a bit more.

Yeah, it's pretty fun in cool/cold (40's) weather. 3rd spins fairly easily even in the dry once the boost hits. 4th gets to where it will hold pretty much all the 7 psi of boost I'm giving it so far.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #1452
JohnMc
PV Abuser

We've had our first snow, the roads are salty still. So the only thing I did was spend a weekend rearranging the garage. It's a 1950's style 2 car garage, so it does fit two cars, but not with a lot of room to spare. So I rearranged stuff, made a spot for the 16V motor, got the PV in position to pull the motor, and stuck the 240 in, probably until spring. It's possible that it might rain well enough to clear the salt, and then be nice enough to drive it some before 'real' winter starts, but mostly, nope.

The only issue it's having now is some small leak from the PS system that I haven't looked at yet. If left parked, it will make a tiny slick of PS fluid. The feed line from the reservoir to the pump is 'sweating' fluid, I don't think it's sweating enough to make the leaks seen below, but it's clearly not the right kind of rubber hose. At all. Yeah, I think I was kind of in a 'git 'r dun' mode at that point. It might be old Volvo idle valve rubber hose. Yeah....

The only other thing I'd messed with recently other than testing and autotuning was to take off the rubber Volvo shifter boot to see if it would help with the issue of it popping out (veeeery gently) from 5th, and occasionally popping out of 4th. Turns out it really was the shifter boot causing that. The CBF Performance shifter is a contributing factor - because the detents that hold it in gear are very light. But with the boot off, it was staying in gear. I just need to replace it with something like a cloth boot that won't have any 'spring' to it.

Oh, and cold starting isn't great. Shocking. A Megasquirted car that is a bit iffy on cold starts. *shocking* Too lazy to mess with that, so it will likely persist.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #1453
Texas240
Prius Owner

I've been fighting power steering leaks fo4 5 years now. something about a volvo crimped power steering line vs having one modified just isn't the same.