• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 TDI project

I checked, they fit :-) Not like I listen to cds much anyway. Oh and I am so far from caring about a tach at this point, im sure i will be able to make it work though.

awesome work!!! I have always wanted a 240 with a kick ass diesel engine in it.

hmmmmm biodiesel, fried chicken,,,,, yummmm

I was never impressed with or liked Diesels (read old 240, old M/B non turbo) but I got a chance to drive a V70 D5 here in NM . It belonged to a German Air Force guy and he had it over here for a few months before shipping back to Germany. It was very quiet and had serious balls. It would catch 2nd gear and just pull hard. Plus it got 40+ mpg vs about 25 in a normal t5. Id buy one. I wouldnt have thought this would be a good swapdue to the small engine but I want to read about it . Good luck

hey man where in north county you doin this escondido or like temecula? I live up here in ramona. I want to see that thing looks good

nice progress with the swap!

maybe a good idea to sue a 700/900 style driveshaft support bearing? the are stronger and should support the driveshaft better (less slop in the rubber bushing)

If I can find a reasonably priced D5 lump, the swap is on. It's a seriously kick-ass engine.

cheers

James

same here!
too bad that in a rwd application the injection pump has to be 'in' the firewall....
figure out the ems.... kinda a pita i guess..
if those things are solved its as 'easy' as dropping in an normal 5-cylinder...

hey man where in north county you doin this escondido or like temecula? I live up here in ramona. I want to see that thing looks good

Its in fallbrook. I wont be working on it tell later in the week (still waiting on parts to show up). PM me and we can work out a day to meet up.

That's curious about the pump. Presumably it could be moved...

It has been suggested that any programmable EMS could run an electronic-injector diesel. I've not looked into it myself.

cheers

James

hmm , the 1.9 tdi then has a different bellhousing pattern to the straight six diesel - otherwise , the m90 diesel cars could donate there gearboxes quite easily .

It has been suggested that any programmable EMS could run an electronic-injector diesel. I've not looked into it myself.

I'd be surprised.

Current generation common-rail diesels fire multiple injections per cycle, of varying duration. You'd need a very fast EMS, capable of controlling injectors to >10x the time resolution of a normal spark-ignition engine's requirements, and capable of calling several injections during the power stroke.

tim

I'd be surprised.

Current generation common-rail diesels fire multiple injections per cycle, of varying duration. You'd need a very fast EMS, capable of controlling injectors to >10x the time resolution of a normal spark-ignition engine's requirements, and capable of calling several injections during the power stroke.

tim

diesel runs up to say 6000rpm
we can easily find processors that run at 100mhz+
that could time it for 16 cylinders and have resolution down to 1/100th of a degree of crank travel

I'm not claiming it can...but I'd be very interested to hear if there are any programmable systems out there for electronically controlled diesels. I'm willing to bet the D5 EMS is so heavily buried into the car loom (maybe even multiplexed, to an extent?), you might as well not bother trying to extract it....although I guess people probably said the same about 240s with LH2.4...

cheers

James

diesel runs up to say 6000rpm
we can easily find processors that run at 100mhz+
that could time it for 16 cylinders and have resolution down to 1/100th of a degree of crank travel

No doubt it's possible - I have a factory ECU that does just that in my Peugeot.

I'm questioning the "any programmable EMS" claim.

100MHz+ processors are plentiful, but are not widely used in aftermarket ECUs. According to http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/indexright.htm the Megasquirt 1 uses an 8MHz processor, MS2 bumps that all the way up to 24MHz.

Then there's the issue of programming. It's one thing to code your own ECU processor from scratch, but most will come with control software already flashed in. The program controls the sequence of events, and the user's maps control the details. For a single cylinder engine it would be a sequence like: record TDC; calculate engine speed based on time from previous TDC events; calculate load state (VE); calculate fuel requirement from map; calculate spark timing from map; inject fuel; fire spark; wait for next TDC. Nowhere in that sequence to call six staged injection events.

Aftermarket EMS for common-rail diesel = doable.
Aftermarket EMS with off-the-shelf programmable ECU = unlikely.

tim

Well im too tired to post a bunch of pics but I have been working hard on the car. Here is a teaser pic...

I will post more later.

tease.jpg

All that is really left is wiring, turbo back exhaust, and cooling plumbing.

when youre done killing the stock IC, try finding one with the inlet and outlet on the same side

More pics!

Well I guess that answers that one, unless anyone has anything to add? Opening in the market, anyone?

cheers

James

I posted a question about EMS for diesel engines (D5) and noone knew anything about it. i guess there isnt much around...
i'd buy a D5 engine* if i had a good method to run it with aftermarkt stuff (or cheaper the original ECU with remapping so the car will start even without the ABS/Tracs/Trans/speedo/rear defroster/heated seats/aircon :-P)

* for a good price.

Seems like the D5 is a good engine, i've heard of 300K miles and higher in Swedish taxi's.

Back