• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tilton Hydraulic Release Bearing and T5 notes

This is the pedal stop in my 240. The bump stop is from Energy, I believe. It mounts up with one of the existing firewall bolts. It has a real nice feel when you hit the stop. Very positive, but not metal to metal.

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

I also have the Energy poly T5 trans mount, seems to be fine. It's not a super hard poly. It's hard to say on the vibration, the engine (ford v8) lopes a bit, and I think the whole car would be vibrating even with a stock rubber mount.

I need to experiment with a smaller bore clutch master on my setup (it's all basically Camaro T56 parts, mounted on a CD009).

The clutch pedal is stiff, which isn't a huge deal, but the engagement point is too short. Certainly drivable, but it would be a bit easier to drive with a bit less pedal pressure and a bit more engagement travel.

I'm using a stock Volvo 260 master cylinder now, .75" bore.

I used a .75” Wilwood master cylinder with my T56 and couldn’t get enough engagement even with the pedal all the way down- changed to a stock 260 master and it engaged about halfway down- don’t know why, but much better.

Nice post, I am running a t5 with the tilton setup with the threaded piston.

Myself I did not have to modify anything. I bolted it up and installed and done. Took all of the measurements needed and installed without any extra machining or cutting. I am running a yoshifab clutch and flywheel with an older t5 adapter plate with the stock steel front bearing cover.

By far the best clutch feel I have ever had with the t5.

Are you running the 235mm Yoshi clutch? I have that clutch and I'm sourcing hydraulic clutch parts now. If you have the 235mm flywheel and pressure plate and it's nice and light, maybe I'll go with the Tilton bearing instead of the 740 slave cylinder like I'd planned.

Are you running the 235mm Yoshi clutch? I have that clutch and I'm sourcing hydraulic clutch parts now. If you have the 235mm flywheel and pressure plate and it's nice and light, maybe I'll go with the Tilton bearing instead of the 740 slave cylinder like I'd planned.

Tate Fanning had the same clutch setup with a Tilton internal slave, and he reports that the feel of the external slave setup I have is roughly the same as the Tilton.

Hope that's easy enough to understand lol

Tate Fanning had the same clutch setup with a Tilton internal slave, and he reports that the feel of the external slave setup I have is roughly the same as the Tilton.

Hope that's easy enough to understand lol

Oh that's good to know. Did you guys both have the same size master cylinder? Tilton recommends a 3/4 master but I wonder if you could get a 5/8 to give you enough travel, and a lighter pedal.

That I do not know. I got the 5/8 master from him so I assume it did not work with the Tilton

I used a 3/4 MC with a tilton, and it's a bit heavy with a ~5:1 ratio and touchy with a ceramic clutch. I think a 0.700 or 5/8 would be the way to go if your pedal ratio is in the 5:1 area

I used a .75? Wilwood master cylinder with my T56 and couldn?t get enough engagement even with the pedal all the way down- changed to a stock 260 master and it engaged about halfway down- don?t know why, but much better.

The reason for this is the .75 inch Wilwood MC (same as Tilton 75 series) has only 1.1 inch stroke. The FAG MC has 1.3 inch stroke. When I switched from a FAG to the Tilton in my car, I moved up to a 13/16 inch bore, which restored the fluid volume to my slave to match the longer stroke FAG MC and I got full use of my pedal again.
Dave B

I wanted to post an update to this info as Tilton has changed their 6000 series bearings a little bit, and it could cause others some confusion as it did for me. The below is what I've found on my setup which is a t5z, an old John Parker adapter, and a Yoshifab 235mm FX400 clutch.

Bottom line up front: the 60-6032 is still a good PN to buy for this application but it is no longer a 52mm bearing as shown in the OP, it now comes with a 54mm radius faced bearing. Tilton made the change so it had a wider variety of applications with OE style clutches.

In 2017 I bought and installed 6000 series PN 60-6104. This came with a flat faced bearing and while it worked, pedal effort was very heavy. Shortly after that I pulled the bearing and installed piston PN 62-612 and bearing PN 62-002, this is the same 52mm bearing shown in the OP. I installed the piston and bearing in my 60-6104 housing, it does result in more piston out of the bore than a "stock setup" as the OP noted. However, I ran it like this for 5 years and never had a problem. It was a huge improvement in pedal effort over the larger flat bearing.

I had the bearing out this year and decided to proactively put a seal in it, which just made it leak, and I was in a rush so I ordered an entire new 60-6032 assembly. I was confused when I got it and it had a different bearing so talked to Tilton to confirm the changes. The housing of this 60-6032 is dimensionally identical to my 60-6104.

Below from left to right: 612 piston and 52mm 002 bearing, current 60-6032 piston and 54mm radius bearing, 60-6104 piston and flat faced bearing.

Phra2PO.jpg

jMo3dI5.jpg

new 60-6032 assembly in situ at adjusted height for install.

mfTF3dh.jpg

75gEVsZ.jpg

Here's the kicker.. when I first went to move the car I thought I had no clutch pedal and needed to re-bleed it. The new assembly and 54mm bearing have significantly reduced pedal effort. It's now almost on par with the stock hydraulic clutch in my SAAB. Great for the firewall.

So... the pictures/bearing in the OP are kind of no longer relevant but the PN is.

That?s great to hear about the updates bearing.
I?ve always liked the older 52mm bearing since it results in a lighter clutch pedal, but it doesn?t fit over a the t5 retainer without modification. The new bearing looks like a great compromise!

What's the advantage of running an internal slave like this tilton as opposed to an external slave with a fork? Less friction and more direct feel because you're not going through an extra lever? Can you still get good feel with an external slave and a fork?

Two lines - one for the fluid, and the other bleeds the unit.

I broke a bunch of forks in the past, that is why I'm going internal.

Back