• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 1990 740 16 valve ?

122mike

Thinking about buying a 1990 740 with 16 valve twin cam engine and 150,000 well serviced miles. I'm very friendly with the B230 in my 240 but have not been able to find much on the 16 valve cars in regards to reliability, serviceability, etc.
Can anyone enlighten me ?

thx,
Mike

My dad has one almost half a million KM (90 16V 4 spd + OD sedan) he likes to show off its quickness a little too often so now believe needs a head gasket.

I would not let that dissuade me. I love the car. They rev really well and with the manual I don't remember it ever feeling laggy it was very fun to drive. The one on bring a trailer looks fantastic too that leather interior is super nice. I just assumed it was going to go for a lot of moneys.

Be sure to always keep up with timing belt changes my brother learned the hard way with his 90 16V auto. Overall the engines need a bit more detailed attention than a T/NA 8V, but it is well worth it when it goes.

There are some known issues but the updates are out there. For example the oil pump drive pulley and bolt should be updated if it isn't already. Keep up with timing belt and tensioner changes. After that it is a Volvo.

I've an 1989 B234 in the driveway with well over 300K miles. Compression test is the same as my 1990 motor.

Yup. Belts are important. Plan on resealing the chemical sealed joints. Great motor. Jut gotta look after it.

Oil pump pulley and a class 10.9 screw for it are good things to do.

Gotta link to the BaT?

-Ryan

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-volvo-740/

1518106812e7dff9f98764daIMG_0274-620x465.jpg
80095d565ef66e7dIMG_0285-620x465.jpg[/IMG]

That car was listed here in the Bay area on CL not too long ago. Thats a Rare combo 16v with the manual trans, and a wagon!

There are some known issues but the updates are out there. For example the oil pump drive pulley and bolt should be updated if it isn't already. Keep up with timing belt and tensioner changes. After that it is a Volvo.

Early ones had mech t-belt tensioner later had the hydraulic. I made a tool to hold the oil pump pulley. Its on brickboard, lol. Engine is nice pulls super nice in OD over hills and grades. Be nice if I had the 91 GLE I sold. Its rotting in Lima, Ohio now last I checked.

The 1989 timing belt set-up and tensioners is almost comical. I was laughing at the 1989 16-valve. Lots of spacers and long screws to keep the covers on. The 1990-on motors are much better thought out. You just need a pin-spanner to hold the oil pump pulley. The tool IPD sells for strut gland nuts works perfect for oil pump pulleys.... terrible for gland nuts.

-Ryan

Back