• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boost control benchrace/desktop engineering

MrBill

fige=500Dollar Mistake
300+ Club
I've got the $58 DIYAutoTune EBC solenoid. It uses 1/8 NPT fittings, and has three ports.

I have two external Tial wastegates, 38mm mv-s.

The basic diagram I'm going off of is this one posted in DIYAutoTune's Q&A section for the EBC Solenoid.
Vacuum-diagram-for-EBC-solenoid.png

So that image is for a single external. The easy mode would be to use a second solenoid. But is that necessary?
Tial recommends and includes 1/4 inch fittings for use on the wastegates.
The Solenoid can have whatever fittings I screw in, but the holes are not very big. Maybe 1/3 the diameter of the 1/8 NPT inlet. I have 1/8 NPT to 1/4 barbs, but what good are they if the solenoid can't flow what it needs to?

So my desktop engineering question; I'll be splitting a bunch of these hoses off to feed both gates. Does anyone think I'll see a boost control issue doing this? Should I buy a second solenoid and just control them both with the same megasquirt output?

Proposed routing below:
Updated Vacuum-diagram-for-EBC-solenoid.png

Last edited:
Those diagrams show what is possibly a turbo mounted waste gate actuator and a remote waste gate.

Do those devices drive the same direction? (extend to open waste gate)(spring loaded closed)
This will affect hose connections?
Are the springs different in a single vs a dual port chamber?

Also pulling boost from the manifold feed will have no boost with the throttle closed.
Why do some turbos have the boost port for the waste gate right on the turbo housing outlet? Is this advantageous?

Side note: A parts turbo I have, has no spring in the actuator.

Last edited:
Back