• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's 73 Toyota Hilux (Volvo powered)

cosbySweater

300+ Member
300+ Club
Wow 3 build threads at the same time.... Anyways, as a few of you have known I had been daily driving a 73 Toyota Hilux for over a year when my 244 was being worked on, truck had always been reliable except for a few mishaps with the distributor and engine cover deciding to explode :oops:. It had plenty of go due to the fact it had a jdm 18rg with a w58 behind it, but it had no low end grunt at all you would have to spin the motor out to get any kind of real power out of It and due to it basically having itbs it made for very loud and annoying road trips. Here's some pics of the original setup.

Well I got tired of the engine, I mean it's a very very cool motor but hell you have two people in the truck and you can really feel it lol. So me being ADHD and not being able to leave anything alone, this happened.

And it's replacement was this

So now the Hilux has a 92 b230ft with a nice m47 behind it, the oil pan required a bit of fabrication to make it clear the steering links and also us being swedes this is all done on a super tight budget, meaning we are basically only using what we have, on that note don't judge the ls1 motor mounts haha

So as of right now those are the only pics I have, the drive line is done basically all that needs to be finished is engine assembly and wiring which is the easy part, I'll try and get some more updates later tonight as I am just on a lunch break right now! Enjoy!!!

WOW COOL!!!

I love mini trucks!

I've been waiting to see pics of this one...We gotta get together and have a mini truck showdown!

What's the plan for fuel pump?

Gotta love those old Carb'd cars...easy, straight forward wiring, just waiting for a 240 engine harness...

LH2.2/EZK117?

I'd buy him a coffee table rather than have him waste an 18RG. Always thought one would be fun in a Datsun.

Nothing sexier than laying your girlfriend out on a glass panel, over a JDM 18RG

:oogle:

I really do love this truck though!

I wanted a Redblock in my '75 Chevy LUV, but space, experience & money got in the way...I had the B230F on the bench and a M46, waiting for it.

Then I saw a couple guys swap bellhousings on Aisin Toyota trannys, in the name of Redblock Swappage...

Redblock powered pickup truck, MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm!!!!

I just found my religion in Ford Lima pickups though.

Long live my '85 Ranger!

Don't you dare!
I have a 74 LUV I've been thinking of dropping a B21FT in...

Awesome project! It will really scoot! They don't really weigh much.

Cool Hilux, I bet it'll be fun with the redblock. Curious to hear how it turns out.

My dad had a '75 longbed that I wish I had persuaded him to keep, since it would be smog exempt now and it was that great avocado green color that Toyota perfected in the '70s. Yellow looks good on these trucks though.

My friend has the 18rg he's gonna throw it in a old jeep mail truck, I'm down for a Bay Area mini truck meet! the truck is gonna use a 240 fuel tank and a 6an fuel system, the at will be on lh2.2 and ezk. It's gonna be a fun truck when it's done, going to try to get it in around 200whp. With me in it before it weighed 2600 on the truck scales, so it should scoot pretty fricken good at 200whp

I totally approve of this and i bet it would be a blast to drive. Hell even 200 hp in that thing would be a rocket.

Oil pan looks good too.

Nice work

Sean

Very cool project man, wow. I actually had a thought to do something similar with a newer truck, 2WD with B230FT, but got a 242 instead...

thanks for the compliments guys! its a very fun project so far and i cant wait to drive it, got a ebay IC modded and mounted under the bumper and of course its going to have to run the most obnoxious blow off valve i can find, probably a rfl or something, ill get some more pics in the morning

Such a sweet project, I want one now!

Trade you for a lsx Volvo :).

Here's some pictars :)

5E9B63CF-3FCD-4F7B-82CC-7560D07EE3B4-2629-0000026BCA61CC6D_zps362929eb.jpg

E85DE435-8316-4CFC-A728-1A38235E6008-2629-0000026BD3635E6A_zps880646ff.jpg

F2904955-9B61-4EAE-949F-7B653ED850F6-2629-0000026C14C30E37_zpse825e10c.jpg

640C1800-38E7-4DF4-A3D3-DF8AC1A8F076-2629-0000026C1D75F631_zps24f64a50.jpg

Some assorted pics of other stuff :)

Back