• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil spray from oil cap.

jitruax

wait...its quick?!?
Seem to be getting some spray from the oil cap. Wondering how i can remedy/prevent this, it has a habit of getting the things around it a bit oily(imagine that). Any help is appreciated.

Just think of it as a free oil spray inside your engine bay...

*Cough* buy a new oil cap seal from fcp or dealer*cough*

This is hardly performance...

A new gasket is not what you need, you need to clean the PCV-system.

This is hardly performance...

A new gasket is not what you need, you need to clean the PCV-system.

A new gasket IS what you need, but you also need to clean the crankcase ventilation system, as this is what's causing the pressure inside the engine. The redblock does not have PCV.

The cap gaskets wear/fail, it's the most obvious and cheapest fix if yours is leaking, if a new one still leaks, then look at your breather system.

A new gasket IS what you need, but you also need to clean the crankcase ventilation system, as this is what's causing the pressure inside the engine. The redblock does not have PCV.

The cap gaskets wear/fail, it's the most obvious and cheapest fix if yours is leaking, if a new one still leaks, then look at your breather system.

Please don't wrap a rag around it.
Clean the crankcase vent and get a new seal ring for the cap. That's all mine needed.

I usually just flip mine, works like a charm unless it's cracked. The gasket gets deformed over time and no longer seals properly, if you just flip it it will seal like a champ again. For some time.

And yeah, I know that the redblocks don't have PCV, I have been advocating the correct knowledge for quite some time, yet still most people seem to use the PCV term any any crankcase ventilation.

Anyway, rag=fire.

FWIW the NEW motor, with a NEW seal and a NEW breather box and tube has some seepage from the cap as well. VERY little blowby at all, but it still seeps from the cap, dribbles down the VC, and onto the exhaust. What a pain!

fwiw the new motor, with a new seal and a new breather box and tube has some seepage from the cap as well. Very little blowby at all, but it still seeps from the cap, dribbles down the vc, and onto the exhaust. What a pain!

+1

(pants/poor/pathetic crankcase ventilation)

Get a new oring for the dipstick. That will start popping out after you fix your vent in the oil cap.

To maybe put this as being rightfully in performance I was wondering: Just a thought but i have wondered if our redblocks would benefit from having something like a smog pump to put a slight vacuum into the crank case? Would the additional seal gained by the rings and hopefully the additional hp gained be enough to offset the 3-5 hp loss in running the pump? Just curious

Thanks
Renny

If you want to see why it seeps, just run it with no oil cap and watch the fan of oil come out that hole. It will spray 2 litres of oil in the time it takes to start it, walk to the front, open the hood, see the problem and turn it off. It cost mr lube 200 bucks in car detailing, and a first time customer. the one and only time i have ever let someone else change my oil in ANY vehicle.

If you want to see why it seeps, just run it with no oil cap and watch the fan of oil come out that hole. It will spray 2 litres of oil in the time it takes to start it, walk to the front, open the hood, see the problem and turn it off. It cost mr lube 200 bucks in car detailing, and a first time customer. the one and only time i have ever let someone else change my oil in ANY vehicle.

Also when the cap is off, insert a stethescope around your cam, and listen for a ping, just don't let your head get pulled in.

If it sprays 2litres of oil on your face, it means you need a new oil cap gasket. If it sprays three litres of oil on your face while puffing smoke it means you need a new pvc system (pretty sure redblocks don't have 'em).

Gasket

Mike

I have the same problem on my B230E engine, tried cleaning out the breather system, changed the cap seal and even tried a new cap. that stopped it coming out with any force but it still seaps a little, in my mind the problem is that there's a cam lobe throwing oil straight up there. Whilst my engine's in bits i'm going to weld a little windage plate into the top of the rocker cover to hopefully solve the problem.

I have the same problem on my B230E engine, tried cleaning out the breather system, changed the cap seal and even tried a new cap. that stopped it coming out with any force but it still seaps a little, in my mind the problem is that there's a cam lobe throwing oil straight up there. Whilst my engine's in bits i'm going to weld a little windage plate into the top of the rocker cover to hopefully solve the problem.

I'd say you may have some blow by. I've had a few redblocks that didn't leak at all- and I'm not exactly user friendly to engines.

you're probably right...or at least were right, the engine's in bits on the bench now, just trying to decide how much of the machining i can do myself before i rebuild with turbo, megasquirt and my own inlet fanimold :) oh and a windage plate under the filler cap - i really dont like the design of having a cam throwing oil straight up at the cap.

Back