• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Wheel sizes.

Slammed 66

Hi guys.

New volvo 240 wagon owner here.

I've got an image of how I want my car to look in my head but finding the right wheels in 5x108 is a nightmare. I've found some but they're 18" and I was really only wanting 17" at most. We intend to lower the car (for handling not stance) so should I hold out until 17s turn up?

I'm really wanting to get this look

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/i...94mg&.crumb=BqFM4asdgP.&fr=iphone&fr2=piv-web

Does that look like 17s or 18s to you?

Thanks

Ross

It will never look good on a 240 the maximum size is 17's depending on the wheel. 16's are the best.

11247102_503476596493269_164348999_n.jpg

Tucking 18"s. 285/30 on 10.5". This one wasn't bolted on, and it won't fit w/o some cutting (my car was quite cut up at this point), but a 9" wheel with 225-245 isn't too difficult to fit.

127020490.jpg

What wheel size looks best is just personal preference. I like 17" and 18".

If you want handling you will have better tire choices in 17" and 18".
15" and 16" performance tires that fit 240's are really hard to find and the widest is like 225 I think.
You can fit 245's fairly easily.

For that wheel you posted you have a few similar options. Style 5 and style 42 BBS/BMW wheels can be had in 17x8 and will bolt on with adapters. Lot's of the BBS replicas can be made to work with adapters also.

If you have a big budget just order some CCW's or something like that that are custom made to your specs.

That's the problem, we're limited to a low budget and we're in Britain where not that many cars use a 5x108 pcd. Just jaguar, volvo and some late fords

Spend your cash on the suspension and worry about making it look pretty later when you have more cash.
Just use any cheap OEM wheel for now. Odds are you won't be able to afford decent tyres on the larger sizes anyway.
Tyre profile should also be considered as part of your suspension package. Go to big and you end up with a whole lot of other issues and it cascades from there. $$$$

I'm running decent 16's with a reasonably high profile to give my car some degree of ride comfort. No one told me or the car it would not handle like this. I'm also bending and breaking stuff I don't see many others doing. Bent trailing arms, having to double nut anything I can and similar. The biggest issue I have is the front end and that's an expensive online shop from Sweden to fix.

Check the showroom wheel thread. From what I see this is more about looks than handling.

TD are a joke. I ordered a set, waited and they eventually came back saying they had no RWD castings and "did I want to wait" with no ETA on that wait.
Went BRAID. Much better wheels.

EDIT
and anyway, this is a dream thread. He's going to have to go S/H OEM or similar and he's really just better off running something cheap with good tyres and spending the rest on doing something which counts.

Back