• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

my diff done went boom

Pretty sure late model 240s (maybe 93 only) have the same length as the 940. IIRC JohnMc installed a g80 axle from a 940 into his 240 without shortening anything.

:wtf:

You really ought not post about stuff that you're not certain about. Spreading misinformation doesn't help anyone. You don't need to post in every thread.

That being said, the late 240 axles shafts are shorter which allows one to use a G80 without modifications. It has nothing to do with 940 axles or their length. John did not put a 940 axle shaft into his 240 axle because that does not work.

Last edited:

You really ought not post about stuff that you're not certain about. Spreading misinformation doesn't help anyone. You don't need to post in every thread.

That being said, the late 240 axles shafts are shorter which allows one to use a G80 without modifications. It has nothing to do with 940 axles or their length. John did not put a 940 axle shaft into his 240 axle because that does not work.

Ohh, so the G80 diff can be popped in from a 900, but the rest of the system still uses 200 parts?
I think that clears things up. I've not had to mess with my diff besides changing the oil yet, so I'm still learning.

On an entirely different topic, my family widened its driveway to acommodate more cars.
32yaxy0.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry dad. I'm almost positive I remember him saying he installed a 940 g80 without doing something. Maybe he just took the whole insides of the diff out and didn't touch the axle halves. Idk.

Sorry dad. I'm almost positive I remember him saying he installed a 940 g80 without doing something. Maybe he just took the whole insides of the diff out and didn't touch the axle halves. Idk.

I'm not your dad. If I were, you would still be on restriction.

You probably remember him saying something, but get your facts straight before you post please. Misinformation doesn't help anyone.

I don't get the "I only paid x for it so I don't want to spend y!"

You've only got 200 bucks invested, if you dump another $300 into it you've got a $500 car, that's peanuts.

I don't get the "I only paid x for it so I don't want to spend y!"

You've only got 200 bucks invested, if you dump another $300 into it you've got a $500 car, that's peanuts.

Hell, that's still $200 less than I paid for my car. Not even counting fixing leaks, trying to stop rust, replacing synchros in the M47 (a futile effort, I'm sure), buying a stereo (mine had none), getting a OEM tachometer (so it matches) to try to relieve stress on the tranny, fixing the AC, and whatever dies on me next week.

That is what he said. And it has nothing to do with what you said. 940 and 240 axles are not the same length. The point is, don't repeat what you've heard unless you understand what is being said and you verify that it's true.

I'm a 200/700/900 guy and it's not something I've ever had. I just assume when I buy an old car that I'll spend at least what I paid for the car catching up on maintenance.

I'm not your dad. If I were, you would still be on restriction.

You probably remember him saying something, but get your facts straight before you post please. Misinformation doesn't help anyone.
I was probably drunk. What I meant was that he was able to install the g80 into the stock pumpkin without shortening his axles. I believe that's what he said. Obviously the 940 axle has much different suspension mounting points than a 240.
There we go.

Yes this is what I remember hearing.

Last edited:
I still made $500 cash + set of virgos in trade parting out a rusty 86, not including scrap value (I lost the title but still got it towed free) and spares for my 87. I had like $250 in that car.

Put in the thickest gear oil I could find and it's leaking really fast from the driveshaft seal thing at the front. I know it had a very slow leak from the cover, but this is new.

Put in the thickest gear oil I could find and it's leaking really fast from the driveshaft seal thing at the front. I know it had a very slow leak from the cover, but this is new.

How much metal was in the oil you took out?

It's probably an abrasive soup in there by now.

Hell, that's still $200 less than I paid for my car. Not even counting fixing leaks, trying to stop rust, replacing synchros in the M47 (a futile effort, I'm sure), buying a stereo (mine had none), getting a OEM tachometer (so it matches) to try to relieve stress on the tranny, fixing the AC, and whatever dies on me next week.

Now you are getting it, Welcome to the club! Enjoy your stay :)

Back