• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C Gas Tank Reinforcement

Rusty_ratchet

1997 Volvo S90

I had to cut off the head of a bolt at the driveshaft/differential. I got out the bolt, but had some collateral damage when I gouged the gas tank with my angle grinder (see photo below). It can be seen that I didn't puncture the gas tank, but would feel better reinforcing/patching it. I found three ways to do this, and would appreciate thoughts on their effectiveness or alternatives to the methods below.

1. Fiberglass patch kit
2. JB Weld
3. Poly tubing / heat gun, although some report that this is not always successful.

IMG4044.jpg

JB weld. Clean the surfaces with abrasives and then compatible solvents and then just put a nice bead of JB weld over the crack and be sure to extend at least 3/16" beyond the damage in all directions.

Another tip:

If the damage is ona vertical or downward facing surface, let the epoxy pot for a few minutes before applying, otherwise it will drop and distort.

Thanks for the replies. I'll forward the thread to my dad and see what he want's to do with the tank.

Kjets: That's too bad about the guy cutting through the fuel line. I hope never encounter anything like that :nod:

Thanks for the replies. I'll forward the thread to my dad and see what he want's to do with the tank.

Kjets: That's too bad about the guy cutting through the fuel line. I hope never encounter anything like that :nod:

Dab of undercoating on the scratch.

It was just a grandpa series. No loss.

Gasoline fires grow fast when fed compressed air! Better to piss on the fire.

The tank is HDPE so fiberglass or JB weld is not going to stick to it.

If it was deep enough to worry me I would run a weld down the cut.

You can make GRP stick by heating the plastic and pressing in a cloth roll so the cloth sticks to the plastic and the GRP will then stick to teh cloth

The tank is HDPE so fiberglass or JB weld is not going to stick to it.

If it was deep enough to worry me I would run a weld down the cut.

You can make GRP stick by heating the plastic and pressing in a cloth roll so the cloth sticks to the plastic and the GRP will then stick to teh cloth

How deep and you would/wouldn't worry? I think the cut is about 1/16" (1.6mm) deep.

Thinnest parts of the tank are around 4mm going up to just over 6mm going off ones I have cut through.

At that depth I'd not be loosing any sleep over it.

If you want it welding any bodyshop that does bumper repairs could weld it - unless you know someone who does chemical plant plastics as they would have the gear and be used to doing quality welds

Thinnest parts of the tank are around 4mm going up to just over 6mm going off ones I have cut through.

At that depth I'd not be loosing any sleep over it.

If you want it welding any bodyshop that does bumper repairs could weld it - unless you know someone who does chemical plant plastics as they would have the gear and be used to doing quality welds

This is helpful. Thanks!

Back