• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1984 760 Turbo dirt bandit

pat244ti

Quick introduction - I recently picked this up from F1rebird on here back early last month.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=84732

He purchased a 4th gen Firebird [fitting, huh?] and since than, the Volvo had sat the past two years at his parents house. He posted on the TB group on Facebook about it possibly being for sale, and having felt the need for another car that ran in my life I felt hey why not. I am taking my dually off the road for a solid amount of time while I fix bodywork, the trans and suspension. I have also had an urge to build a car to run at rallycrosses as well as be DD-able. I don't really drive much is the thing, I work a few blocks from my house and I walk and bike most of the time there and other places. So if my DD is gutted and loud I don't care.

He rebuilt the B23FT a few years back, converted it to an M46 with a flat 240T flywheel and clutch and did other mods as well - ebay IC, ipd cam, adjustable gear, mbc, forge cbv. Also had ipd sways, bilsteins and a few other minor suspension mods.

I was pleased with the car on the test drive, other than something feeling up with the clutch [it does have a "stage II blah blah" pressure plate and a 4 puck clutch but there was also something else making it hard - more on that] it seemed fine and I was pleased with the price we settled on for not having it smogged either [failed visual].

After the test drive, purchase, and a drive to Pleasanton [~30 miles] I realized the expansion tank was breaking up. Picked up a tube of epoxy sealer, went to an old dive in town I knew of from when I lived there, fixed it in the parking lot, had a few beers and burgers, sobered up a few hours fiddling with the car and made it home fine.

When I got home, I jacked it up and found the transmission mount was about to collapse. I had a few b30 engine mounts for my 1800es so I decided to fit that in place of the stock mount as it is a way more solid design. This greatly improved the shifting on the car. Ordered a new expansion tank too. I spent the next day getting it ready to pass the visual for smog and made it through just fine.

I took the car to the flea market the next weekend, and found some sweet mudflaps for $20 to replace the cracked and broken ones that were on the car

Over the next couple of weeks I swapped in LH 2.2 [518 ecu and a 007 maf easy to repin for LH 2.1 on the 84's], tossed in some 850T injectors & deleted the resistor pack and bypassed the boost cut. It ran a solid 16 psi just fine.

I was so happy with it I took it bombing up HWY 152 [a nice mountain road with tons of elevation changes and a few hairpins] late at night to go get In N Out Burger. As it turns out, the highway was closed going down the mountain down to 1 lane. It was controlled with a traffic signal. We started to both smell something in the car and realized something was up. I threw on the flashers, and right when I got out of the car it started dumping smoke out of the exhaust. Definitely seemed like a turbo. Somehow I babied it to Gilroy and back without continually blowing a bunch of smoke [only in boost or on an incline at a stop].

Got home and tore everything down. I ended up removing the turbo as well as the head after having suspicions of the head being cracked a tiny bit. The exhaust side had a bunch of oil. The intake side had a lot too. I had another nice 398 head to put on it, I nearly installed a 398 from a 240 Turbo and was going to run a B21F intake with the fuel rail mounted to the valve cover to go into the KJet ports, but the manifold sits WAY too high on a 740 as opposed to a 240. Nothing a hammer could not solve, but I want the car to be stiff and having a B21F manifold on a 740 eliminates the chances of running a decent strut brace. I went with the normal 398 and kept the one with the CIS injectors for the 240 racecar.

While I was at it tearing that stuff off, I completely removed the intercooler and radiator assembly. I kind found the whole setup too ghetto for my liking - the intercooler was shoved in there sandwiched between radiator and condenser] and since I was removing it as well as the rest of the AC it made sense remounting the intercooler up front by trimming out a small-ish not enough to matter portion of sheetmetal and building a few brackets. The piping was solved by using some couplers and pipes I had mostly laying around that seemed to line up WAY cleaner than before, especially for the CBV. I do plan to relocate the oil cooler, as it sits right now its slight less than an inch from the cold side 90 degree coupler.

I remounted the power steering using a bracket from a 240 after getting rid of the compressor. I replaced all of the accessory bushings with solid mounts from Yoshifab.

I was unable to track down a stock good replacement T3 so I settled on an ebay t3/t4. Second hand, never used, $80. Done. Reclocked it and whatnot to make it work on the 90+ [which is also ported] and used an adapter from ATP to go from a stepped lip to flat flange. I had a few exhaust studs laying around which were the perfect length to hold it all together. I had enough fittings left over to plumb it, aside from getting the Yoshifab 10 AN return line adapter. The 3'' intake was larger than what was on there before, I asked my friend if he might have something and he dug up this ****ty intake he had on a Mitsubishi DE Coupe that was riced out 14 years ago when he was a junior in hs working at a pizza place. It was 3'' and the perfect radius. Cool that it lives on [that ****ty ass DE Coupe was crushed in 2004]

For now I am using the stock wastegate and I plan on running the turbo till I can save enough money in tips at work [maybe 3-4 weeks?] to get it rebuilt with Garrett internals and at that time I will upgrade to a ATP ultimate wastegate and a 3'' downpipe/exhaust.

For the PCV on the car, it seems to have had issues in the past so I put another breather box I had on it laying around and I might invest in Josh's kit in the future. But I plumbed in a B21 vented valve cover and a catch can [again, mostly with stuff just laying around] and I hope it works nice.

I wired in an E-Fan from a 940 that came with the car. It took a little bit of trimming to mount up on the early 740 radiator but it was easy to wire the relay to a switch from a SAAB. It seems to be working good.

I am thinking for simplicity and durability of rewiring the car soon. It is going to be used for rallycross and it only needs a few basic circuits. Right now the chassis wiring on this car is absolutely god awful. I hate it so much and it almost scares me [I have nightmares about that 740 sedan on fire in a greenbook]. So I am going to put a 240 late LH 2.2 harness in it as well as some kill switches and panels as well that are just collecting dust from my dirt track days. Also going to order up some nice fuse panels too.

As of right now the car is sitting because I kind of ****ed up - I was going to originally run the oil feed off the front of the block but the fitting is seized in place. So I went with the stock location but like a dumbass I had a 90 degree fitting that seemed to thread in fine. Of course that fitting is the exact same thread I was using on the front of the block [1/4 npt] but it was in a metric hole. Thread in fine but with the tapered thread it just shoots oil out even with RTV, which I used as a last minute ditch to make WM 6. Which failed. So I have ordered the correct 14mm banjo to AN 4 fitting. Lesson learned, I usually just go off the front of the block though, never had the plug get stuck so bad.

Here's some pics of how it currently sits. It's back on 2.1 because I used the 2.2 MAF on my friends 242 I put together.

^ +49.31 wheel horse power

Goals are to get the car running solid and figure out a good cheap rallycross suspension without breaking the bank. If I like it enough I'll build it to take on stages.

Last edited:
IMG_0390_zpsmj65d0bc.jpg

Tur-blown.

16T and 3'' exhaust going on this weekend. Also will be converting it soon to breakerless ignition. I decided to make the powertrain in this car identical to my Lemons 244 so I can have a running, driving parts car at the race.

Picked up a 15G from White855T last week, only had a day this weekend to spend working on the car with another 55 hour week at the job.

Took it apart, ground down the centering pins and got it all clocked at ready. Figured out a strong, easy solution for the wastegate bracket [power steering pump slider bracket, swung over the ID tag on the compressor housing] that does not bend/flex under load.

Finished the downpipe but it's at my friends house down the road, going to bolt it up and drive it down to his place this weekend to finish the full 3'' exhaust setup [we would finish it in my driveway but his welder keeps blowing breakers]

Last edited:
Update - car runs fantastically at 13 psi.

M46 pops out of 2nd occasionally :/

Clock is broken. "I aint got time for that"

My bad. Put a dent in the fender when I was swapping in Yoshifab motor mounts the quick and easy way [rachet strap around the wheel hooked to the engine to support it when changing the opposite side mount - done this many times on 240s and never had a 240 fender cave the **** in]

Got a set of studded Firestone Winterforce tires, 205/65/15 takeoffs from a Ford Transit with 2k. Paid $50 for all 4. They are going on my Enkeis, these are apparently the best thing to use in rallycross short of a dedicated rally tire.

Will be doing more prep work to the car for the prarie city rallycross in December

Kinda fun having a true beater!

"other than something feeling up with the clutch [it does have a "stage II blah blah" pressure plate and a 4 puck clutch but there was also something else making it hard - more on that"

Did I miss the fix there, my 1987 has a clutch pedal that makes an F-350 look soft (picturing 1993 IDIt Crew... yeah, that truck had a softer pedal)

Did I miss the fix there, my 1987 has a clutch pedal that makes an F-350 look soft (picturing 1993 IDIt Crew... yeah, that truck had a softer pedal)

The fix involved fixing the trans and engine mounts which improved it a ton, I also feel like since the pressure plate was pretty fresh it was super stiff. Over time it has gradually gotten a lot better as its worn in.

So I broke my rallycross cherry last month with the car

Coming from dirt track racing and having previous experience in the dirt, I felt like I was going slow because I absolutely could not for the life of me get the damn car to turn, at least in my opinion. My only prep for the event was changing out the cut springs for stock ones, I left the iPD sways on the front and back. Diff was still open.

I never checked times the day of the event because I didnt really care about the times, just glad the car was able to make it there, get beaten on and drive home. Checked times a few days later and I was faster on a soupy sloppy mess of a track with an underprepped car than most of the AWD cars were doing with a drier, tackier track [what I am more comfortable driving on].

I am planning a some prep for the next event which is in March. Taking the ipd bars off, putting just a stock from bar on and welding the diff are the main changes. I'm hoping removing the rear sway and putting on a small front sway will help it actually rotate a bit on entry instead of being stupid flat. Also the welded diff should help it not plow though some of the tighter turns.

Also, I will be installing a cheapo Grant wheel with a quick release [I hate the stock steering wheel size/position], ebay sourced hydraulic handbrake and also will do some general sanitation to the interior of the car as well as making a removable harness bar. I also plan on putting a cheap seat in it [probably a Bimarco or Corbeau]

Going to try and run for points in the CRS Rallycross series which has events all over California. Trying to keep costs low because I want to save money and step up to stage rally in 2017. Not in a 7** though

Last edited:
It was epic I just wish I would have been able to find the time to weld the diff and the concern to change out the bars beforehand - it would have really ripped!

I don't know why but torturing myself waking up at 4am, driving 150 miles with the thing loaded down with tools/a set of tires and spares in a giant downpour with 40-50 mph winds [no heater/defrost either so windows down], beating the heck out of the car [and the odds the organizers placed on me getting stuck in the mud...] and making it back home to tell about it was more fun to me than almost any standard Friday night I spent towing my Camaro with my truck with a working heater 10 miles to do this

When it rained they would cancel the dirt track races because the sprint car guys and their precious 18 wheelers would get stuck in the pits.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cwqhdRs4jyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2nd gear is toast, subframe in the back is slightly tweaked, shocks and ball joints blown and now I believe it has developed a blown headgasket.

B23FT is coming out and going on a stand for the new yet to be finalized rallycross car. Not a 240 or a 7/9......

The rest [at least the stuff not of any value] is going off to the crusher

Back