• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

86 240 trim help

Hello fellow brick lovers. As the title states I have an 86 240. The car is great but I am missing pieces of trim. I know that IPD sells adhesive door trim for the 240s.

2 questions. 1 has anyone used this and what was your experience and 2 can it be used to replace the bumper trim? Also are there other solutions out there that I can try? Not really looking for OEM trim because of price mainly. And just wanted to try something new.

Thank you all for the help.

Post in wanted or Pm somebody parting out a car.

The IPD side trim is black 3M 3/8" wheel arch beading.

No it won't work for bumper filler trim.

Oh damn. Well that sucks. Yeah I will try that I guess. is the wagon trim the same as the sedan?

There is nothing else anyone has tried out there?

Last edited:
Wagon and sedan are the same in the front, but different in the back.

Fwiw

That said, buying all new clips is probably going to be more expensive than the used trim.

Bug pack VW fender welt might work if you could figure out how to attach it.

The trim pieces above the bumper are held with PIA clips and sometimes can be tricky to get them to hold properly. They can be found at any auto body supply house or IPD and Volvo, etc. For the moulding just post in wanted. Expect to pay over $40 plus shipping. Or visit your local PNP yard and hope to find a 2
s-l500.jpg
40 Volvo.

The original above-bumper trim was very allergic to UV.
20-ish years ago Dave Barton sent me a set which was perfect when he got it from the pick-a-part, and by the time I tried to fit it, it pretty-much just crumbled. And that was with 20-ish fewer years of UV'ing than the same thing would have now.
The 1" black waistline trim is as bad.

That's unfortunate about the 245 rear bumper molding.

and thank you for all the info. I may have found someone local still waiting to hear back if not ill post it on classified.

how much are should i be looking to pay for used trim pieces?

The original above-bumper trim was very allergic to UV.
20-ish years ago Dave Barton sent me a set which was perfect when he got it from the pick-a-part, and by the time I tried to fit it, it pretty-much just crumbled. And that was with 20-ish fewer years of UV'ing than the same thing would have now.
The 1" black waistline trim is as bad.

Well that does not sound good. what did you end up doing?

Well that does not sound good. what did you end up doing?
It was always going to be an expensive build, so I bought new ones from Volvo. It was even possible to order the black waistline trim, even though those cars (1981+ 242's) were never sold here.
Such parts may not be available from them any more - you might just need to be getting this stuff from places where there's barely any sun (PNW?).

If you call it something like "waistline trim", though, it might not be the correct official term but it differentiates it from all the other trim that attaches to the side of the car. :)

If you call it something like "waistline trim", though, it might not be the correct official term but it differentiates it from all the other trim that attaches to the side of the car. :)

:doh:

The waistline or 'beltline' is at the narrows as the name implies, and in the case of a 240 it would be the window scraper molding at the bottom of the windows.

Yeah I saw that and they are a little pricey and was hoping to get them a little cheaper. But thank you.

It was always going to be an expensive build, so I bought new ones from Volvo. It was even possible to order the black waistline trim, even though those cars (1981+ 242's) were never sold here.
Such parts may not be available from them any more - you might just need to be getting this stuff from places where there's barely any sun (PNW?).

Thank you I will keep that in mind

Yeah, PNW is probably your best bet for used trim. If you go used, warm the pieces up in hot water or hit them with a heat gun before installing them. It'll make it a little easier.

I have a complete set of the front bumper trim. I may have a complete set of the wagon rear bumper trim as well. All these are used parts. About 1/2 price of the IPD reproduction pieces. Get in touch if you are interested in any of it.

I have a complete set of the front bumper trim. I may have a complete set of the wagon rear bumper trim as well. All these are used parts. About 1/2 price of the IPD reproduction pieces. Get in touch if you are interested in any of it.

Let me see what this local guy has and if that falls through I will definitely be reaching out to you. Do you have the rear trim for a sedan?

Back