home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #251
t8fanning
8v are still cool, right?

I was going to wait until I totally finished my clutch project to post, but oh well.

I picked up a Yoshifab billet flywheel kit that someone didn't use. Hopefully it doesn't slip anytime soon. I also decided to convert to a hydraulic clutch because that's what Mike K does and I want to be just like him (and I wanted to lighten my pedal a bit).

So I extended my pedal, put a stop in, and made a new master cylinder arm:

I made a center lengthening piece and two covers. If anyone wants the dxfs to make their own pedal longer, I'd be happy to share them.

However, when I put my new pedal in the box, it didn't line up with the brake pedal because of my launch control switch. I had to machine the stock Volvo bracket and move the switch back a bit. It now lines up fine.

The hydraulic throw out bearing I wanted to use didn't work with the stock M46 bellhousing because there was no place for it to sit flat, so I converted to a Kaplhenke adapter plate and used a buddy's mill to machine my bellhousing. Because Ben designed a good part, the stock hydro fork pivot point is still there.

However, the Kaplhenke adapter and Deeworks adapters put the trans at a little bit different angle, so I needed to make a new crossmember. It's just a plate with slots welded to the stock crossmember. I didn't take pictures because I put the plate on a bit crooked and that bugs me. I'll have to redo it again when I get my hands on another crossmember.

I also took my trans apart and put in brass shift fork pads, a brass shift bushing, a billet counter gear bearing retainer, tailshaft bushing and tailshaft seal. I also re shimmed the input shaft. Hopefully with all that, it doesn't pop out of second gear on hard downshifts.

So with the clutch and trans in, it looks like this:

I just need to wait for my crossmember to get back from powdercoat, figure out the clutch line, bleed it, fill the trans, and put the exhaust back in for it to drive again.

I also got some other parts powdercoated to look more OEM:

Old 09-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #252
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Looks good! Where/what does the bolt head of your clutch pedal stop contact?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #253
t8fanning

It hits the back of the pedal box. I didn't make a bracket like Mike did. I've actuated the pedal a bunch and haven't noticed any flexing, and I don't mind the long bolt, so I think it'll be ok.
t8fanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #254
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

I spy E36 parts...
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #255
t8fanning

What can I say? BMW makes a very convenient power distribution block with a remote jumper terminal.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #256
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

The hydro swap definitely got a little more involved for you, but it's worthwhile. Hopefully it all works out smoothly, mines been trouble free.

Powder coat is always a nice finishing touch
Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 AM   #257
t8fanning

I got everything installed and tried bleeding it, but had some trouble. I first tried it like the manual instructs, by pushing the pedal. That seemed to get rid of the air, but didn't cause the bearing to move toward the clutch. I then used my power bleeder and setthe pressure to 20 psi. Again it bled fine but the piston didn't move at all. Any hydraulic throw out bearing guys have insight to what my problem could be? Could my bearing be defective?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 AM   #258
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

I just power bled mine. Does the clutch feel fine to you?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 AM   #259
cosbySweater
Board Member

I'll tell you this, that wilwood master will not work with a hydro bearing, I had to switch to a 11/16 bore master for it to even attempt to work. Also did you shim the bearing properly?
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #260
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Nice work.

What are the two lines going to a pressure switch(?) in this pic?
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #261
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
I'll tell you this, that wilwood master will not work with a hydro bearing, I had to switch to a 11/16 bore master for it to even attempt to work. Also did you shim the bearing properly?
I'm about 1,200 miles on a .70" master and the same Tilton bearing without a problem. I've got the .63" on the shelf as I thought I'd try to get more pedal throw, but haven't tried it. If the bearing isn't even picking up the free space to the fingers it's got nothing to do with the size of the master.

The bearing isn't shimmed there's a sleeve that threads in and out to set the bearing clearance to the PP.

FYI the window in the bell housing is so big we were able to check bearing clearance with the whole thing assembled.

Last edited by Stiggy Pop; 09-13-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #262
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
I just power bled mine. Does the clutch feel fine to you?
It doesn't actuate. The bearing doesn't extend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
I set up the bearing properly. I didn't measure, but I'm sure it was the recommended 0.125" away from the fingers in the rest state. Also, Tilton recommends a 0.70" bore master for a 10.5-11" clutch with a master of stroke 1.4".

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
Nice work.

What are the two lines going to a pressure switch(?) in this pic?
Those are my fuel return lines and that's an ethanol content sensor for flex fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm about 1,200 miles on a .70" master and the same Tilton bearing without a problem. I've got the .63" on the shelf as I thought I'd try to get more pedal throw. If the bearing isn't even picking up the free space to the fingers it's got nothing to do with the size of the master.

The bearing isn't shimmed there's a sleeve that threads in and out to set the bearing clearance to the PP.

FYI the window in the bell housing is so big we were able to check bearing clearance with the whole thing assembled.
I tried both a 0.625" bore and the 0.7" bore and neither moved the hydraulic bearing. I think I'll call Tilton today and see what they think.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #263
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

Just a gravity bleed got mine 95% of the way there. After that I just did a pedal bleed following Tilton's recommended procedure.

That said, I'm using a Volvo 260 master with my Tilton release bearing.
The Full Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #264
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
Just a gravity bleed got mine 95% of the way there. After that I just did a pedal bleed following Tilton's recommended procedure.

That said, I'm using a Volvo 260 master with my Tilton release bearing.
Pretty sure the 260 is .75" bore and 1" stroke? Pretty similar.

Can't see pics at work, not to insult you but the bearing is positioned with the bleed line on top right? Just can't think of a good reason the piston wouldn't move if it's truly bled out and you're actuating the master.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #265
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

I noticed that the clutch master tab you welded to the pedal is angled towards the driver quite a bit vs inline with the pedal arm. Are you sure that the clutch master piston is moving properly during the pedal stroke?

(I assume that the tab is at that angle due to the piston rod length, but I'll ask anyway)
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #266
t8fanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
Pretty sure the 260 is .75" bore and 1" stroke? Pretty similar.

Can't see pics at work, not to insult you but the bearing is positioned with the bleed line on top right? Just can't think of a good reason the piston wouldn't move if it's truly bled out and you're actuating the master.
Yep, bleed line is the top one. I didn't feel any leaks in the bellhousing either. I haven't seen the piston move at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post

I noticed that the clutch master tab you welded to the pedal is angled towards the driver quite a bit vs inline with the pedal arm. Are you sure that the clutch master piston is moving properly during the pedal stroke?

(I assume that the tab is at that angle due to the piston rod length, but I'll ask anyway)
You're right. It's angled toward the driver due to the length of the piston rod. But even if that was a problem, I think the piston should still move when I use my power bleeder.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #267
t8fanning

Just called Summit. They're shipping me a new throwout bearing today and will send UPS to pick the bad one up on Monday. Great customer service. They're also in Nevada, so shipping is going only be a day or two.

Also, I've attached a folder containing the solidworks part files and .DXFs of my pedal extension parts.

You need to cut one of these:

Two of these:

One of these:

One thing to note is that master cylinder arm I made works with the uncut length Wilwood master cylinder rod and this clevis. I also undersized the hole (it's 8 mm) that the clevis pin goes through so you may or may not have to drill it to size.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pedal_Extension_Parts.zip (290.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #268
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
the fact that you have this minimal space here and seem to feel okay about it is comforting to me.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #269
cosbySweater
Board Member

That's ALOT of space quin
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #270
77volvo245
Board Member

Clears once it's going to clear twice..

77volvo245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #271
t8fanning

The engine doesn't move forward and the radiator doesn't move back, so there's no problem.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #272
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Hydro bearing is bunk time to ls swap it herp a derp a durrrrrrrrrrrrr - turbobricks
Old 09-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #273
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
the fact that you have this minimal space here and seem to feel okay about it is comforting to me.
That clearance in my car is about 1/2" and it's totally fine.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #274
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

i guess i'm new to this 'having no clearance anywhere' game.
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #275
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Is there any sort of "bench bleeding" the clutch MC that's required a la a new brake MC -- could something like that be an issue? Just seems unlikely to me to be a bad hyd TOB right out of the box.