• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Beach Party Funtimes wheeeeeeeeee! (Marin, CA - Aug. 18th)

lizadactyl

Crazy cat, lady
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=99729

Here's the plan dudes:

Saturday, August 18

Meet at the San Rafael High School parking lot on Saturday around 2pm (directions below). By 2:30, from there, we'll make a sweet Volvo caravan out to Limantour Beach (yes, if you Google it, the first hits include the word "nude" but I promise I've never seen any doodles I didn't want to see out there). From downtown SR it takes about an hour...very windy roads, beautiful scenery, totally awesome drive. Lots of picturesque moments to take some glamour shots of the ol' brick on the way out.

What to bring:
beach balls, bikinis, and booze. Also, if you plan on camping out overnight you might consider a sleeping bag, tent, warm layers, anything else you plan on using to defend yourself from mountain lions and sea monsters (maybe not but it might get kind of windy or cold). Also: food, grillables (if someone's got a little hibachi grill that'd be sweet, if not skewers work for hot doggies), water. When we go we usually spend a while picking up driftwood from the beach for a nice bonfire, but it wouldn't hurt to have some extra firewood. Keep in mind that there is short hike from the parking lot to the beach but it's nothin you can't handle, just don't bring eight kajillion bags of crap. I got my portable ipod speakers that worked pretty well last time, so we are good for tunes but feel free to bring yours.

Directions to SRHS:
(if you look for directions online it's gonna give you an address on Mission St., since that's the administration building, but the parking lot is on Third St., you'll see a big field and a track on either side of it...Google maps is the best (tru dat) double true! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...&sspn=0.001015,0.001824&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19&om=1 )

From 580W: Merge onto 101N, and stay in the exit lane for Central San Rafael. At the light, turn R onto Second street. Stay in the left lanes. Go through 2 traffic lights; Second street becomes Third street as it becomes two-way. Pass the Trader Joe's shopping center on your right and the Whole Foods on your left; make a left into the SRHS parking lot.

From 101N: Exit at Central San Rafael, follow directions above.

From 101S: Exit at Central San Rafael. Go through several traffic lights until you get to Second street; stay in the second lane turning left (Second is a one-way street). Turn left into the two right-most lanes (right side of the freeway pillar). Once on Second street follow directions above.

In case you're late and/or get lost (don't get lost), here is where we're driving:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...&sspn=0.001015,0.001824&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11&om=1

Sooooo post if you can make it. That's all I can think of right now, so I will leave you with some teasers. This is from when we spent the night on the beach last weekend.

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3084.jpg

our driftwood bounty:
IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

my obligatory beach cartwheel
IMG_3117.jpg

Last edited:
Is real nice!
691190140_31c99b441d_o.jpg

691190280_ccc25147da_o.jpg

690324293_6363671bbf_o.jpg

Everything they tell you not to do on the beach, you can probably get away with it here. You need to get a permit if camping over night (FREE, not enforced) and remove out all your own garbage. Theres a 300 yard walk from the parking lot to the beach so pack accordingly. You can bring alcohol on the beach as long as you don't leave any garbage. Leave the place as clean as you found it and everyone will be happy. Most of the driftwood will be gone by august but if everyone pitches in with a little bit of firewood we should be set with a real nice bonfire. It gets cold at night so pack accordingly. Bathroom facilities are limited so be prepared with a roll of toilet paper. It goes without saying that there is no lifeguard on duty, no cell phone service, and usually no rangers. Use common sense.

You can bring alcohol on the beach as long as you don't leave any garbage. Leave the place as clean as you found it and everyone will be happy

leave no trace.

I'll have to see how many km's away that is and see if I can make that long trip out. Crappy cuz teh weekend before I've got another fatty road trip planned out...

Thats sounds like fun. If theres alot of people going then I'll be there. Whats the parking situation like at the beach? Free overnight parking? Safe?

Directions to SRHS:
(if you look for directions online it's gonna give you an address on Mission St., since that's the administration building, but the parking lot is on Third St., you'll see a big field and a track on either side of it...Google maps is the best (tru dat) double true! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...&sspn=0.001015,0.001824&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19&om=1 )

I just wanted to say I'm proud of you for closing your double parentheses action you had going on there. :cheers:

What to bring:
beach balls, bikinis, and booze.
Should I bring my thong? Or would a one-piece be more appropriate?

very windy roads
Is it going to be a spirited drive? Or will it be more of a cruise-and-look-at-the-scenery kind of drive? Just curious. Prefer the former, but either one works for me.

Hank Scorpio said:
Swingerbeachball begins :-D
Thong it is!

Sweet, I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it in July because the $$$ situation isn't so good from moving. August works out perfect. This way we can have a get together at my place after the Squeeze Inn too, for the party animals.

Is it going to be a spirited drive? Or will it be more of a cruise-and-look-at-the-scenery kind of drive? Just curious. Prefer the former, but either one works for me.
I would focus on the scenery on the way there. Once we get there and unloaded we can take some spirited runs up and down Limantour road. Its an amazing 7 miles going over some rugged terrain. As long as it doesn't turn into some kind of drifto madness free for all/Oakland side show, the rangers won't bother us and we won't have to pull anyone out of the ditch. Keep in mind that cell phones don't work out there and the nearest tow truck is 20 miles away. A breakdown or crash out here will ruin your day. I'll probably throw in the "fun" diff and tires on the E30 and bring it out to play. Hope you can keep up :-D

Last edited:
I have adjusted the schedule and I am pretty sure this will happen. Can I ride with someone? I don't want to run those roads in the dually (no fun). Or I might be able to talk the better half into driving the truck to work that day and I can use the e46.

Either way, I'm in. I am trying to get a couple friends from Camarillo to come up too. They are car people and cool people. And they understand my Volvo addiction.

I just wanted to say I'm proud of you for closing your double parentheses action you had going on there. :cheers:

hhhwhy thank you. I guess if you want to get technical I really should've used [brackets] on the inner clause. :p

Should I bring my thong? Or would a one-piece be more appropriate?
This reminds me of how my grandpa always called flip-flops thongs. It was cause for much confusion and anticipated horror during beach trip preparation.

Like Justin said I think the way out there is worth slowing down for, it's gorgeous. Plenty of time for crazy fun drives later. We always go fast just cos we've done it a billion times and it's more fun that way.

Back