• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 How to tell which type of AC I have?

smarillo

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster! I may have the dumbest question in this forum but here goes nothin.
Is this a newer one or before Volvo or a mechanic upgraded it? What parts would be different?

ngxwCad.jpg

Looks like the original R12 system retrofitted to R134a. nothing is really different from the original, other than the added fitting to accept R134 charging tools, and hopefully the correct oil was added to the system when it was done.

I think the 1993 factory R134a system had a slightly higher capacity - to help counter the slightly less effective cooling of R134a vs. R12.

Not really enough of a difference to worry about, I think. It's more important that the system is properly charged and has the correct amount of oil and a clean filter/drier and a properly operating orifice.

Looks like the original R12 system retrofitted to R134a. nothing is really different from the original, other than the added fitting to accept R134 charging tools, and hopefully the correct oil was added to the system when it was done.

Ah cool thanks brotha. Yeaaah about that, my AC doesnt blow cold air. :p Makes sense when I look at it now, but my eyes are green. I'm gonna flush the system and replace the seals, at least the easier ones. And check the oil of course.

I think the 1993 factory R134a system had a slightly higher capacity - to help counter the slightly less effective cooling of R134a vs. R12.

Not really enough of a difference to worry about, I think. It's more important that the system is properly charged and has the correct amount of oil and a clean filter/drier and a properly operating orifice.

Thanks brotha. Have all those things on my list, just a have a few things to learn before that point!

Back