• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '86 745

scotch

I bought this car a little less than a year ago now. Before that I had a '90 244 N/A, m47 that I drove daily. I absolutely loved it, but always wanted a wagon. I put a local ad up looking for a 245 and the only response was a guy in town who said he had a 745 Turbo+ that he was looking to sell. I responded saying that I wasn't totally interested but I would come take a look regardless.

Turned out to be the one that I had seen driving around for a number of years now, owned by someone that lived not too far away from a close friend of mine. As I was having a look at the car I asked the guy to tell me a bit about it. The first sentence out of his mouth was "well, I bought it from the local dealership in 1987" and at that point I knew I wouldn't be able to pass on this car.

After test driving and talking with the guy a while longer (he was kind enough to show me his project car that was just in the midst of getting MegaSquirt tuned - a ground up resto 122 - body spent months on a rotisserie and every piece of the car looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor) I made an offer. A couple hours later it was mine.

Highlights include:
235 000 km at purchase
1 owner (all records including original invoice, shop bills for new pistons/rings/headgasket at 100 000 km, etc.)
m46 turbo intercooler
factory installed Turbo+ (overboost solenoid - 10psi at WOT)
IPD sways and chassis braces
Bilstein HD's all around
IPD exhaust
stainless brake lines
interior is mint - it's a two-tone black and white houdstooth pattern, leather bolsters, padded headrests
working A/C, heated seats, cruise control, power windows
only spots of rust are smaller than the tip of your fingernail, in the corners of the window frames (will be fixed once the snow is gone)

It's been fantastic to me. I did a Stage 0 and installed a stereo when I purchased it and i have not had to do anything aside from a water pump and oil changes since. 2 months after buying it my daughter and I took it on a 4000km camping trip out to the mountains and back. Just over new years myself and 4 friends loaded up all of our snowboards and gear and went on a 3000km trip down to Wyoming. Not even a hiccup yet.

Plans for the future include upgrading parts as they wear and fail (brakes and bushings are coming up this spring) and trying not to molest it so it can stay on the road for another 29 years.

I only have 2 photos of it from when I was in the Kootenay Valley last summer. If there's anything anyone wants a shot of, I'll see what I can do.

I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. I'll try to get some interior shots in the next day or two. Thanks guys!

Shop notes say compression was a few points low on one cylinder. I guess the p/o figured they might as well handle it all while they were in there?

Welcome to the silver 745 club! Great looking car that you have there (although I'm a little biased). I wish mine had the houndstooth interior at times. Looks like it has a block heater?

Last edited:
Yeah, the block heater is kind of a must have on the Canadian prairies.Temperatures hit -40 without the wind chill pretty frequently during the winter. Car also has a command start and remote locks, the first vehicle I've had with it, which is really handy with young kids.

I picked up a set of FAST Europa wheels in 18x8 et 48 in 5x114.3 that I'm thinking of adapting for the summer. might sell them to fund other things and just run the 14" 240 steelies. Still undecided on that one.

Nice car, always liked the early 740 wagon with the quads and egg crate grille. Best color combo too! You got incredibly lucky having the first owner find you, that does not happen every day!

Back