• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

twin disk clutch setup, look here if you want one.

qwkswede

Old and Slow
300+ Club
Hey guys.
I'm working with McLeod on a custom made flywheel for one of the local cars right now. If you are interested in a streetable twin disk setup for your volvo redblock drop me a note. I'm still going back and forth with the design, but here is what I know so far.

This will be a "street-twin" setup from Mcleod, complete with a billet steel flywheel. It will have a stock or lighter pedal feel and hold 800ft-lbs torque. The pricing is going to be somewhere around $1000 for everything. Thats my one off price. McLeod says the price can come down if they make more than one. I don't know how much discount and don't really care. I'm not trying to get these "produced'.

I'm doing this soon, and a single custom unit is fine with me. If you want to jump in on this and have a really nice clutch that can take some serious torque, weigh alot less than stock, and have a light pedal too, then send me a message. I'll try to inclue you on the deal. I assume there will be some designs on file at McLeod when I am done. I'll try to make contact info available if someone wants one later.

I have been through 2.5 clutches that cost about $400-$500. So this isn't a bad deal considering you get a new SFI approved billet steel or aluminum flywheel.

interest peaked.

when you say everything, can you elaborate slightly?
We will be able to use stock fork/throwout or what? I like the simplicity of my cable clutch but if this is simply a solution for what's going on inside the bellhousing, sounds like something I'd fork some $ out for.

Also, is it my discretion what kind of clutch splines I get? I mean...you have getrag, I have t5.

Last edited:
The stock pressure plate height is in the design for now. And McLeod knows about the cable actuated fork. They are working on a design that will use an off the shelf pp and disk pack, and the volvo clutch release bearings. I have no idea if it is possible or not right now. But they are working on it.

interest peaked.

when you say everything, can you elaborate slightly?
We will be able to use stock fork/throwout or what? I like the simplicity of my cable clutch but if this is simply a solution for what's going on inside the bellhousing, sounds like something I'd fork some $ out for.

Also, is it my discretion what kind of clutch splines I get? I mean...you have getrag, I have t5.

800ft lb and stock pedal effort sounds evil. :oogle:

is this a 7.25"? any idea if they use the "standard" 6 bolt pcd?

800ft lb and stock pedal effort sounds evil. :oogle:

is this a 7.25"? any idea if they use the "standard" 6 bolt pcd?

yeah. the 1000ft/lb i'm looking at for the evo is allegedly "slightly" stiffer than stock. Twin disc is the way to go if you're making power.

yeah. the 1000ft/lb i'm looking at for the evo is allegedly "slightly" stiffer than stock. Twin disc is the way to go if you're making power.

fo sho, i was staring at the triple plate from a stockcar at work today...i wanted to walk out with it under my shirt...

You know 3.5kg multi disc ready billet flywheels are available already, don't you?

http://www.ttvracing.com/

Volvo%20240%20B230%20Race%20flywheel.jpg

And the UK/USA exchange rate is in your favour at the moment.

The AP/Quartermaster/Tilton multi plate clutches will not have stock pedal feel like the McLeod. If they are the sintered metallic type especially it's about a 2 steps away from being an on-off switch. A clutch that bites hard with no slip is great at completely wrecking a drivetrain from shock load.

The AP/Quartermaster/Tilton multi plate clutches will not have stock pedal feel like the McLeod. If they are the sintered metallic type especially it's about a 2 steps away from being an on-off switch. A clutch that bites hard with no slip is great at completely wrecking a drivetrain from shock load.

Looking at the option for Tilton, aren't the cerametallic plates a lot more forgiving (& importantly- cheaper)?

You know 3.5kg multi disc ready billet flywheels are available already, don't you?

http://www.ttvracing.com/

And the UK/USA exchange rate is in your favour at the moment.

That's fine, but it sounds like Ken is coming up with a "kit" to get it done in one shot. That's what I'd be interested in. I'm tired of waiting and waiting for specialty parts :) Group buys and the like, you know? ;-)

That's fine, but it sounds like Ken is coming up with a "kit" to get it done in one shot. That's what I'd be interested in. I'm tired of waiting and waiting for specialty parts :) Group buys and the like, you know? ;-)

amen

and I emailed the guy a while back back a stock-size redblock flywheel (8.5 or 9.0) and got nothing back. Still have the money burning a hole..

Working with Red McLeod has been a pretty good experience. He admits to being one of the very few US clutch shops that will even take on custom work any more. I can pretty much confirm that. I have called a ton of places. I'm sure they can get this done one way or another. I don't think they will offer it for sale as a mass produced part. But hes not charging a big premium for a custom part.

I should talk to him again on Monday or Tuesday. I left him with alot of measurements from my flywheel and pressure plate. I will have to drop off a sample soon so that he can confirm the final dimensions.

On the phone, Red was looking at 8 or 8.5" disks. I'm not sure where he will end up. It all depends on what he has that can fit the flywheel and keep the release bearing and fork alignment the same. The bigger size is more desirable for street drive ability.

I'll let him know that there are potentially another 2 or 3 others that might want a copy of the setup.

Ken indicated that it would be around $1000, I can't believe that this setup would weigh more than the iron flywheel and stock clutch(infact I would expect it to be significantly lighter) so work out shipping based on that you'll have a pretty good ball park figure to work out if it's within your budget.

Laters
Nick

Back