• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 245 Overdrive issues

Old Iron

I Roll
Hey guys, I have a 1993 245 that won't start. The overdrive relay is making a horrible buzz. The first time I try to start the car, the overdrive relay makes the horrible buzz, the second time I have no life from the fuel pump relay until I unplug the fuel pump relay and plug it back in. Car still won't start when I unplug the over drive relay and plug the fuel pump relay back in? Does a faulty overdrive system sometimes cause a no start in a 240?

Obviously, I found lots of threads about overdrive problems, but nothing quite like this!? I am about to go outside and get under the car to check out the solenoid.

Hey guys, I have a 1993 245 that won't start. The overdrive relay is making a horrible buzz. The first time I try to start the car, the overdrive relay makes the horrible buzz, the second time I have no life from the fuel pump relay until I unplug the fuel pump relay and plug it back in. Car still won't start when I unplug the over drive relay and plug the fuel pump relay back in? Does a faulty overdrive system sometimes cause a no start in a 240?

Obviously, I found lots of threads about overdrive problems, but nothing quite like this!? I am about to go outside and get under the car to check out the solenoid.

My '93 has no OD relay at all. It went bad years ago so I removed it and notched the solenoid.
It starts just fine. :e-shrug:
You sure you didn't swap them by mistake?

Ya, we bought this car in January, I am almost 100% sure I just disconnected it before we drove it home that day. It has just been too cold out to work on the car. It must be a different issue then the overdrive. I wonder then why the fuel pump we whine on the first try, I take the key out of the ignition and try again an no life from the fuel pump until I unplug the relay and plug it back in?

I just swapped the overdrive and fuel pump relays from my 1992 245 and still the same symptoms all around! I plugged everything back into my 1992 and it all worked like it should. Thankfully the 1993's overdrive system did not blow up my know-to-be working overdrive relay!

Ya, we bought this car in January, I am almost 100% sure I just disconnected it before we drove it home that day. It has just been too cold out to work on the car. It must be a different issue then the overdrive. I wonder then why the fuel pump we whine on the first try, I take the key out of the ignition and try again an no life from the fuel pump until I unplug the relay and plug it back in?

I just swapped the overdrive and fuel pump relays from my 1992 245 and still the same symptoms all around! I plugged everything back into my 1992 and it all worked like it should. Thankfully the 1993's overdrive system did not blow up my know-to-be working overdrive relay!
Bad ground maybe.
Almost sounds like the fuel pump relay is back feeding the OD relay.

Which fuse runs the intank pump? The cover only highlights the number 4 fuse as running the main pump, the owners manual only highlights that same info! Thanks for all the help so far!

The CPS harness looks like its in pretty bad, shape. I unplugged the harness and the connector has green goop :0 I am going to try and clean it!

Ok, cleaned as much of the green gunk off as I could, really could not get much off and sprayed it with electical wire/connector cleaner and it started right up. The CPS wire failure is a pretty common thing, it happened to my 1992 as well!

Ok, cleaned as much of the green gunk off as I could, really could not get much off and sprayed it with electical wire/connector cleaner and it started right up. The CPS wire failure is a pretty common thing, it happened to my 1992 as well!

That was easy. Glad you found it and was able to get going without to much drama.:)

Noice! The OD buzzing was the kicker.
Does it still do that?

I honestly just left the OD relay unplugged!

That was easy. Glad you found it and was able to get going without to much drama.:)

Glad I knew to look at the CPS wiring as an issue. Honestly, IDK that that explains why the fuel pump relay needs to be unplugged and plugged back in for it to kick on?????? Also, I will have to see if I still have my extra CPS wiring on my 1993 240 Squirter block in the garage. I will swap it in and see if the symptoms improve.

Still i was able to drive the car around, if I turned it off, I would have to start all over to get it to start (unplug fuel pump relay and jiggle the CPS wire). Even at that, it took a lot of that to get the car started. On top of the car having a tuff time starting, it would cut out and turn off from time to time. Hunch Says it is not the AMM as the car ran great when it was plugged in (still I know that doesn't mean it is not faulty?). Can the nasty CPS wire, cause the car to die while driving at parking lot speeds, or is it only useful on start up?

Quite an adventure going out in this thing! Definitely did not think we would make it home without calling a tow truck!

I honestly just left the OD relay unplugged!

Glad I knew to look at the CPS wiring as an issue. Honestly, IDK that that explains why the fuel pump relay needs to be unplugged and plugged back in for it to kick on?????? Also, I will have to see if I still have my extra CPS wiring on my 1993 240 Squirter block in the garage. I will swap it in and see if the symptoms improve.

Still i was able to drive the car around, if I turned it off, I would have to start all over to get it to start (unplug fuel pump relay and jiggle the CPS wire). Even at that, it took a lot of that to get the car started. On top of the car having a tuff time starting, it would cut out and turn off from time to time. Hunch Says it is not the AMM as the car ran great when it was plugged in (still I know that doesn't mean it is not faulty?). Can the nasty CPS wire, cause the car to die while driving at parking lot speeds, or is it only useful on start up?

Quite an adventure going out in this thing! Definitely did not think we would make it home without calling a tow truck!
probably.
any 1-3-1 code for rpm? any other codes?
do you have a tach, if so, is it jumping all over the place, stable, intermittent?
if i remember right, when cranking you should normally see the speedo hop a teeeny tiny bit as it cranks, if not, the thing is not getting the signal it needs from cps.

since it sat it is worth going down the whole plug with a multimeter.
rpm is on page 43
http://www.k-jet.org/files/greenbooks/200/Section 2 - Engine/TP31361-1_LH-Jet_2.4_B230.pdf

I have to search for my multimeter in the AM, I can not for the life of me figure out where I put it! Now that you mention it, while cruising at about 40-50 mph the car did something weird. It revved down to 1,500rpm from 2,500rpm and back up to 2,500! Felt like the car was going to stall out! Odd!

Last edited:
I have to search for my multimeter in the AM, I can not for the life of me figure out where I put it! Now that you mention it, while cruising at about 40-50 mph the car did something weird. It revved down to 1,500rpm front 2,500rpm and back up to 2,500! Felt like the car was going to stall out! Odd!

yea i understand, i have a pos analog, two simpson 260s, and two greenly dm-65s one of witch needs a fuse... that way i have no excuses:cool:

...that said... i still have to know where they are to use them, and i only know that now because of the recent witch hunt for them.

I am going to be honest, I think some dip sh^t cut the diagnostic module off the drivers wheel well! :(

Edit: This is not the first time I have seen a late model 240 with that module cut out, why in the world anyone would consider that is so far beyond me!

Back