• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brand new '81 262C Bertone Coupe . . .

pgringo,

Thanks! Stand by!

Got a good battery to play with will spend the afternoon seeing what happens.

Wish I had spent more time trying to find a home for my D24 engine out of my 245 wagon before sending it to the scrap yard. No one seemed to want anything and I was going to deliver for the shipping cost.

Are you the one with the blown head gasket who gave up & junked the car?

Not me.

I replaced the head due to a broken cam belt at 130k miles then got another 50k out of it.

My D24 decided it didn't want to start at 180k miles. Transmission was already dying. Put it in storage for 16 years before starting the Ford V8 swap. May get that started this week. Waiting on a fuel pressure regulator.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

P3170829.jpg

Last edited:
Rained out

Got out this afternoon chasing the fuel problem. When I started the pumps were not pumping, the fuel pump relay was not operating. ALL the fuses in the kick panel were corroded. Power to the black connector block in the engine bay but not to the relay. Cleaned the fuses and holders for #5, #7 and #13 and now the relay operates when the ignition switch is moved to start position and provides power on yellow/red wires to the pumps. Ran a temp hose from the fuel filter gas line to a gas can and pumped the tank dry. Not much there.

Put 5 gal of fresh gas in. Pumped a gallon through the system by jumpering the pumps on fuses #5 and #7 and I now know that the pump relay works.

Previous mechanic told me that he had spent $270 on a fuel injector distributor rebuild kit and installed it. At that point he had fuel to the CI distributor but that the distributor leaked. Now that I had fuel there also I took a couple of the hose connections apart. There was only one copper crush washer on the banjo connectors. No wonder it leaked. Went to NAPA for washers and then got rained out.

. . . to be continued.

I think this thing is going to start!

the bertone had a super special undersize expanding spare tire. you may notice the rear doesn't have a butt cheek on either side of the back end. the gt's were also sans butt cheek.

My '81 Bertone VIN ends in 8737 and my car has no butt cheeks and the undersized spare with compressor.

Spent an entertaining couple of hours working on the fuel delivery problem. The fuel distributor is leaking probably from the amateur installation of the rebuild kit. Pulled it off and thought there were copper crush washers missing from the banjo connections but the guy that installed it put both washers on one side of the banjo. That solved some of the leaks but not all. It is leaking from between the two halves of the body.

The car tries to start, sputters, spins up but never can seem to get going. Runs well on starter fluid.

Searching for a distributor.

Wish I still had mine so I could send it to you. I tried to sell my rebuilt B28F for months at $100 and got zero interest. Ended up selling the fuel distributor for $50 and scrapping the rest.

Wish I still had mine so I could send it to you. I tried to sell my rebuilt B28F for months at $100 and got zero interest. Ended up selling the fuel distributor for $50 and scrapping the rest.

I'm feeling guilty about tossing a running (not for long-milkshake) B28F in the scrap pile.
Hind site is always 20/20.

. . . when I could have had a V8? . . . with injection?

Anyone else out there got a PRV sitting in a corner of the garage? Bosch part number is 0 438 100 076. Used in '80 - '82 B28F engines.

Last edited:
If you're feeling flush, you could get one from the guys at specialtauto.com. They should have a good rebuild in stock.

Still researching the replacement fuel distributor.

Pulled the wheels today and found that all the rotors had been turned but are now rusty, new pads all around. All the bleed valves were new but the calipers were rusty. Think I was told that calipers were replaced. I will check on that next week. Replaced the master cylinder as that was next on the PO's list.

Never seen this before but there is no brake fluid to the left rear caliper! Bled the other three normally.

Anyone ever seen this situation before I start tearing apart the brake lines, proportional valve and brake failure device?

Could just be moisture related corrosion in the system has it blocked --- hard to say Tom until you start opening up that line at various places and seeing where you have fluid and where you don't. Good news is that the lines aren't steel - so the corrosion is less likely to have affected them in any significant way.

Been raining all morning and since I have run out of garage space this is being done outside. Sun is out now and will get it after lunch. Thought I would start with the proportioning valve.

I did get the brake line resolved. The flex hose to the proportioning valve was all gummed up. Replaced the left one and now have the other in hand. You just can't trust a car to sit up 19 years and still run.

In the mean time . . . sent the fuel distributor on an all expense paid vacation to JayTan Ind. in Orange, CA for the full spa treatment. They turned it around in a day and now it doesn't leak . . . but doesn't start either. Still runs on starter fluid.

Ordered the GreenBook fuel injection book off eBay and we will see where we get with that.

Back