• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

Updates?

Hi Sander, hope everything is going well with you and your amazing project. Looking forward to any updates.

Still alive and working on it, just not much to report at the moment. Been spending most my spare time on building furniture, installing a new kitchen and making some changes in the garage. I have the front suspension and brakes now almost done, so when I take the engine out again to freshen it up a bit and weld the oil sump I can just bolt everything to the car in 1 go. The reason I didn't take the engine out yet is because I can't store it in the garage at the moment, so I'm solving that issue first. Expect some updates end of April/beginning May :)

Still alive and working on it, just not much to report at the moment. Been spending most my spare time on building furniture, installing a new kitchen and making some changes in the garage. I have the front suspension and brakes now almost done, so when I take the engine out again to freshen it up a bit and weld the oil sump I can just bolt everything to the car in 1 go. The reason I didn't take the engine out yet is because I can't store it in the garage at the moment, so I'm solving that issue first. Expect some updates end of April/beginning May :)

Its beginning may :)

I guess I should do something then :D Started with modifying a 960 subframe (is the same, except for some extra ear things for the 960 subframe brackets), it needs a bit more clearance for the oil sump and there is about 2cm of space between the top of the steering rack and the subframe, so I made it lower. Gained almost 2cm in clearance for the oil pan. Also installed the end links and arms for the 960 II front suspension. The track rods are much shorter than on the 740, but the end links are much longer (they are the same ones as on the 850). I'm now preparing all the parts for the entire front suspension and brakes so that when I take the engine out again to refirbish some things and weld an oil sump, I can mount everything in 1 go and call it a day.

Last edited:
Slightly bigger update this time. Removed the engine again so I can replace the seals and gaskets etc, paint some things and weld a new oil pan that actually fits in the car. While it's out, I can finish the rest of the suspension and brakes etc. I'm swapping in a front axle from a 960II with some 850 coil overs. First I removed the old mounting points, then welded on the 960 ones. You can still get the left one new from Volvo, just not the right one. It all fits great, no need for spacers anymore either with high offset wheels. The brakes also fit perfectly in the 18" wheels. All in all it's a much beafier setup than the 740 front axle. The steering rack is the same, it just has different end links and rods. Anyway, lots of pics:

Last edited:
dont forget rustprotection on the inner side of the frame.. the heat was high and the paint will be burned..

nice work!
Thanks! It'll definitely get a nice coat of tectyl or some other rust protection coating in the rails.

Heerlijk weer dit... keep up the good work Sander, time flies when your having fun ;-)
Is the house ready now, i.e. are you settled?

Heerlijk weer dit... keep up the good work Sander, time flies when your having fun ;-)
Is the house ready now, i.e. are you settled?
Thanks, yes more or less done. Still some work to do on the garage to get more space, but that'll have to wait.
Realy nice work with the car! :)
Thanks!

Started working on the oil sump. The M120 has the oil sump right where the Volvo has the crossmember with the steering rack in it, so I'm relocating it to the back. A front sump would be easier to make, but it would be in the way for the sway bar and would be too close to the ground for comfort. It needs to take 10L of oil, so it's quite big. I cut the sump off of one and weld it in place, then remove the rest to minimize warping during welding. I'll also have to relocate the oil pickup tube. Anyway, pictures make it easier to imagine:

Started planning a bit for the intake too. I'll cut off most of the original intake, so the piece in the V with the injectors an fuel rail will remain and then attach the itbs to that.

Last edited:
There are so many points in this project where I would have been like, "Nope, and uhhhhh, nope!" I think the only thing that's going to even slightly retain it's stock origin once you're done is going to be the dome light... wiring harness.

:-P

There are so many points in this project where I would have been like, "Nope, and uhhhhh, nope!" I think the only thing that's going to even slightly retain it's stock origin once you're done is going to be the dome light... wiring harness.

:-P

Haha yeah that's probably the only original bit left :p Besides the drivetrain and brakes, it's still all Volvo stuff though.

Also, continued a bit on the oil pan:

Last edited:
Awesome to see another Dutch guy doing an M120 swap.
This post is pushing me towards going dry sump though :p.

I'll be making a tube between the front part of the sump and the rear part. It's a bit annoying to have to do this, but the oil pump hangs under the engine in the front part of the sump so I can't make it smaller there. The tube will connect the new rear sump with the front one and goes underneath the subframe. I'll make some baffles etc in it too to prevent the oil from all moving forward during heavy braking.

Yeah, but in a Miata. Just joined here to follow your build :p.

Sounds like fun :D is there enough space in a miata or do you just have to make enough space?

Back