• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Qwkswede's 1992 244 daily driver. Back to my rolling roots.

Slow progress on the Turbo install.

The holiday weekend wasn't as productive as I hoped, there were lots of family and friend reunions to attend taking away from garage time. But I got a few hours in the garage, and I made a junkyard trip to gather a couple hoses for the intake tract. The weekend was spent concentrating on plumbing issues.

The turbo oil drain came out looking decent. It is 5/8" push on hose and some AN ends top and bottom. It drains into my weld fitting in the side of the oil pan.

IMAGE_1231.jpeg

Fitting the mass airflow sensor and an air cleaner was a bit of a challenge. I notice that some people have used 740 turbo air boxes and remove the large window washer reservoir. I really need to keep the washers working, so I came up with this cone filter setup for now. I might do something cleaner later if I can gather some parts that work together.

IMAGE_1233.jpeg

Some cut and paste rubber intake pipes are working for the MAF sensor mounting for now. I'll need to rethink this soon so I can install a diverter valve.
IMAGE_1232.jpeg

Here is the current view.
IMAGE_1234.jpeg

I have a couple tricky items to finish before I can start her up.
1. I'll build an entire exhaust system from front to rear. I have the tubing and muffler for a nice 2.5" homebrew setup.

2. I need to relocate the MAF sensor wiring to the passenger side. Anyone have some tips for that? Cutting the plug and adding wire to wrap around the back of the motor seems the obvious choice. Fishing the current wires out of the harness and rerouting 'sounds like major grief that I would like to avoid.

3. Finish up a couple more plumbing items with the idle valve and crankcase vent hoses.

I think it will be another week or two before I am running positive pressure.

The stock NA fan shroud was going to be a problem with the intercooler mounted in the nose. So I modified a 960 electric fan and bolted it to the radiator.

IMAGE_1235.jpeg

I'm almost done with my 244 turbocharging project. For me it wasn't the 24 hour B230F+T install that some speedy Brickstas claim. The car has been on stands for about a month, and I have been working 2 or 3 evenings per week on the project. I would estimate about 40-50 hours into the job. I did do a couple things beyond the basic bolt on turbo kit to add some time to the project. Things like the custom exhaust, an electric fan conversion, and wideband AFR gauge install. I want to drive it this weekend if everything goes well.

Here are some recent photos from the garage. I have the exhaust system mostly done now and just need to bolt it back on. It is built from 2.5" mild steel tubing, a Borla muffler and magnaflow catalytic converter. I have a couple of stainless band clamps around the catalyst so that I can remove and replace it easily. I sprayed the mild steel and welds with Por15 high temp exhaust coating to keep the rust away. The total parts bill for everything was about $300.

IMAGE_1237.jpeg

IMAGE_1240.jpeg

IMAGE_1266.jpeg

IMAGE_1268.jpeg
IMAGE_1269.jpeg

IMAGE_1270.jpeg

The complete photo album for the 244 is here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1178...7268701777?banner=pwa&authkey=CNu9p4T0vru6zgE

It runs and drives! And it makes a nice turbo sound. I can't say it is fast yet. I'm running basic wAstegate pressure for now. But it is MUCH better that the NA power. It doesn't feel dangerous when crossing traffic now.

The engine dies sometimes when I close the throttle. And worse if I close it quickly from boost. I'm not sure what is causing that. But I'll fack around with tps and MAF orientation to see if That helps.

It runs and drives! And it makes a nice turbo sound. I can't say it is fast yet. I'm running basic wAstegate pressure for now. But it is MUCH better that the NA power. It doesn't feel dangerous when crossing traffic now.

The engine dies sometimes when I close the throttle. And worse if I close it quickly from boost. I'm not sure what is causing that. But I'll fack around with tps and MAF orientation to see if That helps.

Won't help. You need to make absolutely sure that the idle switch on the throttle body is set perfectly.

Yeah. I was calling the throttle switch a TPS. Not correct, but i have been able to improve the stalling problem by screwing in the throttle stop idle adjust and resetting the throttle switch to match.
Won't help. You need to make absolutely sure that the idle switch on the throttle body is set perfectly.

It is still not perfect. and I feel part of the problem is a lack of bypass valve. A big chugging surge on throttle dump seems to piss it off. My intake plumbing is very cramped by the washer bottle and other stuff behind the passenger headlight, but ill figure out a way to squeeze a cbv in there.

I bumped boost pressure up to 10-11psi and now it is starting to feel like a real turbo car. It is Super fun now, and approaching my vision of a good daily driver Volvo. If reliability stays good I'll be content. I have about $4000 into it now and enjoying it as much as the R wagon i sold.

Ill get another 0-60 run soon. 😄

T3? Worthwhile getting a Turbo washer And coolant overflow bottle. My intake tract uses all 740T stock bits including the airbox. Forge 007 fits there nicely. Hose of the correct size is tough to procure though.

One if the main reasons why I'm switching to a TD04HL. Packaging is just so nice with the small frame turbos.

I wasnt sure if the turbo washer bottle fits on a car with abs brakes. I do think ill grab an airbox next time im at the junkyard. The cone filter on the T3 makes for a very loud intake. I think these small turbos boosting all the time are noisy buggers. The proper air box should muffle things a little

idk, had to drastically cut my box to make it fit. Small caveat. Louder than the cone filter that was before it for sure. Acoustic foam will be your best friend to keep the squirrelly and whooshy noises muffled.

Harribert, Interesting observations about the noisy airboxes. I drove it to work today and it is behaving pretty decently now. Maybe LH2.4 is learning some lessons because it is running better and better. I still get a stumble when I drop throttle, but its not horrible and the engine doesn't die. Other than that issue its a pretty comfortable daily driver again.
The exhaust note is about perfect, not silent but no droning or annoyances driving around. It has a nice deep gurgle idling. I'm not sure I could pass it off as a stock exhaust to anyone who knows Volvos, but close enough. The emissions police will be happy I'm sure.
I just want to put some miles on it now. That is exactly what I bought the car for a couple months ago and I have been missing it for the last couple weeks during the turbo-ing.

Back