• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boosted on a budget

Woot. Got the clutch/transmission installed in a record time.
Its just a regular SACHs clutch nothing special.

2DB1E5B5-9249-433F-9ACC-434E7F6A1C50.jpg

This one's for you rednecks out there or if your like me and like cheap beer when working in the shop:

FFF6CD3F-49F3-478F-8FB3-52DBB8D7C64A.jpg

And a final shot of the transmission back into its home:

6D482F65-C799-4172-BF2E-5CB9664AA5A8.jpg

So, when I was installing the transmission, I came about a technique that cut the installation time in more than half (took about an hour from jacking the car up to lowering it back down) for the average DIY'r with no special transmission jack. There are some that will say this isn't safe or that was stupid but I wouldn't advise doing it if you are scrawny and cant lift weights:nono:. If you are comfortable and can lift then you will be ok.

I started with the car jacked up enough to slide under it. I then laid down feet first going under the front of the car. set the transmission bell housing on my chest and the tail shaft towards my feet (this would be much easier with a creeper but I don't have one) then I did the worm like movement in order to get right under the flywheel. I used my legs along with my arms to push upwards until the transmission was level and slid the input shaft right into the clutch hole just enough to get it started. Then you want to rotate the transmission so that the big hump on the bell housing is at the lower level of approximately 5 o'clock. this allows it to fully engage without hitting the tunnel. Then rotate it back up (counter clockwise) into correct position and its done. Put your bolts back in and crack that PBR that you bought with your budget money and tell yourself "hell yeah that was easy" and take a drank. :cheers:

For those of you thinking that is a terrible way to do it, what if it falls on you, what if you lose grip etc. you are right. Don't do it my way, its unsafe. But I will continue it this way because it was easy and the M46 weighs nothing.

I like the motor trans package install.... but sometimes that doesnt work from up top... Although NChoy had a good plan with his 122 to not hurt the paint and that was to lift the car and set it on the motor/trans/xmember. That way its only 6 bolts to tighten while on your back (on a 122 of course).

OK, so I don't have any new updates but i wanted to throw a few photos out there just to keep this thread alive.

So with budget in mind, I GhettoFabd' up a cold air intake. What ya think?:

999DAB34-3C4D-4599-9D12-DFE0BB019EB3.jpg

Lol, you thought PBR was bad haha. But that was just a joke. That box would blow the welds on the intake.

A couple of fun shots with my phone:

EBA26EC7-198D-43A3-8302-61EEE09BBCF7.jpg

05624ACA-A0DC-46B1-AC88-F3D8D575B234.jpg

8e71102e-67db-4970-9e46-bd24ddd1ec4f.jpg

I hope to have some more updates soon. I will be attempting to drive it this week sometime and see how it does with the new clutch. I have been working on some rear suspension ghettofab for better coilers. Once completed I will post for fun even though this thread was originally a +T thread?
Until then.

Haha. Your'e right Dennis. I am drinkin it.
I only drink cheap beer in the garage though because I go through them so fast ghettofabin stuff.
When i'm done, I will relax to a Guinness or maybe an IPA.

I really like this build! Excited to see what your doing for the rear suspension. Im in the middle of modding my trailing arms for coilovers too

OK, so I don't have any new updates but i wanted to throw a few photos out there just to keep this thread alive.

So with budget in mind, I GhettoFabd' up a cold air intake. What ya think?:

999DAB34-3C4D-4599-9D12-DFE0BB019EB3.jpg

Lol, you thought PBR was bad haha. But that was just a joke. That box would blow the welds on the intake.

A couple of fun shots with my phone:

EBA26EC7-198D-43A3-8302-61EEE09BBCF7.jpg

05624ACA-A0DC-46B1-AC88-F3D8D575B234.jpg

8e71102e-67db-4970-9e46-bd24ddd1ec4f.jpg

I hope to have some more updates soon. I will be attempting to drive it this week sometime and see how it does with the new clutch. I have been working on some rear suspension ghettofab for better coilers. Once completed I will post for fun even though this thread was originally a +T thread?
Until then.

Mr Brown, you have me looking for new pictures updates on a daily basis and got me thinking about welding and painting on my next project. keep up the great work.

You didn't leave me anything to comment negatively on, so I guess I have to ask a real question. Any idea on what you'll be doing for engine management on this build?

Just LH 2.4 with chips. I'm not very/computer savvy and I don't understand how to tune so this will be all for now.

Just LH 2.4 with chips. I'm not very/computer savvy and I don't understand how to tune so this will be all for now.

I'm really tempted to stay this route with mine, but with the PNP microsquirt being so cheap it's really hard not to pick it up. I'm not capable of tuning mine either, but I would assume it's just as easy for someone to make maps for microsquirt. I'll just have to make you my guinea pig before pulling the trigger.

Back