• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sunroof crank internals? 200 1980

whitedavidp

The sunroof crank in the wife's 1980 244 has long been an irritation. It always seems to work its way loose and requires re-tightening. Usually this is just an irritation but today it has turned into a real PIA. When removing the crank arm and gear mechanism, the gear mechanism just blew apart into multiple pieces and somewhere, somehow, I think I have lost some small bit(s).

The casting on the gear mechanism appears to be marked GOLDE 523-413-611 (or is that G11?). Aside from the casting, I have a washer with a dawg on the outside edge, a "toothed" disk with some form of stop on one side, and the gear itself.

When I try to put things together with only these, the thing does not seem to wind to a point where it stops and it used to before this explosion of bits today. So I figure I have lost something. But I have no idea what it is or looks like.

Can anyone who has been inside of these tell me what should be there? There are teeth in the casting, teeth on the disk that fits inside. But I see nothing to show a reason for these to be there. So maybe that is what is missing. Details of the parts and how to properly assemble are appreciated.

And if someone can suggest a way to keep this thing in place, the mounting screws not loosening up all the time (short of epoxy since I may have some legitimate need to remove it at some point) I would appreciate that too. I have tried blue locktite and that hasn't helped at all.

Thanks

To my understanding. Volvo only supplied that part as the unit to screw into the roof. They called it the transmission or something like that. It's identical to the Golde sunroofs units used in beetles, bmw, mercedes, Porsche. With all the german car restoration that goes on now you can probably buy the part.

Maybe there is a bit of tension in the cables? Try lubricating the cables so they move easier and use some red loctite on the crank handle screw. Get a really well fitting screw driver so you have good leverage.

The "gear housing" as Volvo calls it is not serviceable and is now NLA. Once the back plate comes loose they're basically junk unless you re-stake it before it comes apart. Start looking for a good used one.

There are replaceable nut plates for the 2 screws holding the gear housing to the sunroof. The threads in the nut plates are probably worn out. Replace them and the screws and use some thread locker and it'll be good for a while.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-nut-plate-681098

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-cross-recessed-956165

FYI, the original gear housing is chrome plated. It was updated to an unplated housing and a plastic cover available in black or beige.

Golde_Sunroof_Crank_02.jpg

Golde_Sunroof_Crank_03.jpg

The "gear housing" as Volvo calls it is not serviceable and is now NLA. Once the back plate comes loose they're basically junk unless you re-stake it before it comes apart. Start looking for a good used one.

There are replaceable nut plates for the 2 screws holding the gear housing to the sunroof. The threads in the nut plates are probably worn out. Replace them and the screws and use some thread locker and it'll be good for a while.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-nut-plate-681098

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-cross-recessed-956165

FYI, the original gear housing is chrome plated. It was updated to an unplated housing and a plastic cover available in black or beige.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Since Tasca shows not photos, is the first link for the nut plate? Are they the same for both sides? While fooling around yesterday I was thinking that these may be the problem. Any idea how they come loose/out?

Is the second link for the bolts?

I appreciate your time, help, and knowledge.

To my understanding. Volvo only supplied that part as the unit to screw into the roof. They called it the transmission or something like that. It's identical to the Golde sunroofs units used in beetles, bmw, mercedes, Porsche. With all the german car restoration that goes on now you can probably buy the part.

Maybe there is a bit of tension in the cables? Try lubricating the cables so they move easier and use some red loctite on the crank handle screw. Get a really well fitting screw driver so you have good leverage.
Thanks. It turns out that there have been several different variations on the transmission/gearbox. A friend sent one pulled from a junker but it was different and did not fit. Rats!

The first link is for the nut plates, the second is for the screws. They're the same for both sides so you need 2 of each.

It's been a while since I had a sunroof apart but I think you can slide the nut plates out with the gear housing out. If not, you'll need to remove the top cover plate to get to them.

The first link is for the nut plates, the second is for the screws. They're the same for both sides so you need 2 of each.

It's been a while since I had a sunroof apart but I think you can slide the nut plates out with the gear housing out. If not, you'll need to remove the top cover plate to get to them.
Thanks. I just looked around the wife's car a bit and it does appear that the nut plates must be removed from above. I will have to first get a replacement gear drive into place and then I can open it to take a look around. Meanwhile, I can tell the the nut threads on the first part of the right side nut plate are worn until the screw gets further up into it. I may be able to partially solve this with a longer screw. Will need a trip to the hardware store. Not sure if the thread is metric or not. Cheers

Back