• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 estate suspension recomendations (STIFF)?

pwalker

iv got a 96 940 estate and are shopping around for different springs and shockers. the car will be drifted regularily so ideally need to be very stiff. i read someones review of some a while ago saying that what they had put on had ruined the car and made it unbareble.....i proberbly want that set up haha.
so basically what springs and shocks do people recomend?
springs? spax? pi?

shockers? bilstien? koni?

cheers

iv got a 96 940 estate and are shopping around for different springs and shockers. the car will be drifted regularily so ideally need to be very stiff. i read someones review of some a while ago saying that what they had put on had ruined the car and made it unbareble.....i proberbly want that set up haha.
so basically what springs and shocks do people recomend?
springs? spax? pi?

shockers? bilstien? koni?

cheers

Are you sure or just guessing here?

Been to a local event to see what the successful guys are running?

the succsessfull guys dont tend to use volvos lol. iv got a skyline drift car aswell im not after it being perfect my skyline is for that. the volvo is just a cheap daily drift slag that i can run walls with etc and not worry. just want some nice basic cheap stiff suspension to make it reasonably driftable

Where are you?

There is nothing available off the shelf that is really stiff. You'll have to come up with something yourself using weld on spring platforms and 2.5" springs.
If you want it very stiff in roll, but compliant otherwise, get some off the shelf lowering springs and look for thicker anti roll bars, eg, a IPD set, or perhaps a ford explorer front and double stock rears.

Cut the stock springs. the effective spring rate will increase as well as your effective swag. and get some really stiff shocks, in my experience shocks do more to make the ride stiff than springs do

not that much. enough to know first hand the difference between stiff and soft shocks without a change in spring rate, and the difference between low and high spring rates without a change in shock damping

im from the north east of england.

was just thinking there my brother has all his old s14 driftworks suspension etc...going to have an investigate into how hard it would be to get that to work on it.

http://www.kaplhenke.com/ yeah i had a look here but they cost twice what i paid for the car haha :p

What you want to do is go to a junkyard, grab both swaybars and brackets off the front and make yourself a dual swaybar setup. Next have me or some other American friend send you some suburban/z71 front shocks for the rear of the Volvo with chopped springs. For the front search for DIY coilovers and use some Saab front bilsteins for shorter struts. Learn to use a welder and everything is cheaper like adj panhard bar and torque arms. Also search for the camber mod and g80 mod or weld it

Drop in a set of Benz w123 front springs in the rear, and get a pair of 740 diesel front springs....

Stiff as you'll need

I make a lot of custom parts here in the UK for these. I have done a few sets of extra stiff spring for the UK drift guys. Drifting does lend well to extra stiff springs keeping suspension movement to a minimum. You don't need anything special for a budget drift car.

Cut the stock springs. the effective spring rate will increase as well as your effective swag. and get some really stiff shocks, in my experience shocks do more to make the ride stiff than springs do
Cutting a couple coils will barely increase the rate.
And you obviously haven't ridden in a car with stiff springs.

Cheap aftermarket springs can be made to work. Search for stock car springs.

So do people think chopped diesel springs could be eneugh?,

Are the shockers not openable at the top no?, filled my old celica shocks with thicker oil and it worked surprisingly well!

Cutting a couple coils will barely increase the rate.
And you obviously haven't ridden in a car with stiff springs.

I've ridden in plenty of cars with stiff springs, as well as cars with chopped stock springs. I never said cutting your stock springs turns them into race springs. All I said is they do become stiffer

Back