• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW70 on last legs

Otto Mattik

board member
92 240 wagn 230k mi AW70

I purchased wagon for a low price over a year ago, knowing the tranny was failing & have since flushed it 3 times and added Lucas. My point is, lately it has gotten a bit worse during the 2 to 3 shift and it doesn't want to stay in overdrive or jumps back into 3rd on the slightest incline.

Any chance the overdrive solenoid could be part of the problem ?

* I've been looking for a "known" AW71 but no luck, and found an AW70 from a rear ended car w/ 93k mi. But still hoping for an AW71

You flushed it 3 times and added Lucas?

Did you also clean/change the oil strainer in the pan?

I would also try a different overdrive relay.

Checking the kick down cable is a good idea too.

Does the transmission slip, or merely have problems shifting and staying in gear?

I've had overdrive issues before, the only symptom (presuming the solenoid is the only point of failure) is that the transmission will never shift into 4th.

Try a new kickdown cable first. Mine was acting similar. Slipping, usually no OD...kickdown cable fixed it.

Thanks gents, :nod: the PO had kickdown cable replaced at a local Volvo dealer (like many other parts).

I don't know much about kickdown cable, but will investigate (Slipping occurs mainly on 2 to 3 shift).

* First flush produced a nasty grey/brown color. 2nd flush was much better. 3rd flush was conversion to Dex VI & result is bottom end torque improved

You flushed it 3 times and added Lucas?

Did you also clean/change the oil strainer in the pan?

I would also try a different overdrive relay.

Checking the kick down cable is a good idea too.

Does the transmission slip, or merely have problems shifting and staying in gear?

* Have not done pan/filter, but found records of PO having it done in past
* Slips on 2 to 3 shift and wants to jump back to 3rd gear on slightest incline

Yep thanks gents ! :nod:

I created some slack on kick down cable & things instantly improved ! After a test run I did a bit more, & even better. First try I created apprx 1/4-3/8" slack, then next time another 1/8". 2 to 3 shift slip also improved (or was it rainy weather helped cool trans ?)

Exact specs for that trans. cable adjustment (as you have learned, it matters) can be found on the UK Volvo 700/900 Maint. Pages. Adjusted mine 5 years ago, never had to touch it. You can also find the direct link near the top of the BB homepage.

Exact specs for that trans. cable adjustment (as you have learned, it matters) can be found on the UK Volvo 700/900 Maint. Pages. Adjusted mine 5 years ago, never had to touch it. You can also find the direct link near the top of the BB homepage.

Thanks, after a third adjustment (created slack) a grand total of 1/2-5/8" the car has no downshift issues(*also not certain but it seems to have stopped slipping ? Or possibly something else going on)

A) I suspect that the downshift cable may not have ever been adjusted properly (?)
B) I tried downshift button, & it still works perfect

THANK YOU

Thanks for advice on kickdown, made all the difference !!

Great! My 86 740 still shifts great and doesnt slip a year later after I replaced my kickdown cable. The lube goes away in the sheath and they can bind. I recommend blasting oil down in it if you decide not to replace it.

Back