• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone have access to 240 Parking Brake Parts?

pwschuh

Rolling...
This is a long shot...

The parts diagrams I can find for a Volvo 240 show an adjustable star-wheel device (called adjuster link) at the end of the pads that is opposite the expander.

But my 1984 240 Turbo came with a flat piece of bar stock to keep the separation at this end. It is about 5mm thick and 15mm wide. Each end has a square notch into which the frame of the parking brake shoe fits.

Looks kind of like part #17 on this diagram for an XC90:
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=234846&ukey_product=1114864

Does anyone have access to one of these from a 240?

Both of mine have been modified and I need to know exactly how deep the notches are on each end.

Thanks.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have those things sitting around. Both notches are the same depth.

It is my understanding that those star wheel adjusters were never supplied as OE on 240's. I think I read it here.

Attachments

• H brake.jpg
    H brake.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 76
:oops: Actually, this gets more complicated than I thought. I measured the notches on one of mine and they are both more shallow than yours (one's 8.8mm and one's 13.9mm). Then I realized that the whole link has been shortened. So if I'm going to recreate these from bar stock, I also need to know the overall length of the unmodifed link. Sorry, and thanks again.

Do a trial fitting before making the notches too deep. I bought a set of replacement parking brake pads that were too big to fit. I eventually cleaned up and re-used the original pads, but a deeper notch may have worked. I'm guessing that there is some variation in the pads themselves.

Do a trial fitting before making the notches too deep. I bought a set of replacement parking brake pads that were too big to fit.
Usually it's the other way round, never have had too big/thick parking brake shoes.

Best results are gained with a longer bar than original. Or with an adjuster. And always the cable adjustment loose.

I have a different problem. My new rear axle is an inch wider than the stock axle. Therefore the cable is already stretched longer just getting into the expander. I assumed that this "pretension" would make it hard for the brake to release all the way even when all the way off. But I made the mods while the axle was being built (trying to save time) but should have waited until it was installed to see if any modifications were even necessary, beyond just slacking the cable a little at the level.

Back