• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242DL LS3 Project

P/S been driving my V8 2 door wagon now for 33 years. I am going to build a lifted '87 wagon / camper soon, hope to take it out west for camping in the south west.

Cool I got more pics I will dig them out. If you click on those pics should take you to the image share site and better quality pics. I also got video will look for that. Bus is my same old junker 60 chev ex miltary travis air forced based 27 feet.. Used to be lots of pics of it on here untl photobucket went bad or I got mad and deleted my photobucket when the went for the money, shoulda left it ohh well, nothing lasts, prankster motto..

Simon

Bought the car from local Simon for the True Trac rear end. I had no intention of LS swapping the car. I actually sold the car twice when it was LS swap. Once with an Automatic trans, bought it back 2 years later. We reupholstered the interior and did a T56 manual swap 8.8 and few suspension mods. Sold the car to phil in the UK

Seems like it was a boomerang car for you then :).

Its Phil that sold the car to me… I think he regretted it but I paid a good price.

Took a couple pf pics of the new fronts today, terrible pictures as theyre in the container but…

51727323645_e30d82b57c_z.jpg

51727093684_3f480b465e_z.jpg

A set of Rotiform RSE 18 x 8.5" and I have aero discs too to fit them front & rear. Tyres are Nankang NS-2R 235/40 x 18

Last edited:
How are you going to get those to fit?

They're the correct offset and with a spacer of around 25-30mm they'll go straight on, and as a bonus, they'll clear the brakes.

Im just waiting on new hubs from kapelhenke, they should arrive Friday.

Wejjmeister - how about some background info on you and the project? It's certainly sounding impressive.

What are your goals? Where and how often do you expect to drive it? Is this your first 242? What else of interest is in your current/former fleet? What's your comfort level with your planned updates - what's old hat for you and what will be a new learning experience? Got anyone local with relevant Volvo and/or LS-swap experience to help out and compare builds?

Thanks, Bob

Wejjmeister - how about some background info on you and the project? It's certainly sounding impressive.

What are your goals? Where and how often do you expect to drive it? Is this your first 242? What else of interest is in your current/former fleet? What's your comfort level with your planned updates - what's old hat for you and what will be a new learning experience? Got anyone local with relevant Volvo and/or LS-swap experience to help out and compare builds?

Thanks, Bob

Hey Bob, yeah I guess in my haste I forgot to give much away!
So the goal for the car is to create a sort of Restomod 240 thats still got sleeper credentials. I have fallen in love with the character of the car, but as Im not a long time fan of Volvos and got into the scene more through the love of sleepers, I want to improve a few things. I know this might be sacrilege to a lot of folk, but this will be a keeper and I will try to be tasteful and keep the character. That answers your other question, yep, first 242, and first Volvo!

I will use the car as an allrounder, track, daily, maybe even the odd trip to Europe so she needs to be reliable and serviceable. Car history is mostly aircooled VW?s some slammed some quite quick and a few one offs, with a good smattering of more modern German cars, BMW?s and Porsche. I have built quite a few cars over the years so Im confident with most aspects and love designing and prototyping new solutions in the garage.

I do not know of anyone local to me with any Volvo experience to be honest, hence turning to you guys, its been a steep curve so far and having never owned a 4 link car or an LS3 I will be seeking guidance before jumping in. Ive read lots, made a few wrong assumptions and am slowly (by reading endless build threads) working out whats what!

The car was a weapon before I started work on her, I just know theres way more to get out of her. Hope that all makes some sort of sense!

New parts arrived from BNE - the UK import duties and fees are ridiculous though, wont be buying anything from the USA again for a while.

New bearings arrive tomorrow so hoping to get the new hubs on. I had emailed Classic Swede to enquire about Gaz fronts but after chasing I may have to seek these elsewhere. Any ideas?

51749280721_17000c78a8_z.jpg

51749528718_fbef07f658_z.jpg

51749928214_2e60acd6cb_z.jpg

51749928254_3b13f65d76_z.jpg

I will hopefully have some progress shots by the end of the week. Havent touched the car as Ive been changing my workshop around in preparation for the new fabrication table I have ordered.

What's the story on that lower front chassis brace? I was planning on basically building that out of a set of Yoshifab lowers.

I think they are made in the UK by a guy called Viking Fabrications but Im not 100% as they were already fitted to the car when I bought it. I will ask Phil the previous owner and let you know.

Managed to find a little time today to fit some of the parts I have been accumulating, and also to test fit the wheels. I always find wheels stressful as the offsets and brake spacing calculations leave little to no margin for error and prove extremely costly if wrong.

I started off by removing the old hub and the S60R calliper.

51790405469_b126353b6e_c.jpg

I will be replacing all of the brake lines when the Tilton pedal set gets installed, so for now I left the hose unattached.

The BNE made ARB adjusters were really easy to fit, a good job I replaced them as the rubber donuts were starting to break up. Ive set them up the same as stock for now and will adjust after I get the new coilovers on. The picture was taken before the top bolt was tightened...

51789087767_17f57435d5_c.jpg

Once the new bearings were in the redialled hub, I could get the 17Z mounted up. Once again, the BNE adapters are so well made, it all bolted up without any drama.

51790771275_83474ab4ef_c.jpg

So for the wheels...

51790151263_4166e7ab8f_c.jpg

Much more sticky rubber in contact with the road, and a nice shiny calliper behind it, I was smiling at this point as it all clears really well. A tiny bit of rolling on the arch and it will be perfect.

51790026611_332ea79c55_c.jpg

I trial fit the aerodiscs next, they don't have my graphic on yet, but it gives you an idea of the look I am going for.

51790151168_0e797082d6_c.jpg

I hope this is well received, Im not trying to upset the purists, but since Im new to the Volvo scene I really have no clue of acceptable and unacceptable mods.

Looks really good!

If you want another option, there is always JRZ... its not cheap but they would go direct to you from Holland so should be less import fees and only your standard 25% VAT?

Let me know if you are interested,

Looks really good!

If you want another option, there is always JRZ... its not cheap but they would go direct to you from Holland so should be less import fees and only your standard 25% VAT?

Let me know if you are interested,

I did look at these on the site but initially thought the cost would be crazy. If they come from Holland though it might be a little better. Im just trying to work out the rear setup now with the 8.8 and your top arms. I like the idea of longer coilovers and a Watts linkage, but also want super wide tyres, so will be scratching my head for a while. I will revisit the JRZ now, thanks.

I did look at these on the site but initially thought the cost would be crazy. If they come from Holland though it might be a little better. Im just trying to work out the rear setup now with the 8.8 and your top arms. I like the idea of longer coilovers and a Watts linkage, but also want super wide tyres, so will be scratching my head for a while. I will revisit the JRZ now, thanks.

I sent you an email. We are about to machine some items that may interest you.

I hope this is well received, Im not trying to upset the purists, but since Im new to the Volvo scene I really have no clue of acceptable and unacceptable mods.

Turbobricks isn't really the forum for purists. It's more about having fun with cars. Not a concours restoration type of crowd.

I sent you an email. We are about to machine some items that may interest you.

Definitely interested! Ive replied, thanks.

Happy New Year!

If you wondered where those dents came from...

Jerry Garcia the Dog loved to drive it back in the day!

Happy new year to you too!

I had wondered where they came from, I wrongly concluded that they were sustained in transit to the UK, as a couple of cars Ive shipped have been damaged like that. Thanks for the insight!

Turbobricks isn't really the forum for purists. It's more about having fun with cars. Not a concours restoration type of crowd.

I am getting that vibe, I think I just started on the wrong foot with the whole IRS thing :oops:

Managed to get a little more done on the car over the past couple of evenings. Started off by getting the other side to the same setup with the BNE ARB drop link and the Brembo calliper. I need new pads so haven't fitted this side yet.

51802770707_9cef573f9c_c.jpg

The new tyres increase the contact patch massively too, really happy. Ordered the rears today 265/35 R18, again, bit more grip wont go amiss.

51803728136_93afaf269b_c.jpg

Next task was to remove the Tilton master cylinder and the Mustang MC and servo booster. I had to take the strut brace off to do so, realised its been hammered on the underside to clear the master cylinder. Removed the brake and clutch mc’s and have to say, the engine bay looks much cleaner. I just wish it was the same colour as the rest of the car now, hmmm might have to do it.

51804451895_925affb6b8_c.jpg

51804451945_b5a94e7d0e_c.jpg

Next task was to start measuring for the Tilton pedals, not fun… I started off with an oversized plate just to allow the pedals to sit flush and secure.

51803844508_866aa1415b_c.jpg

51804451820_07e997f24f_c.jpg

51803728081_5fd771a9ed_c.jpg

Last edited:
Back