• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Reproduction ID plates?

HighMans

Anyone know of anyone making reproduction ID plates? Need to get one "made" for my '91 740.

WHNbVNG.png

Altered VIN plates will get your car taken away from you in most states...

LOL. I've no intentions in altering my VIN Plate -- I was replacing that whole piece of the body and thought I had kept the original plate. Unfortunately, I must've tossed it out somewhere :/

I think there is a way to get the original VIN plate attached. I think you need to go the DMV or maybe the police station with the correct paperwork. not 100% positive though.

Not sure about Cali, but in Wa state you simply schedule a 'VIN inspection' with the state patrol. I've done it several times over the years. In Wa state, they throw out registration records after 7 years. I've bought and resurrected several derelict vehicles and they have no DMV records available. With no title, you get it inspected and after three years they issue a title. In your case, the DMV inspector would supervise you installing the replacement plate after they verified that it was a correct replacement. I did this exact same thing on my 72 Wagoneer years ago that had a corroded VIN plate.

Then you have to pay a tow yard to get your car back with the "evidence" removed

And a cellmate named Bubba.[/QUOTE]

Naw, more like some probation.....at least that's what my "friend" told me.

Is this what rolling back an odometer has morphed into?

Technically if you drive with a broken odometer that is the same as a rollback in the eyes of Johnny Law.

Anyone who has ever had a 240 is guilty of this.

Why are you at all concerned about it? That isn't your VIN. The one on the corner of your dash is what the DMV will go by. The plate in your picture is a build tag. There is also a permanent VIN stamped into the passenger side door jamb in between the 2 door hinges. If anything, that is the VIN a VIN inspector is looking for.

Technically if you drive with a broken odometer that is the same as a rollback in the eyes of Johnny Law.

Anyone who has ever had a 240 is guilty of this.

Wasn't really trying to be technical.
As usual, my response was lost in translation.

Why are you at all concerned about it? That isn't your VIN. The one on the corner of your dash is what the DMV will go by. The plate in your picture is a build tag. There is also a permanent VIN stamped into the passenger side door jamb in between the 2 door hinges. If anything, that is the VIN a VIN inspector is looking for.

Oh I know, all that's intact and legible.

It's just something that I'd like to add back to the car having accidentally & stupidly thrown it away. It's hard to explain -- it just something that'd make me happy lol

Maybe contact Dave at Prancing moose.com. Perhaps he make a high quality sticker that you can then attach to a piece of metal and rivet to your car.

Back