• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best tire choice for a 16X9?

Fauxpas

Hey everybody, what tire size could I run with a 16X9, with 5" backspacing all around? The vehicle is a 1985 244, at stock ride height, no rolled fenders or spacers.
What would be the largest I could comfortably run everyday without too much rubbing? The car isn't driven hard, so performance tires won't be needed, just something on the less expensive side.

Thanks!

16x8's

I am running 16x8 steel Corsa wheels. I have 225/50's. If I did it again I would do 225/45 or even 205/50 series. I have 4" back spacing. Front is great, rear rubs a little.

Pretty sure BFG still makes the G-Force Sport 2's in a few 16" sizes that would work, we used to run a 225/45-16 on the back of the Skippy R/T cars. Great all-around tire.

I am running 16x8 steel Corsa wheels. I have 225/50's. If I did it again I would do 225/45 or even 205/50 series. I have 4" back spacing. Front is great, rear rubs a little.

What kind of suspension are you on? Are you lowered?

Adjustable Koni stuff all around from BNE with his lowered struts and adjustable rear spring perches. I only have it lowered a couple inches. I'm in Idaho and the roads are not the smoothest. I have about a 1" gap between top of tires and fender lips.

Adjustable Koni stuff all around from BNE with his lowered struts and adjustable rear spring perches. I only have it lowered a couple inches. I'm in Idaho and the roads are not the smoothest. I have about a 1" gap between top of tires and fender lips.

Ah, so I should be able to run more sidewall on my tire, as I?m a bit higher? You run a 225/50, right? About what aspect ratio would be just an inch or two taller than that?

Yeah, 16 inch is not a popular size, so most tires are 205s or 225s. And even then there's not much variety.

A 225/50r16 would be the easiest to find, but if you're not lowered its going to look terrible. Though most larger wheels on a non lowered 240 look terrible.

Judging by your original post, saying that its not for performance reasons, and since you're not lowered its not for style reasons either, you'd be better off getting narrower wheels, then just run 205/55r16.

No reason to run those wheels on an unmodded car, just grow a pair, throw on some virgos, paint them gold and profit. Spend the tire money on suspension and performance. Or go all the way and throw 24" donkadonks on a sh1tbox and party.

Yeah, 16 inch is not a popular size, so most tires are 205s or 225s. And even then there's not much variety.

A 225/50r16 would be the easiest to find, but if you're not lowered its going to look terrible. Though most larger wheels on a non lowered 240 look terrible.

Judging by your original post, saying that its not for performance reasons, and since you're not lowered its not for style reasons either, you'd be better off getting narrower wheels, then just run 205/55r16.

+1 for all this.

I'm running 225/50 on 16x9.5 on one of my cars, buts it's also slammed. Any bit of tire stretch otherwise looks silly. Its very hard to pull of non-stock size wheel/tire combo on a 240 without it being very low

No reason to run those wheels on an unmodded car, just grow a pair, throw on some virgos, paint them gold and profit. Spend the tire money on suspension and performance. Or go all the way and throw 24" donkadonks on a sh1tbox and party.

Some Virgo wheels? I've got a decent set I can throw on the car, but they look awful without spacers. I'm really just looking for a wider stance without major rubbing, hence the wider 16X9 wheels. How wide can spacers on the front and rear be without rolling fenders?

Some Virgo wheels? I've got a decent set I can throw on the car, but they look awful without spacers. I'm really just looking for a wider stance without major rubbing, hence the wider 16X9 wheels. How wide can spacers on the front and rear be without rolling fenders?

You could probably run 20mm adapters, but I'm just guessing.

But its not going to look any better at stock height. You should invest in lowering springs first. Unless you're going for the 4x4 look.

I'm telling you, Sport Comp 2 by BFG. It comes in that size and was literally the tire that every Racing School Vehicle wore at Skip Barber for like 10 years. I've melted probably 500 of the things, and driven thousands of miles on track in all conditions on the things. They aren't an R-Comp, but they are great on track anyway.

Good grip, nice predictable breakaway, huge temp window, excellent in the rain, they make an all-season version (all the formula cars ran on the all season for all school and regional races. Only the MX-5 Cup and Nationals Series ran the R/Ts on the summer tread pattern and compound), and they are dual compound so they stick all the way to the cords.

There are only a few options for what you're looking for, but this one is a really good option.

I just bought a set of Yokohama A052's in 225/45/16 and 205/50/16... they were shockingly expensive. Replacing a set of Dunlop Direzza's which I really liked but the sizes are back ordered until may.

edit: tire rack just emailed the 225/45's are backordered with no date ugh

Last edited:
Back