home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #26
soclosenotnear
Board Member

And here's to getting some much needed tightness in the m47 shifter. Thanks sts machining. Any tips to installing these?

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-14-2017 at 10:48 PM..
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #27
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

ooh, nice.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #28
soclosenotnear
Board Member

So I've been having trouble getting the oil sandwich plate gasket to seal. Hopefully third time's a charm. This time I drained the coolant and took the sandwich plate off to get a better look and make sure the gasket seats properly.

I cleaned the channel the gasket sits in with a wire brush and made sure the gasket was perfectly in the groove. I tightened and retightened the bolt that holds it on. I ran the car for twenty minutes or so on jack stands while I burped the coolant. Everything was dry so far. I'll check again after a drive tomorrow morning. Oh, how I hope my oil leak woes are gone.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-14-2017 at 10:49 PM..
Old 05-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #29
soclosenotnear
Board Member

and fail

again
Old 05-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #30
244ti
Board Member

Going by memory one is square and one is round.

95 944T, M-47 3.31 TME catback ipd sways E-codes. 9 psi
94 945T, 984 w/freds chips, 3" exaust T.L.A.O., V cam/adj gear, ipd sways, taskmule heatshield, 15G ported, E-codes. JAW. 15 psi
244ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #31
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member

Sorry for your luck. Could there be a nick in the mating face on the filter relocation arm?

It appears that you do have the correct gasket (3547188, #5 in the pic below)
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #32
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolvolvo View Post
Sorry for your luck. Could there be a nick in the mating face on the filter relocation arm?

It appears that you do have the correct gasket (3547188, #5 in the pic below)
It was smooth to the touch and looked fine. Whenever I work up the motivation, I'm going to rtv it next time and hopefully be done with it.

I finished up replacing the last of my hoses. Do88 intake hose and idle valve hoses. I noticed a small cut in one of my idle hoses so hopefully that may solve my sporadic high idle. If not, I can rest on the vacuum leak searching and move on to something else.

I made the decision to keep the factory air box but decided to throw in a k&n panel filter. I ordered a used one on eBay but was sent the wrong one or something. Hopefully I can work something out with the seller so I can pick up another one that fits.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-14-2017 at 10:53 PM..
Old 05-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #33
soclosenotnear
Board Member

So, I thought this door edge being black was weird. I don't remember my old 744 having that. It reminded me of the top of 240 doors, so I sought to get rid of it the same way. It didn't come out quite as clean around the edges as I'd have liked but I didn't spend too much time on it this morning. These erasers are awesome. I also removed a few stickers that were on the car with it.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-14-2017 at 10:58 PM..
Old 06-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #34
soclosenotnear
Board Member

I was able to crawl up under the car this morning before it got hot. I've been needing to notch the bottom of the air box because it was pushing up against the do88 intercooler coupler. I finally got it done today just by cutting a wedge out and resealing it.

I also installed a used k&n filter I picked up off the board after a fresh cleaning. I broke a clip off the airbox afterward but rigged it back up to close well.

Then, I finally got around to installing the shifter bushings. Everything came apart easily and was pretty straight forward. The old bushings werent in awful shape and the new ones didnt get rid of all my slop in the shifter.The STS bronze bushings fit well though and did make shifts a little more crisp.

Oh, and confirmed the previous previous owner installed a short throw shifter of sorts with the m47 swap.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:23 PM..
Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #35
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Not much of an update, but I got my windshield replaced this week.. the joys of actually taking advantage of car insurance.

Other than that, still have a small pesky oil leak. Still have a sporadic high idle. But she's been running good. Ac has been nice and cold so far this summer.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #36
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Just found your 940T thread.... and your car looks a lot like mine! Nice work, and I see you are learning the 9 series.

I've shared your pain with my own heater core replacement.... detailed that nightmare in my build thread. Not something I want to do again! I did use a copper replacement, only to find the connection bibs were soldered "slightly different" than OEM. I sure hope you don't have to go back in....... I don't want to see that guy again!

Just skimming thru..... did you buy the do88 Intercooler as well, or just the hoses/pipes? I had the full setup in my shopping basket, but just couldn't pull the trigger ($$$$). I've kept my factory FMIC at 16 PSI, and have not blown it apart yet. I'm hoping this winter I can finally get my M90 and LSD rear installed in my car. And then there's that T3/T04 Hybrid I bought from you years back :-)

Speaking of cool AC, I've been driving the last month with the windows down, as my 92 has developed a leak. Full charge of R134a cools great for a day, but by day#3 she's flat. Just as soon as my Ford Van is running again (also down for AC) I'll put the 940 in the cool basement workshop and find/fix the leak.

Great to see another "Polar White" 4 door sedan looking good!

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #37
flipstah
Board Member

I'll take that cupholder armrest. :D
flipstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #38
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Just found your 940T thread.... and your car looks a lot like mine! Nice work, and I see you are learning the 9 series.

I've shared your pain with my own heater core replacement.... detailed that nightmare in my build thread. Not something I want to do again! I did use a copper replacement, only to find the connection bibs were soldered "slightly different" than OEM. I sure hope you don't have to go back in....... I don't want to see that guy again!

Just skimming thru..... did you buy the do88 Intercooler as well, or just the hoses/pipes? I had the full setup in my shopping basket, but just couldn't pull the trigger ($$$$). I've kept my factory FMIC at 16 PSI, and have not blown it apart yet. I'm hoping this winter I can finally get my M90 and LSD rear installed in my car. And then there's that T3/T04 Hybrid I bought from you years back :-)

Speaking of cool AC, I've been driving the last month with the windows down, as my 92 has developed a leak. Full charge of R134a cools great for a day, but by day#3 she's flat. Just as soon as my Ford Van is running again (also down for AC) I'll put the 940 in the cool basement workshop and find/fix the leak.

Great to see another "Polar White" 4 door sedan looking good!
Thanks for the kind words. Your build threads have always been inspiring and I only wish I had that much attention to detail.

I am still rocking the factory intercooler, although one day I will pull the trigger on the do88 version. The "plug and play" aspect draws me in. All of their products really are top notch though. The pipes and hoses were due for replacement per stage zero. As of late, I've been focusing on a "buy once, cry once" mentality, so trying to make the best decisions the first time.

My idea is to slowly upgrade everything, with the turbo being last. Intercooler, exhaust and cam and then we'll see what the 13c is capable of.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #39
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Tests I read years back from Anthony Hyde (Australia) stated he found the stock FMIC was good to ~ 17PSI before the attachment of the end tanks begin to "creep".... and failure will follow. Of course this being TB, many claim to have run much higher pressures.... "last liar never stands a chance!" You'll be happy with 16 PSI, which will move the family sedan quite nicely. I've been told that eEuroparts can ordered the do88 FMIC.
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #40
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Much has happened the last few days with my car. Firstly, I noticed a noise. Oh great... But car wasn't down on power and didn't seem drive train related. Then, I decided to finally finish peeling platidip off of my rpf1s. I will never use the stuff again. I'd guess my buddies and I have ten-ish man hours in getting them completely clean. But it's done. Got my motorsport tech adapters on, mounted the rpf1s and gave the calipers a fresh coat of paint. I'm really happy with how the car looks now, with the exception of needing new lower suspension out back. Wheels need rebalanced as there is a shimmy in the wheel now. Here are some glamour shots.

Wheels are 17x8 front and 17x9 rear +35 offset. Motorsport tech adapters are 25mm hub and lugcentric. Tires are some off brand (read cheap) 225/45.

On its inaugural drive, I felt something and that new bothersome noise went away. Luckily, I wasn't far from home and as I pulled into my driveway, my temp gauge started rising. I opened the hood and after some work, found this.

The pulley literally came apart in to two parts. The pump itself sounded bad also. A quick trip to the junk yard and I was gonna be good to go, or so I thought. More on this later.

Since I was already pulling all the belts off, I thought now was the time to get my ipd turbo cam in, with adjustable gear. This involved switching to square tooth gears. I know this is probably worse than having a round tooth setup, but I had it on hand. A cam swap and adjusting the valves was not an easy task for my skill level, but went fairly smooth seemingly doing the job three times. Plus lots of new parts along the way and a timing belt cover. Much better... I advanced the cam 2.5 degrees.

I got it all back together and putting accessory belts on, discovered ipd had sent me the wrong belts. I put in a new order to fcp and also didn't get the belt I needed for power steering. Disappointed, I took a trip to the parts store with my old broken belt, and bought the closest thing they had. It was barely too short and barely too wide but I thought it would be alright....

Came out like this:

Fired her up easily. Idled smooth. Shut her down . Filled the steering fluid reservoir up and went for a spin. Cam pulls well and feels great but my power steering pump didn't sound great at all. Got home and the belt just isn't going to work. It was pulling too hard on the pulley. I pulled it off immediately and now have to hunt for the right belt. So at this point, she's out of commission for a moment.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:31 PM..
Old 09-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #41
soclosenotnear
Board Member

The belt that was on the car was from advance auto, part number 40013. 6 bucks later and I'm rolling again. Is bleeding of power steering fluid necessary?

In other news, how close is too close for wheel/tire and strut clearance? I guess the coilover lockout ring is really what's close, so I could raise the front end. Right now, I can slide my key in between, but barely, so 1/16" maybe?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #42
soclosenotnear
Board Member

To remedy a broken door handle, I decided to swap on some s/v90 door handles. Came out nice enough.

I also raised the front end a tad. Still need to have the wheels and tires balanced and get an alignment.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:33 PM..
Old 10-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #43
shaved240
Board Member

wheels look amazing!!
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD

on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungledorifuto View Post
ship me that m46 for 40 bucks and im game
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #44
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaved240 View Post
wheels look amazing!!
Muchos gracias
Old 10-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #45
Matt
ICY HOT STUNTA

prettaayyyy good

SHOtime - '90 744 Turbo
The LowCar - '93 945 Turbo
Ghetto Superstar/SkidCar - '88 740
Brown - '85 740 Turbo
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #46
okoye
Board Member

if the back could come down that thing would look more killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #47
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
prettaayyyy good
Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
if the back could come down that thing would look more killer.

Thanks fellas. And thanks for whoever gave me one star! It's the first I've ever gotten, ha.

But alas, I started my car up this morning and had dash lights galore. Before, there were none. There were seriously like 8 dash lights on. Bulb out, srs, abs, service and more. I just drove it two days ago with no issues. Frustrated, I had to hop in my civic and get to work. So, I've got investigating to do tomorrow...
Old 10-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #48
okoye
Board Member

It could be that you're losing charge. When my car wasn't being charged by the alternator the gauge lit up like a tree. Then died of course.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #49
soclosenotnear
Board Member

That's what I found by searching. I've already replaced the alternator once since owning the car, but with another high mileage unit. So, that'll be what I check out first.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #50
soclosenotnear
Board Member

So, I imagine all those lights came on, in fact, because my alternator wasnt working. My alternator wasnt working because my crank pulley had loosened itself. This caused the dowel on my crank timing pulley to shear off. This about sums up my skills as a mechanic as well as my frustration. I apparently didn't tighten it down well enough. It's the damndest thing to be so bad at working on my car and it's my favorite hobby at the same time. Now, I am off to the wanted section.