home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 10-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #51
SquareD
An Anomaly

Just make it a lesson learned. Even when you're paranoid like I am and check things 2 to 3 times as you go, you still make mistakes. Car looks great, stay at it.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, SSQV BOV, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #52
Chuck W
Board Member

The skills will improve, don't worry too much about that.

The car looks great! I'm having to really fight the urge to replace the 850 with a face-lifted 940.
'83 Tbird Turbo (2.3T/T5/MegaSquirt)
My feedback thread
Chuck W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #53
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Eh, if I didn't do a job three times, how would it ever get done? At least it wasn't a costly fix. That's the important thing considering being a (new) homeowner is biting me in the ass right now.

A member of the board sold me a crank gear for a very fair $23 shipped and hopefully it made it out today. If that's the case, I can be rolling again on my day off this Thursday.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #54
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Got my new crank timing sprocket on and put everything else back together. I swear I can change a timing belt like nobody's business at least now. Seems to be running well again. My wheels must be stupidly out of balance, because the steering wheel shakes horribly at 45mph. So, next week that's the plan, or maybe Sunday.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #55
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Tried to get my wheels balanced this morning. One of them they had a hard time with. I remembered one of the tires going flat when they were on my girlfriend's car, but I didn't think they were driven on that way. They ripped the tire off and there were bits of rubber inside making it impossible to balance. Cleaned it out and said he had had no issues after that. He said the tire was still in good shape but he would consider replacing when possible. Anyways... I still have a bit of a steering wheel shake, although not nearly what it was before. Could this be due to the poor alignment I'm sure I have right now, or do you guys say it's more wheel/tire balance related still?

Oh, and am now in dire need of an adjustable panhard bar with 17x9s in the back.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #56
soclosenotnear
Board Member

No update in a while as it has been sitting a lot more than being driven. But today, a buddy and I tackled several things. The relocator arm to sandwich plate gasket for a fourth time. And also the front cam seal and valve cover gasket. I'm not sure which had a slight leak but hopefully that is now leak free. I did not have time to take the car for a ride before running out of daylight, but so far so good on the oil leaks.

One issue I did notice is that I am leaking coolant between the head and water pump. That will most likely get ordered tonight. Is there a general consensus on the best water pump to get these days?

Also, I got a kaplhenke panhard bar to center the rear end. For now, it will get another coil cut off the springs and the fenders rolled with my Eastwood roller. Daughter approved:

I'm waiting on a new intercooler from do88.se to arrive. Thatll be a hopefully exciting and uneventful install along with the panhard bar in the near future. And the water pump, then drive.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:38 PM..
Old 01-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #57
Wilford Brimley
enjoys the beetus

Cute kiddo
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=316428 91'744T .57 t3/t4, big ic, greddy type s, 55lb/hr injectors, bosch 044, tloa ecu/ezk, 3"amm, rsi stg 3 cam, ttr cam gear, top mount header, 3" exhaust, kevlar tbelt, e-fan, 22 psi, intrax springs, cherry turbo brace, ipd rear sway, dual front sway bars, bilstein struts, camber mod, accum mod
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #58
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Still waiting on my water pump to come in the mail. But today, I did this:

New helper today ^^^

I really ended up having to get rid of the factory air box to facilitate the do88 pipes. I could have hacked the box all to hell, but I had this laying around. I'll build a heat shield of sorts before long.

My bracket's rubber did not need any trimming like the website says, but the rubber portion was smaller than on my older 740 which is the length of the entire bracket. I'm guessing that's why.

I love the factory like fitment.

I'll get my water pump installed after it makes it here, then I can offer some feedback on this intercooler.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:44 PM..
Old 01-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #59
RDC
Poovey Farms Mechanic

is your filter relocator now not leaking?
Jeeps, Alfas... and enough parts to build a house out of

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
I'm not a fan of anus painus.
RDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #60
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC View Post
is your filter relocator now not leaking?
I recently redid that gasket, this time with a film of rtv. I also changed my front cam seal and valve cover gasket after my sloppy cam install. After cleaning everything up during those, I fired the car up and noticed my water pump is leaking. I haven't really driven it to see if giving her some pressure will cause it to leak. It didn't at idle...
Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #61
InTheWhite
Board Member

Realy nice car you got there.

Are you satisfied with the do88 intercooler? I'm thinking about get one myself.
InTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #62
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheWhite View Post
Realy nice car you got there.

Are you satisfied with the do88 intercooler? I'm thinking about get one myself.
I haven't driven the car more than around the block after the install. But the quality and fitment is great so far. It is super heavy. And big. It fit perfectly within the brackets like stock. I don't know how much performance increase would be felt on my 13c but will report after swapping water pumps and driving more.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #63
soclosenotnear
Board Member

I also installed kaplhenke's panhard bar. It is a very nice piece as well. I only got it bolted on. I still intend to cut another coil out back and roll some fenders as it's not even with the front. I'll adjust it more afterward.

No pictures installed because I only ever finish what I'm working on when it's pitch black outside.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:46 PM..
Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #64
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Today, a buddy and I got a new hepu water pump installed along with a new thermostat. Everything seemingly is leak free. *Crosses fingers* I also got another coil cut out back to better match the front ride height and adjusted the panhard bar to match. I've got to get my eastwood roller back from a friend... The fenders have to be rolled. They are just about sitting on the tires right now.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #65
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Got my eastwood roller back but ended up using a bar and then baseball bat method anyways. They came out nice and smooth and no rubbing at all. The panhard bar is adjusted just right and I like the ride height.

Intercooler is good to go but can't tell much difference at this level. I am smelling a burning smell when I get into boost hard. I noticed my windshield wiper fluid is leaking. Lots of little things now. And hopefully some driving.

Edit:: and both back doors don't open since swapping to new door handles...? Front driver's side door opens fine after the swap. Front passenger side didn't get swapped because I broke a bolt in the new one. Sucks to suck.

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Old 03-19-2017, 04:21 PM   #66
soclosenotnear
Board Member

So, the day after my last post, I woke up excited to drive my car to work. My trip is about 30 miles each way. I was about half way there and my oil pressure light blinked for a split second under hard breaking. A couple miles later, it blinked on again. I started watching my gauge and i wasn't getting over 2 bar... I eventually rolled into my parking lot at work with very low oil pressure at idle but no bad noises. Disappointed and frustrated and scared, I popped the hood. The dipstick showed no oil (actually ended up having maybe a quart or more left). I couldn't find any obvious place where all of my oil could have leaked out to, but the turbo side was oily. I had her towed home in sorrow.

I decided to rip apart the entire turbo side of the engine and fix all of my oil leak problems once and for all. Progress has been/will be very slow but the plan is to reassemble with a straight flange 16t since everything is apart. Today, I discovered the oil pressure sender itself (which someone had suggested to me earlier ) was cracked all the way around. I sincerely hope replacing this remedies all of my oil leaking issues that I thought had been the filter relocation arm. It's difficult to see in the picture.

Along the way, I'll (hopefully) be porting the 90+ and installing stainless -an lines for oil feed and return. I also got yoshifabs 10an return fitting installed in the block. Following the instructions made install a breeze.

My theory is the oil pressure sender was leaking at higher rpms. It was leaking onto the water pipe hence all the dirtiness in that area. Then ran onto the oil cooler hoses and to the sandwich plate/filter/etc. I was mislead, or so I hope, thinking the relocating arm was not sealing.

**Where can one source a new oil pressure sender?

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:49 PM..
Old 03-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #67
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post

Intercooler is good to go but can't tell much difference at this level. I am smelling a burning smell when I get into boost hard. I noticed my windshield wiper fluid is leaking. Lots of little things now. And hopefully some driving.
Keep it up, the car looks great! You'll get it sorted out before long

1991 780 Sold
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #68
volvonyc
Board Member

looks good
volvonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:09 PM   #69
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Keep it up, the car looks great! You'll get it sorted out before long
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvonyc View Post
looks good

Thank you guys. It definitely will get squared away at some point. I'm determined with this car. I'm a new dad and a new homeowner on one income so progress is slow in the time and money departments. I did, however, order the new oil pressure sender referenced in this thread in case anyone stumbles across this via searching:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=331070

Once that comes in, the side of the block will get a good cleaning and it'll slowly get put back together.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #70
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Got the new oil pressure sender installed as well as the oil feed line. Cleaned the block pretty well to hopefully quickly identify any oil leaks. This was just while the baby napped.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get my hands on some new gaskets for the oil cooler system and get that bolted back on. Then I can focus on getting the 90+ ported and the 16t situated.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #71
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Spent an hour or so out there wrenching today. Got new gin-u-wine Volvo gaskets and bolted the oil cooler back together. I also slotted the 90+ support bracket and bolted it to the block.

I got the downpipe unbolted. I started trying to pull the studs out of the 16t hotside. Two came out easily; I was impressed. On the third, the stud broke. Hopefully I can get a buddy to get these last three studs out of the hotside and also to weld up a v band to that and the downpipe. I'm ready to get this thing together.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #72
photoman327
Board Member

Don't know how I missed this but looking great. It going to be interesting how the m-47 holds up. But 2.4, 3.31 it should be great on the MPG
photoman327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #73
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Good problem solving so far. Car looks great!

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Everyone should start with a 2 year education at BB learning how to make the cars work before they come here to destroy them.
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #74
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Good problem solving so far. Car looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman327 View Post
Don't know how I missed this but looking great. It going to be interesting how the m-47 holds up. But 2.4, 3.31 it should be great on the MPG
Thanks for the kind words. But, honestly, I'd be tickled to death if she ever ran well enough to break the m47 in it.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #75
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Had some time off today and spent it working on the car. I'm still figuring out how to get my hotside squared away, so that's got me stuck. I put all the timing components back together. I kept the cam advanced 2.5°. I also notched the top cover so I didn't have to take the water pump pulley off to get the cover off.

After that, I took the 13c off the manifold and did this:

This is my first time "porting" anything. It came out well enough I think. Tomorrow I'm gonna hog out the 16t hot side a little. It'll have to follow better than stock, yes?

Last edited by soclosenotnear; 07-16-2017 at 09:51 PM..